3DCoat Forums

[Solved] FBX Import for texturing ?

Slayerazazel

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums. I've been using 3D-Coat for a while now in my workflow for topology, mesh editing, weight maps, and UV's. I haven't used it yet for texturing. I use substance painter, but want to learn how to use 3D-Coat for texturing for when doing tutorials of my workflow to allow people to paint with either SP or 3D coat. (whichever they have) or just eliminate substance painter from my workflow altogether.

I've tried searching for tutorials on how to get my model in from an FBX. As that's how I do it with substance painter, bring in the whole model and sub tools as 1 for easier painting. Is there a way to do that with 3D coat? Or do I have to import all models in as an ojb separately and paint them separately?

Can anyone recommend some videos or instructions for how to do it via FBX, or if that's not possible, is it possible to add them all separately into a single project in 3D-Coat?

I tried to edit my post but couldn't seem to find the edit option.

My issue is when trying to import an fbx it does nothing. I don't receive the settings popup it's just blank. When importing as an obj it imports fine with no issues. Just the fbx doesn't load. 

I was thinking it could be my fbx? But it imports into substance painter without any issues. 

• Advanced Member

Hi Slayer, 

I had trouble with importing an FBX.  I did this ( see pic) and it worked good for what I was doing. But I was bringing in a vertex painted object with no image maps /uvs etc. So might not be what you require...I start to get confuzed after a while thinking about all this stuff.

3dcoat.jpg

Hi stusutcliffe,

I tried what you suggested but still no luck. I downloaded a different fbx and that works fine.

So I had a look at my model and made sure all my uvs worked fine etc. But it still won't import. Sometimes comes up saying mesh is empty or something like that. The odd thing is that if I load them all as OBJs they all come in as a single item all fine. But I just can't get them to come in together as an fbx. Possible I need to tweak some settings In ZBrush for the fbx export. But to me, since I use substance painter and that imports the FBX completely fine... Then 3d coat should just work also???.. 

Edited by Slayerazazel
Spelling error

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] FBX Import for texturing ?
On 7/21/2020 at 5:08 PM, Slayerazazel said:

image.png.4e12dbad64e491e3b89336ccac26f97f.png

Just updating now and i'll try those settings in zbrush. I feel like an idiot, this is the first thing i should have tried. I used to work in IT, i would have suggested to the customer to make sure their program was updated... goes to show how you lose your touch when not working in the field for 2 years now lol.