3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Baking vertex colors to texture

awilko

Hi, new user here. I have a low poly model from another modelling app that contains vertex colours but no UV map. I would like to bring it into 3DCoat to use the UV mapping tools there, and once that is done bake the existing vertex colors into a texture using the new UVs. I've been searching around a bit, in the manual, on youtube and this forum, but can't find anything specifically about this. Found one thread here which seemed to ask the same question, but the video linked as an answer was unrelated. Any help would be appreciated, I am probably looking in the wrong places or using the wrong terms. thanks. :)

Hi and welcome !

Right click on your model in the sculpt room, choose Autopo, then your selection or Just use the Autopo function and work through the process. Both will take you though the process but one is a little more automatic.

3DC workflow is not quad polygons like Zbrush so the model needs a quad retopo mesh created for it, uv seams and unwrapping plus baking.

The vertex colors will be baked for the model.

Watch the videos from 14---18 to understand how these functions work, this will save you frustration.

The whole series of videos are good for a new users of 3DC. 

Hey thanks for the response, I did see something similar to your reply before, and have already watched that video, but I am not trying to retopo. There is no sculpt in the sculpt room, What I have is a low poly model from another app that was built from the ground up with good topo. I imported that into the 3D Coat's UV editor and UV mapped it there. Now I want to extract the vertex colours from the imported low poly model and bake them into the albedo texture as a starting point for painting in 3DCoat. At the moment I can't even see the vertex colours in 3D coat, because it shows the UV checkers by default. I'm not sure if this process is something 3D coat can do, because I'm not following the normal process of sculpt then retopo in 3D Coat.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Baking vertex colors to texture