3DCoat Forums

Interface discussion

polyxo

I was going to save this because it's not really a big deal, but since the mac bar image was posted... The icon for 3DC doesn't display transparency correctly, at least not in the Vista Quick Launch bar. On the Task Bar it seems fine.

Quicklaunch.jpg

I don't know vista, but in Windows XP you needed different Icons for different resolutions. So it seems that the small Icon don't have transparency information.

[EDIT]: I've just checked it, I was right: the small Icon (16x16 pixels) don't have transparency information.

• Advanced Member
I have to be honest, this is a unprofessional logo.

That font is too old, it was largely used in the end of the 90's, and that splat will not be easily reproducible when small.

Please Andrew, in the case you will consider to change the logo, ask to a certificate graphic studio.

I have to respectfully disagree with you- it was largely over-used in the 50s :) Eurostile was abused far before the 90s.

But as noted, this is not the thread for this discussion- and Andrew has already copyrighted the current logo.

• Advanced Member

why are you guys even discussing the logo or name? its a good logo and name, its now known in the 3d community and has a reputation to uphold. Im excited to see what can be done with the interface. I would also like to see proper icons for each brush instead of a list of words, although the list would work and do the job - it wouldnt compare well to the usability, polish and shine that the competition interfaces show(zb or mb).

... Im excited to see what can be done with the interface. I would also like to see proper icons for each brush instead of a list of words, although the list would work and do the job - it wouldnt compare well to the usability, polish and shine that the competition interfaces show(zb or mb).

I hope there will be a combination in words and icons. Icons have to be explained, words everyone understands and can just be written in a short way.

Example: What ist more understandable?

"Use the unwrap function."

or

"Use the unwrap function. It is the icon that looks like a carpet, uhm... no, more like some pictures lieing on the floor. Or wait! The icon looks like a tumbled fence..."

:pardon:

• Advanced Member
why are you guys even discussing the logo or name? its a good logo and name, its now known in the 3d community and has a reputation to uphold. Im excited to see what can be done with the interface. I would also like to see proper icons for each brush instead of a list of words, although the list would work and do the job - it wouldnt compare well to the usability, polish and shine that the competition interfaces show(zb or mb).

With all respect and sorry about off-topic - the name is the not the best part of 3d coat. And what exactly 3d community are you talking about? In the one i am in(major game studios) barely anyone knows about 3d coat and getting new people(if you care about US - the largest software market) is almost impossible partly due to the name. Sorry for the rant.

• Advanced Member
I hope there will be a combination in words and icons. Icons have to be explained, words everyone understands and can just be written in a short way.

Example: What ist more understandable?

"Use the unwrap function."

or

"Use the unwrap function. It is the icon that looks like a carpet, uhm... no, more like some pictures lieing on the floor. Or wait! The icon looks like a tumbled fence..."

:pardon:

Very good analogy! lol I totally agree creating good meaning icons to express a function can be difficult at best, but if you add some text next to that icon it makes it easier to uderstanding. Anyway guys i started a new thread for discussing the logo/name i think its important going forward and deserve its own thread.

At least I uploaded new alpha wit new interface (beginning). The problems that I encountered:

- In voxel sculpting there are many buttons (I can make switcher - text/icons, but I need good icons in this case...) - anyway someone like text, someone hate

- left settings panel is still there sometimes. It has very different height and it is even not clear how docking will help. Fortunately in most regimes, it does not exist and all can be moved on to the top panel, but not everywhere.

- Not very clear yet how to make pages with retopology and UV - a long regimes names, the buttons will be too wide (again there may be icons?)

There are textures in the "Textures" folder

checkers.tga - Checker

tabbutton.tga - active Taba

tabbutton_inactive.tga - inactive Taba

dock_header.tga - headlines

dock_header_close.tga - with headlines highlighted button Close

All could be customized with that textures.

Hey Andrew, great update. I like it so far, minus the few bugs I've found of course. ;)

As for the icon/text debate, my thought is that, why have an icon when a simple one word button can describe it? I see no problem with text AND icons, just the way you have it now. :)

Regarding the retopology and UV tab sizes... I don't think that would be an issue, if one button is bigger then the other, oh well. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem there of course.

Very nice so far, keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your progress with us. :)

• Advanced Member
With all respect and sorry about off-topic - the name is the not the best part of 3d coat. And what exactly 3d community are you talking about? In the one i am in(major game studios) barely anyone knows about 3d coat and getting new people(if you care about US - the largest software market) is almost impossible partly due to the name. Sorry for the rant.

