3DCoat Forums

Lightwave objects cannot be loaded

Alienwar

I bought 3d Coat because in the advertisement it was said that I could use it to work on Lightwave objects. But the reality is very different. Lightwave 3d is not supported at all. Nothing is done to finally solve this problem. You can't advertise something that 3d Coat doesn't support. This is called fraud. I feel a bit screwed. The app link doesn't work with Lightwave 2020. Will there be a change in the future?

Hi 

Cant open lwo files ?

Please contact sales@3dcoat.com to ask about this issue. 

Thanks.

lwo.jpg

--------------------------

Sidenote

On 5/8/2018 at 2:32 PM, Ma3rk said:

Newtek changed the model format with 2018.  As such, there are a number of 3rd parties playing catch up.  I don't know if there's a spcific workflow to get around that In the mean time.  In Layout 2018, you can export objects out to 2015 version for example.  There are also some tools in the OD Toolset that allows surfacing of 2015 & 2018 on the same object, but suspect the object itself is strictly 2018.  Probably fine for getting UV's from 3DC to LW, but probably going to be awhile before being able to migrate textures to Newteks newer version.

--------------------------

ODtool For lightwave applink:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/157535-3DCoat-Applink-LW2018-source-code?p=1562411&viewfull=1#post1562411

• Advanced Member

Maybe he cannot import lwo 2020 what is expected because it's newly update after long pause of development. But what the problem to use obj or fbx format in Lightwave? 
Man this is stupid argue because even 3ds max do not support last sketchup but it support it ) The same for many apps

Edited by sprayer

5 hours ago, sprayer said:

Maybe he cannot import lwo 2020 what is expected because it's newly update after long pause of development. But what the problem to use obj or fbx format in Lightwave? 
Man this is stupid argue because even 3ds max do not support last sketchup but it support it ) The same for many apps

Hello sprayer. It is not about the last program being supported. But if you buy a car and it says that Iphones are supported, you also assume that this is the case. And when you buy it, you find it doesn't work. wouldn't you be upset too?

• Carlosan changed the title to Lightwave objects cannot be loaded
  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Alienwar said:

And when you buy it, you find it doesn't work. wouldn't you be upset too?

It just your car is missing one small upholstered rivet what you just notice. I think you are new in 3d? Because i am more than 15 years in this and know what this is very often not only for small development team like for 3dscoat but for big company's and many software have something not working. But i can cheer up, for most issue there is couple workaround what you can use.

A good designer is not one who knows thoroughly one program, but one who knows how to adapt to time and new programs, use different programs and solve problems on the go.

Can you explain your problem and why do you need lwo support if you have fbx? There is no bones(in 3dcoat) or other features, for other stuff fbx is good choice even for bones. 

21 hours ago, sprayer said:

It just your car is missing one small upholstered rivet what you just notice. I think you are new in 3d? Because i am more than 15 years in this and know what this is very often not only for small development team like for 3dscoat but for big company's and many software have something not working. But i can cheer up, for most issue there is couple workaround what you can use.

A good designer is not one who knows thoroughly one program, but one who knows how to adapt to time and new programs, use different programs and solve problems on the go.

Can you explain your problem and why do you need lwo support if you have fbx? There is no bones(in 3dcoat) or other features, for other stuff fbx is good choice even for bones. 

Hello Sprayer 

Well, if it is exactly this padded rivet that means that you cannot exploit the full potential. I've been using Lightwave 3d for 25 years. I do not know if you can still speak of new, in the 3d area? I just thought it would be a good alternative to Z-brush or Bodypaind 3d. If I edit something in FBX format in 3dCoat and open it in Lightwave, not all information is saved. That means twice the work if I have to edit it again in Lightwave. Time is money and we have no money.

I've mentioned it to them over the past few years with no result. It is still supported but like most programs, only the older versionof LWO. So from LightWave you have to go to File > Export and choose the 2015 version of LWO. it's annoying to have to save a separate version of the file but it works.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Alienwar said:

not all information is saved

Can you tell me what is FBX not save? FBX support mapping, vertex paint information, animation and bones but 3dcoat not support it and will not save it. In other words 3dcoat can export all what it can create in FBX, or i am not right?
Cheers

You can also purchase OD Tools 2019 for Lightwave which has a Applink to 3D Coat included. I haven't upgraded my OD Tools to 2019 version yet but I might soon just for this applink.

Video demo by user here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLa-guPIWLQ&t=492s

Purchase here https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60&product_id=57

Edited by Nicolas Jordan