3DCoat Forums

[Solved] DX vs GL

Ilas

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] DX vs GL

Interested whether Andrew has considered Vulkan now that it is a thing, since he already back then seemed to not want to support both DX and GL.

Also naturally curious how it will go with the Mac now going ARM64 based etc, but time will tell how it turns out on that one, too soon to say anything now.

• 5 months later...

I feel like the quoted thread is mostly educated guessing and anecdotal evidence from 2015, am I wrong?

(I am replying to this post because it is the top google search result)

It would be nice to hear about real world performance and results other than "I think pro cards are better for GL."

It's true that pro cards were better for GL last I checked maybe 10 years ago, but graphics card drivers have been evolving constantly.  Remember when the difference between a quadro and a geforce was the driver and maybe soldering a pin?  Nowadays games run in GL mode by default as well, so that makes me question a lot of the old wisdom.

I think it would be reasonable for the developer to provide some inside knowledge about the differences between the GL and DX versions.  

Or at least, can we make a way to benchmark the difference?  

The test could include: on screen fidelity, on screen rendering fidelity, memory usage, and speed for intensive tasks.

Edited by BenR
explaining why adding to thread