3DCoat Forums

Need for "Templates"

MG Degenhardt

Hi everyone!

I've created a lot of pieces to be used in a large project, using a 3D software, and now I'm importing one by one, painting every piece and re-exporting. I guess there's no problems in this work flow, but I'm wondering if there is a way to automate some tasks.

Let me explain: I have 4 types of doors, and each type would have 5 types of different materials, so if my math is not wrong I will do the same operations 20 times. No problems! But if I could save, let say a way to quickly apply the smart materials to the second, third and fourth types, after had applied to the first one.

I'm think in a template, in the way, I import the mesh, bake or re-bake the ao and curvature maps (if need), then I select the template and all the job is done "semi-automatically" only clicking in one button. This way all the seconds, thirds and so on material options are the same, as expected, and no need for all the adjusts again!

Ahh: I've already created all the smart-material needed for the projects.

Now you have the general idea I may ask: is there a way to do it?

I didn't touch smart materials and all that but for the moment this sounds like something doable. with a simple script. could you please write step by step what you're trying to achieve? Like command1, command2, etc: it's always difficult to understand someone else's workflow :)