I think its a fairly good name, not a great name, it doesnt really describe what the toolset does but it does the job as names go. The 3D community Im talking about is the online 3D community, c4dcafe.com members have been talking about 3d coat as have polycount.net members. As you say more people in the general public should get to here about the great features of 3d coat but yes the name probably isnt helping. Most people probably think of a jacket when they think of coat, not a coat of paint, so it just doesnt really suit the toolset being offered. I do think the name is known, its not well known yet but it is known and it does have a reputation with those that have heard of it. For example when zbrush 4 was announced recently a few people started to post in threads on polycount saying they wonder if it will have voxel sculpting like 3d coat and no one asked "whats 3d coat?" which to me means 3dc has become common knowledge.

• Reputable Contributor
At least I uploaded new alpha wit new interface (beginning). The problems that I encountered:

- In voxel sculpting there are many buttons (I can make switcher - text/icons, but I need good icons in this case...) - anyway someone like text, someone hate

- left settings panel is still there sometimes. It has very different height and it is even not clear how docking will help. Fortunately in most regimes, it does not exist and all can be moved on to the top panel, but not everywhere.

- Not very clear yet how to make pages with retopology and UV - a long regimes names, the buttons will be too wide (again there may be icons?)

checkers.tga - Checker

Does this mean Shadows UI isn't being adopted? I really like it, as I think most here have said they do. I realize you're open to community input, yet can't please everybody. Nevertheless, I thought you had a really good thing going with Shadow's UI design, and it seemed like there was a consensus on it.

• Advanced Member

checkers.tga - Checker

thanks for the great update, i just install it now and moving around it put a smile on my face. you are headed in the right direction. So far there some are docking bugs that need to be iron out.

- Some people like text, some like icons. Answer to the problem is have both :D . Just use Temporary icons that you can make yourself and replace them later on with professional icons.

- left side tools need to be change to exist in a panel, so you can make use of icon and text + docking. This will also allow you to expand the toolset 2-3 into the future. It also unify the GUI when switching to different modes.

- Retopology; tools need to be rearrange to fit into a panel for the same reason mention in my top sentence. Current i'm busy with freelance project, but I can make a mock-up for you this weekend!

- UV, same reason you need to unify its tool into a panel. You can split this page into 2. left = tool , right = preview(maybe as a panel, so people can move it to the left).

I would suggest you redo the Paint page first with new tool panel and tool option panel like in my mock up. This is why Shadow's mock up will not work, you need wider space for tools, you can't use the Photoshop style toolbar.

PS> the vertical slider should be change back to the old style, the new one is not good for sliding(it takes too much effort,since it so thin).

The tabs at the top of the window have imho illogical order (now when we can't move them). In my opinion, they should have order of "3DC-only" workflow, which is (should be) probably:

Voxels > Retopo > UV > Sculpt > Paint > Render

Maybe the Sculpt mode is needless at all, it can be dissolved into Voxels and (displacement) Paint.

Of course the workflow can be also non-linear, but I think this is logical order.

• Advanced Member
One important wish: When you save the scene, please

1. save the last used tool

2. save the last used viewport

Set the two points when loading the scene later in.

Thanx

Chris

Would be nice if you could save the "State" of the view options like if show symmetry if turn off, show displacement is turn ON,etc. It's abit annoying having to set them up again.

The tabs at the top of the window have imho illogical order (now when we can't move them). In my opinion, they should have order of "3DC-only" workflow, which is (should be) probably:

Voxels > Retopo > UV > Sculpt > Paint > Render

I disagree, it should start with 3DPaint. what gets arrange after that doesnt matter to me. If Andrew lay out it out like my mock-up OR allow people to re-arrange those tab it would be remedy this issue.

• Applink Developer

Well here is something I made this evening. It is Retopo view. I think that there is a very powerful tools to retopo your scuplt but using the tools are not so easy to find sometimes. I hope Andrew can work with this one. For example When I'm going into retopo mode. It would be nice if I can select, multiselect edges, vertices and faces and slide them without going to menus.

Is it maybe possible to compine "Select and operate" and "Tweak vertices" together and this would be default when you go to this mode. You would able to delete, compine edges and vertices easily. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. Another thing is about UV. Is it maybe more clear if we move all the uv tools from retopo mode to UV mode. I think it is a little bit confusing if you can make uv settings in retopo tap and UV tap. But here is a picture.

