3DCoat Forums

Interface discussion

polyxo

• Contributor
It looks like too much Zbrush for me:(.

That is interesting,I wasn't thinking about Zbrush when I did this.I was actually loosely going by Hexagons interface.But now I see the similarities,ha ha. Now your starting to scare me. :lol:

Maybe separate room tabs should be added to the top edge and just use these side panels for tools and options.I don't know.Too busy sculpting to give it much thought right now.I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

• Advanced Member
This is another concept for 3D-Coat interface.This is only a rough concept and many elements would need more work.

*Note about left tab panel.This panel will dock further right when closed. Similar to the closed left panel.

*Note on material editor.The material types are not displayed as the actual materials are listed.This is just a concept.

*Images are 1280x1024.If you save them and open them in your image editor in full screen you will get a better idea of how it would look.

*Images show different windows open when performing various actions.

Objectives:

-Create an interface for 3D-Coat that is both functional and beautiful.

-Arrange tools in a categorical order for easy access and functionality.

-Utilize all four edges of screen for maximum tool accessibility

Features:

-Tabbed interface.Tabs can be pulled off and rearranged to the users needs.Tabs can be minimized.

-Separate rooms for modeling and textures.

-Paint tools are arranged in lower tabbed shelf that can be minimized.

-All tabs can be minimized for maximum working screen space.

Considerations:

-Certain tools will maintain there right click functionality so no need for more rooms or separate tabs.

-Certain functions will have pop-up windows like they are presently.

-Fully customizable interface allows users to arrange individual pallets as they choose.The key here is flexibility for the user.

-Tabs could be added to upper screen if needed

-Other options such as 3d button style and gradient menus will remain.

-Icons could be redesigned and color may be added.

This is just one of many possible configurations for a 3D-Coat interface, so just use this concept as one of many possibilities.Maybe you like some of the elements or none at all.Just some food for thought.

Looks clean, reminds of After Effects or most adobe cs products. Good scheme for voxel. I think putting a dropdown for voxel, paint, uv, retopo on top left like maya and this would be a good base.

The panel on the bottom would require long mouse travel to the top adjusting stuff. I think it can be moved up as well. And usually main tools are on top.

The interface is better off copying from a 2d editing ui like photoshop and not try to apply various 3d ui too much. 3d ui is just too complicated.

If anyone can't make it BETTER, make it STANDARD. :brush:

That's really nice. I think I like your idea of tabs for the Paint, VS, etc. would be best. and I don't understand what the measure tool has to do with the eyedropper, but aside from that it's really nice.

I'm also still kind of hoping for a way to rotate the scene around the middle of the viewport and hopefully some way that mouse or pen clicks would go through any floating windows.

Edit: Oh, it's missing the Depth, Color, and Spec icons that are currently on the right side of the screen.

• Applink Developer

I saw this a couple days ago and I almost replayed even I don't understand any russian :rolleyes:

This looks very pro. Andrew, huge steps that you are taking with DP it's just amazing. I think that everybody in this forum knows that. When you are working with a code, we try to work hard with art so you could have many nice sculpted models to show when v3 comes out.

• Advanced Member
There is interesting mockup from russian forum (made by Shadow)

That's an interesting start indeed!

It generally looks less busy as the current version and has more neutral colour scheme.

Also some new ideas on editors appearance get visible - looks pretty photoshopy actually ;)

However...here a very positive aspect of Andrews current GUI would get lost!

Presently we can see at one glance what Brushes/Strips/Masks and Materials are active

while we had to change tabs when using this GUI.

I support Shadows idea of having rethought and generally more MainMenu entries.

Imo it would be well worth checking every single entry for possible cleanup.

I take the File menu as an example. I believe it could also be much shorter:

New

Recent

Open - could deal with all supported 3D filetypes - why making a difference between native and non-native 3D formats?

Merge - loads whatever 3D-content we want to deal with (referencing or editing) into a running session

Save

Save Incrementally

Save As - Should save all supported file formats. All further options could be dealt with in popup-panels. These should imo present popular options first and show all bells and whistles on a "Advanced" - Page, Session-Sticky Custom Presets made Sense

Import Textures or UV - All further options could be dealt with in popup-panels. These should imo present popular options first and show all bells and whistles on a "Advanced" - Page, Session-Sticky Custom Presets made Sense

Export Textures or UV - All further options could be dealt with in popup-panels. These should imo present popular options first and show all bells and whistles on a "Advanced" - Page, Session-Sticky Custom Presets made Sense

• Advanced Member

I like shadows interface but where would all the different sculpting tools go? would they be under a tab on the right like the brushes? or would they be in the panel below the brushes? or have voxel tools split into multiple tabs - sculpt brushes, move and pose tools, create primitives and objects tools etc?

• Advanced Member
The left strip is soooo far away from the right ones =0

Maybe Andrew will add another mouse pointer for you. You can have one for the left side and one for the right!

But really, I totally understand your preference for a radial menu. I was pondering over an interface like 3DArtist's combined with your menu.

In other words, you have no interface visible at all and when you hit a key (or the right mouse button) then the whole interface pops up. You then select your item and when you move your mouse pointer away from a palette and back into the sculpting area then the interface vanishes. Using this approach means it'll be possible to have the interface items bunched close together, close at hand.

• Advanced Member
Maybe Andrew will add another mouse pointer for you. You can have one for the left side and one for the right!

But really, I totally understand your preference for a radial menu. I was pondering over an interface like 3DArtist's combined with your menu.

In other words, you have no interface visible at all and when you hit a key (or the right mouse button) then the whole interface pops up. You then select your item and when you move your mouse pointer away from a palette and back into the sculpting area then the interface vanishes. Using this approach means it'll be possible to have the interface items bunched close together, close at hand.

it's important that the user can assign hotkeys for specialized types of radial menus in order to avoid massive clutter. My only real complaint about 3DC interface is how faaar you have to move the cursor to get from one menu to another

because ideally the pen (cursor) will always be close to the model you are sculpting

Blender doesn't have radial menus, but one of it's strong points is that you almost never have to take your eyes or your brush (cursor) off of your model

3dCoat has many many more powerful sculpting and painting options than blender which is why only shortcuts wouldn't make as much sense for 3dCoat as it does for Blender - radial menus seems more appripriate.

thank u ^^

I don't care for this idea. I like to see the tools before I go to click on them, not think to click on it, then see it. Plus I don't care for the extra keyboard press every time I want to change tools, which can happen quite often while sculpting or with retopo. RMB wouldn't work because some tools need RMB.

• Advanced Member

yeah the whole "empty viewport with no interface" and also "radial menus and no other menus" ideas seem a bit elitist to me, sure it could be an option for when you are experienced and know all the quick gestures and shortcuts but its definitely not what most people would expect who are used to other creative applications like photoshop or modo etc and would make a heavy learning curve for new users...it might be better if they persevere but that doesnt count for all the people who dont persevere

• Advanced Member

Why does CUT-N-CLONE put my result into same OBJECT by default (MERGE) ???

The default should be to make a new object, especially considering the

name of the operation as CUT-N-CLONE.

Very strange. And now so helpful for it to be merged.

and the Photoshop crowd will like it too! :)

Just those ones, who like Photoshop interface.

As far as I know, only few people who actually use Photoshop like it's interface as well, but things are clear - they have no alternative.

The Shadow's interface is very "standart". Not the best you can get, but it won't offend anybody if used.