3DCoat Forums

RealTime River City

NinjaTaco

• Advanced Member

This was an old project that was revived. About 85% of the geometry had to be rebuilt, UV mapped, textured, and baked in 2 days. I wish I had more time to spend on it. But I decided to live a bit dangerously and use the alpha dp for the painting process. Luckily it didn't impose too many problems and probably sped up the painting process. (Although there were a lot of camera navigation problems that hindered the painting of some textures)

http://www.cgbig.com/RWBen.html

You will need the unity web player to view it in real time. You can right click to full screen the image. Standard first person controls. w=forward s=back a=strafe left d=strafe right. camera pitch and yaw controlled by mouse. If you fall off, just reload. This is supposed to be for a boat racing game.

• Advanced Member

Since this is a "River" city, I think the water need to be improved. Also maybe you could add some details using normalmap to the buildings and ground.

(PS: Get a 3dconnexion device, camera navigation will be no problem anymore) :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi NinjaTaco

I had a lot of fun running in your map

You did a great job, and the water is :wub:

I didn't know it was possible to share levels on the web and play it in browser like you did

What was the purpose of your project ?

• Advanced Member
Hi NinjaTaco

I had a lot of fun running in your map

You did a great job, and the water is :wub:

I didn't know it was possible to share levels on the web and play it in browser like you did

What was the purpose of your project ?

It was an old project that was meant to be a game for timewarner to advertise their cable products, but somethings happend and well. I figured I might try to make a different type of game with it.

I didn't build the water or sky. (although I could if I wanted to) I just went with prebuilt stuff in the engine. Everything else though, models, textures, baked lighting I was responsible for.

You can construct projects inside of the unity engine and have it output a file that will load up in a browser as long as the client has the unity player plugin. Unity is similar to source and the UT3 engine that it can be used to construct games and simulations. Unlike source and UT3, models are very easy to drop into unity and view. You just have to use FBX format.

Here is an early test version without hardly any textures except for a theatre wall that has a color and normal map. I decided to not bother with normal maps as it would take longer.

http://www.cgbig.com/RW.html

Really interesting !

I'm building a 3D portfolio for game industry and your engine make me really excited ! Did you think possible to put models with more than 8 000 tris, with normal map, specular and diffuse, and let visitor turn around my model ?

You talked about UT3 ... is the render of Unity as good as the last one ? And is it hard to learn how to use it ?

Thanks a lot for all you're answer

• Advanced Member
Really interesting !

I'm building a 3D portfolio for game industry and your engine make me really excited ! Did you think possible to put models with more than 8 000 tris, with normal map, specular and diffuse, and let visitor turn around my model ?

You talked about UT3 ... is the render of Unity as good as the last one ? And is it hard to learn how to use it ?

Thanks a lot for all you're answer

It's not my engine.. It's a commercial engine. The indie version is $200 and the pro version $1500, the difference being with realtime lights being able to cast shadows and materials with surface reflections. It's much easier to use than UT3 and source. In terms of technical sophistication I am not sure how it compares to UT3. The nice thing about the license is that there are no royalty fees if you try to sell your game or whatever it is you make, unlike source and UT3 which have various things in the EULA where you have to surrender certain rights in order to use their engines. My trial version is about to run out and so I'm probably going to just buy the indie version as the advanced features aren't things I would really use anyways. With anything, try before you buy. They have a trial version that allows you to save. Basically you just create a project folder and drag drop your FBX files into the project folder and it loads them up into unity and view them instantly. You can use prebuilt scripts like the first person controller to walk through your levels. It does all of this stuff pretty fast.

Here are some really complicated demos built in unity that you can view through your browser. The island might take some time to load or might chug some as it streams in. As for models with lots of triangles, I know some people who built levels with millions of polygons and it still ran smooth and the graphics card was nothing special... Unity uses bones for animation and you animate in whatever package that supports FBX. You can use normal, specular, diffiuse, and it also supports parallax mapping.

The avert fate demo is pretty cool. but you'll have to download it to try it..

http://unity3d.com/gallery/live-demos/tropical-paradise

http://unity3d.com/

The unity forum where there are many people who know more about it than I who can probably answer your questions more thoroughly.

http://forum.unity3d.com/