3DCoat Forums

Feature requests for UDIM workflow

haikalle

Fill with UVtile / Udim could be an option... but one by one ?

how can we achieve an elegant design for udim or nor-udim workflow ?

What if we can assign list of udims to one layer ?

What if we need to attach material to layer and assign layer to many udims ?

and finally, long requested feature still unsolved: proper mask system mimic Photoshop.

Reference: Texturing Hero Assets on the Movie Pacific Rim

The number of textures needed to cover an asset was massive, up to 1000 UDIMs per Jaeger.

udims2.jpg

• Advanced Member

If 3d coat offer one more tool window for UDIM tile, as same as material/surface, you can set visible / Lock unLock / only necessary UV tiles at same time.

It should work with same logic as we use with material/surface.  Actually I often lock some material parts, then use Fill tool on new layer attached smart material.

Of course if there is more better UI desgin I welcom. (but if it work for UDIM tile, I hope it work as same as material group selection)

• Applink Developer

Yes I agree that we need to find a way how you can easily fill tile(s). I might try first to create tile selector (similar with materials) where you can easily hide/unhide complete tiles. Then add "Fill visible tiles" in fill tool and smart materials.

• Like 1

This could be cool, let me add some info about current workflows

Left, Right and Common. Working on hard surface models with symmetry parts, you only work on one side and once finished mirroring it. Not only textures and shaders but sharing same mask. Its a great time saver.

More actually when working with uDim is stabilized as new standard (letting behind old Ptex workflow)

andrew-hodgson-uvs.jpg?1600589419

• Advanced Member

Thanks!!  I have never imagined, actually UDIM need over 1000 for pro work. ^^;   But now I understand, yes there should be case for some massive  projects..

And maybe UDIM can offer such work-flow.

but  it may not manuall work in paint room. It  need new nodes base  UI.  . we need new input node for UDIM tile input, which we can input range.   then they will be connected with material or other nodes. or I may p;lan to offer mini-grid UI 100 * 100 etc. it may not offer for real paint. just for selection.   then we select by  lectangle etc. (with  multi selection ).  click visible/lock/inlock, it will be reflected for the paint mesh. (if PC not freeze)

• Applink Developer

Now I have been thinking more about how to control tiles in 3d-coat. Like @tokikake said ealier I will do same kind of window for selecting uvs/tiles that materials have now. That way you can hide/unhide tiles fast and easy and then use fill too without doing modifications for that tool. I think that's good first step here to take. Also you could rename your tiles better in that window if you want, but under the hood it would still be (1001,1002,etc) How this plan sounds like it?

This is not the best way to do it but I think that if I try to code "all tiles in same uv view" right now I will never finish it cause its too hard task for me to do it right now....baby steps :)

Edited by haikalle
  • Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

I carefully re-read carosan offered tutorialls, and I could understand massive UDIM case. (so ideally we may need good visual grid widgt to select or edit for each tile easy, with some additional marker like L and R etc,,, or may need mirror UV only selected tiles etc)

even though UV texture window will be improved,  at current it is not for selection, or mirror etc. 

Then I have one question about massive UDIM tiles.

if I use 10 * 10 over tiles, which number may used for U = 32 V  17 section?

I usually only know 10 * 10 tiles (U10 V10) UV square .so 1100 represent,, U=10 V =10 tiles.  I think to use over 10 unit tile, (for U or V), we need new labell way as UVtile ID.

eg blender may only suppose, user use 10 * 10 tiles. so if I set grid, it limits seems 10 for each U V axis. then we use 1001 to 1100 tile number for texture. 

(to set up each number texture link with each UV tile by auto-mate way)

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, haikalle said:

Now I have been thinking more about how to control tiles in 3d-coat. Like @tokikake said ealier I will do same kind of window for selecting uvs/tiles that materials have now. That way you can hide/unhide tiles fast and easy and then use fill too without doing modifications for that tool. I think that's good first step here to take. Also you could rename your tiles better in that window if you want, but under the hood it would still be (1001,1002,etc) How this plan sounds like it?

This is not the best way to do it but I think that if I try to code "all tiles in same uv view" right now I will never finish it cause its too hard task for me to do it right now....baby steps :)

It is just what I need thanks! Yes it is good first step. It is simply great. of course any app  will be approved more than I imagine, but about this proplem (material group user) , it have not been improved , and your mentioned way should be reasonable first step, untill you go farther . I can only say thank you.

Then about naming UVtile , if we can change tile name,, it may be need to add as custom  labell.. (I think  we need both infomation, number and user tag name in the tool)

eg if you use almost same panell, like material group,, for UVtiles,  I hope to see both in panell (UV tile number + custom Lavell name for tile)

if it made so, i suppose,, there is way to use labell for multi-selection etc.. (so 1001 1002 1003 assgin main , 1011 1012 1018 assgin, attachment etc,,)

• 1 year later...
  • Contributor
On 9/22/2020 at 6:28 AM, haikalle said:

@Carlosan @tokikake

I updated my special build. You can download on the beginning of this thread. Changes are:

- Keeps materials when importing udim objects
- "Export uv sets as tiles" in export window works correctly now

But now when using with applink you need to set EXPORT UV SETS AS TILES = OFF, cause applink is using still old behavior.

Are the groups supposed to be saved along with UDIMs? I'm using V 4.97 and the mesh becomes shattered when exported with UDIMs and groups but just UDIMs alone work fine when exported. I've tried the trial version of 3DCoat 2021 and the same thing happens. I'm not using any applink, just the export.  Also the texture baking seems to be missing the option to bake out the UDIMs, it should at least allow users to select by material.    Lastly custom material names aren't exported, neither do they show in the UV window.