In the picture I created “Option” tap and it will show all the options which that Add tool has. I like it how it is right now that a window appears next button but this would be nice second option.

post-1165-1240605141_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
Does this mean Shadows UI isn't being adopted? I really like it, as I think most here have said they do. I realize you're open to community input, yet can't please everybody. Nevertheless, I thought you had a really good thing going with Shadow's UI design, and it seemed like there was a consensus on it.

I guess I must me talking to myself. Funny, I thought it was a pretty straightforward question....you know, of the "Yes" or "No" variety.

I am following Shadow's design but of course I am making some corrections. Choose dark theme from options menu to be closer to Shadow's design.

I guess I must me talking to myself. Funny, I thought it was a pretty straightforward question....you know, of the "Yes" or "No" variety.

3DC website was down all day...

Based on appearance, I'd say yes.

• Advanced Member
I am following Shadow's design but of course I am making some corrections. Choose dark theme from options menu to be closer to Shadow's design.

Here is my update mock-up:

1. Property panel - Used to display blending option, brush option, layer option, camera option, basically anything that's not handle by the tool option.

2. Item List - scene graph

A. Camera - clicking on this will bring up its property, you can assign image map to the camera ,good for reference image used to sculpt.

B. Light - Default light in scene.

C. Render - this contain the global render setttings.

D. Mesh Item - BugBackToad, shows all the local information(UV,shader,etc).

E. Color Pressure = Color not dependent on

3. Layer panel, added "Add Depth" and "Node" (switches to node base texturing system).

Still need to add Symmetry somewhere..need quick acess to it.

post-564-1240715823_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Here is my update mock-up:

1. Property panel - Used to display blending option, brush option, layer option, camera option, basically anything that's not handle by the tool option.

2. Item List - scene graph

A. Camera - clicking on this will bring up its property, you can assign image map to the camera ,good for reference image used to sculpt.

B. Light - Default light in scene.

C. Render - this contain the global render setttings.

D. Mesh Item - BugBackToad, shows all the local information(UV,shader,etc).

3. Layer panel, added "Add Depth" and "Node" (switches to node base texturing system).

Nice work sonk. But I think "2D paint" should be a floating panel in "Direct Paint" viewpot but not a separate page. Becasue we need to see paint in 2D then the result will be shown in 3D simultaneously.

• Advanced Member
Nice work sonk. But I think "2D paint" should be a floating panel in "Direct Paint" viewpot but not a separate page. Becasue we need to see paint in 2D then the result will be shown in 3D simultaneously.

You would still be able to bring up a floating 2D paint window like it is now in 3DC. ;) Do you think a 3D Paint that split with 2D paint would be useful? Or would that be more of the same, and also..where should i put Symmetry?...hmmm Anyway this page is pretty much next page.

• Advanced Member
BTW Here's an interface bug. The color picker is missing the buttons to change the type of picker shown, like HSL1, HSL2, IMG, etc.

It's not a bug, you may want to click the small triangle button. :rolleyes:

post-445-1240717850.jpg

• Advanced Member
BTW Here's an interface bug. The color picker is missing the buttons to change the type of picker shown, like HSL1, HSL2, IMG, etc.

2009-04-25_2336.png

Maybe Andrew intends to split those into its own panel/tab? I've been playing around with docking alot today and there something wrong with it, it assume too much. Like i want to put my color picker near the top but not dock it, but it always docks it ontop. Same thing near the bottom, i totally understand it assuming you want to dock things on the left/right. This is annoying and i have a suggestion on how docking can be done better.

When your mouse is over a tab/panel:

1. LMB + click then move == moving it around the screen no docking

2. RMB + click then move == moving it around the screen with intention of docking it.

It's not a bug, you may want to click the small triangle button. :rolleyes:

Ahh, your right, Andrew is getting smart :)

• Advanced Member

Just moved the "Mesh Sculpt" tab into the DP Tool panel you can select its tool by clicking on "Sculpt" IMO this is better having paint/sculpt in one area at least for those 2. Wonder if we need a 2D Paint tab at all, i was thinking about putting a 3D/2D toggle button in next to the navigation icons, 2D will switch the 3D viewport to a 2D viewport for texturing like Photoshop, they essentially use the same tools anyway...

A good GUI should get rid of anything that is confusing , or simplify things were possible. I also added translate tools (move, scale, rotate)

post-564-1240723706_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

OKie added 3D/2D toggle button. Should i move the Retopology, Voxel Sculpt, UV tabs into the "Tools" panel this will get rid of the tabs on top all together and gain more viewport restate. hmm..

post-564-1240725588_thumb.jpg