3DCoat Forums

How to get started from scratch (splash screen) with the projector by Silas Merlin

• Carlosan changed the title to How to get started from scratch (splash screen) with the projector by Silas Merlin
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Here is another one from start to finish (just the high poly).
I had one main image as projector, but I was also looking at a handful of pictures from several other angles on my secondary monitor (not recorded).
Google will retrieve other pictures for you if you search for royal dux spring, or peasant.
This is just one way to go about it, I will try to make other videos to show other ways. No voice, but I think most of what I do is in full view, clicking buttons and menus, the few things I do with shortcuts are not critical. but anyway if there are questions ask here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor
It turns out that when you export a render from render room, then go to the sculpt room (without moving the camera), import the render as a stencil, (from camera by default), hit reset.... the stencil is magically perfectly alligned with the object. if you then "pick from stencil" in the projector panel, you are projecting the render to your object. Of course that's just from one angle. but, after you "fill layer with projection", you can easily create a clip mask for it with rectangle stroke mode and ignore back faces. and then repeat the process from several angles. then you can just paint over.

---- Which, to me, means that in practice, the projector gives us the "bake light with environement" feature.

It is not really "fiddly", because there is no... fiddling to do. Just a series of quick, easy steps.

and it's actually better than doing it in Substance Painter, which limits you to 2 lights + sun.

I wish we could use point lights and projector (lights) in the render room. Are they going to add that ?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...