3DCoat Forums

Bug: carve tool is wrong vs 2D Paint tool

• Advanced Member

In all recent versions, the Carve tool behavior is wrong. It adds to the geometry, but carving means to form by removal of material. The behavior of this tool should be inverted by default.

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hello

We are always open to requesting features.

How should it be?

It should just be Inverted by default.   When you left click, it should remove geometry. When ctrl-left click, it should add. The current behavior is the opposite.

I think Anton is talking about something else?

• Contributor

Ah, yes, I was talking about that the brush has a completely changed behaviour from the previous versions.

So in this video from 3 years ago -

You can see you could draw in space around. Now it's impossible and people are complaining in the comments. It was a very powerful feature

Edited by AntonTenitsky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, sprayer said:

what the difference between old carve tool and 2d paint tool?

2d paint works on planes, old carve was freeform on 3d space, the limit was your computing power :D

Edited by Koray

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Koray said:

2d paint works on planes, old carve was freeform on 3d space, the limit was your computing power :D

Try different options in 2d paint tool it can draw in very similar way

for example with this settings

C7wQ3KT.jpg

Edited by sprayer

Then please update me.

- Carve tool is ok, it does not need changes. It only has to be inverted by default.

- Carve tool >  the brush has a completely changed behaviour from the previous versions. Is going to be replaced by 2dpaint tool.

- Could please try the tool and tell me what it needs to be improved/modified to make it as functional as before the carve tool previous versions was ?

Thx in advance

• Carlosan changed the title to Bug: carve tool is wrong vs 2D Paint tool
  • Advanced Member
On 7/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, Carlosan said:

Then please update me.

- Carve tool is ok, it does not need changes. It only has to be inverted by default.

Thx in advance

This is my request and I am happy with that. Should be a super easy fix.

Question: 2d-paint tool cant mimic old carve tool ?

AntonTenitsky: alright if you turn on plane definition while drawing then it is like carve tool.

So please everyone:

Try 2d-tool and list what it needs to be improved/modified to make it as functional as before carve tool -previous versions- was.

2d paint works on planes, old carve was freeform on 3d space

- Try different options in 2d paint tool it can draw in very similar way. For example with this settings

C7wQ3KT.jpg

- similar indeed 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Contributor

Alright, I have to take my words back that 2d paint or sphere tool are as good as old carve tool.

Because I just wanted to do some carve concepts with square alpha and sphere tool is only doing spherical shapes. It is a huge limitation for design. I'll have to revert to 4.9.03 to use the old carve tool.

Also, all my customers are getting screwed when they buy or watch my tutorials and my beloved carve tool is not behaving as I've shown. I think there wasn't a point to change it in the first place and it was a let down.

• Thanks 1