3DCoat Forums

Interface discussion

polyxo

The manual has instructions to make your own icons if you want. I assume it's the same with the new UI.

You can even change the icons of the tools to you own, just go to the installation folder of 3D-Coat, in the path “textures\icons” you will find the source PSD files of the icons, they are “baseicons.psd” and “SmallIcons.psd”, open the PSD file in Photoshop and draw your own icons. When finished, save them as DDS format, keep the name and replace the original “baseicons.dds” and “SmallIcons.dds”. Next time you start 3D-Coat, it will load the new icons.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm beginning to wonder how Andrew is taking all of this Interface mockup business. Frustrated with everyone telling suggesting changes in the name, logo and look of the UI? If so, I would just note how most of us look back at earlier work we've done and can see dramatic improvement over time. Creating a corporate identity isn't a trivial matter, especially when targeting industry stalwarts like ZBrush and Mudbox (Autodesk behind it).

It's looking real good, so do we have a winner already? I like the latest version, more precise and professional.

The latest from Taros (previous page, at the bottom) looks really good. Love the tabs and looks really professional.

So, Which final mokup that Andrew chose?

• Reputable Contributor
Frankly I've been curious about this thread since you guys have this thing all worked out when it looks like Andrew has alreqady decided how he wants to do it and already has. I can't speak for Andrew, so I can just say what I see.
Well, I was under the impression that he was still open to UI design ideas. If I had known Andrew already decided that he was going to use any of it, I could've saved myself the better part of a day trying to help what turns out to be a lost cause. Maybe that's why Shadow and Sonk have been silent lately.

Oh well... :pardon:

I was hoping to see some real improvement...doesn't look like that's going to happen

• Advanced Member

The new ui design that is being developed is fine. Its based on shadows design as Andrew said. So shadow is the winner afterall. Its simple and sleek like photoshop. For now its more important to fix bugs than to make ui look like modo, max, lw, etc.

If 3dc will be released this May then he has more pertinent matters to attend to.

• Advanced Member
Well, I was under the impression that he was still open to UI design ideas. If I had known Andrew already decided that he was going to use any of it, I could've saved myself the better part of a day trying to help what turns out to be a lost cause. Maybe that's why Shadow and Sonk have been silent lately.

Oh well... :pardon:

I was hoping to see some real improvement...doesn't look like that's going to happen

I've been busy with freelance job right now(May 4th is the deadline..alot of work still), but i like your slider idea! I don't have combustion , is there a video of the slider in action somewhere? I don't know why Andrew is so silent to respond but keep up the GUI mock-up!

I like your first mock-up one page back, but without the green rectangle outline..its IMO distracting. Keep it up! and yeah it takes hours to make the mock-up.

The new ui design that is being developed is fine. Its based on shadows design as Andrew said. So shadow is the winner afterall. Its simple and sleek like photoshop. For now its more important to fix bugs than to make ui look like modo, max, lw, etc.

If 3dc will be released this May then he has more pertinent matters to attend to.

Shadow won, why wasn't i told? :P why wasn't there a poll posted at cgtalk, newtek forum,etc. I think the people should decide not Andrew...only because its the people that are going to buy the application.

I demand a poll be taken. and i beat i would win :D

I've been wondering if this is just me. Whenever I make 3DC do anything even remotely difficult, like loading a large file, or merging a dense vox model for painting, the screen goes all black for the the majority of the time., well not all black, everything but the window borders and title bar. I've mentioned it in the past it's something 3DC has always done. I'm just wondering if it's something specific to my video card or something, or if it does that for other people too.

I see so much enthisiasm there! I am not posting much (prefer coding :) ), but I am reading all this very carefully and picking ideas. I prefer Shadow's style, but I taken several panels from SonK mockups (press 'C' for example). I constantly removing green from interface. My main points are:

- no wasted space

- preserve old functionality and open easy way to expand it - docks and dock's prop are very cool for this

- preserve sliders functionnality (possibility to drag or to enter value manually)

- maximally planar and sharp

- allow to everyone to customize

The difference between SonK and Shadow intrfaces are mostly in presence of different panels. I am sure you will be able to "almost" emulate SonK interface.

What about vertical tabs - possibly they can be useful for tools where we have toooo much buttons like VS. Anyway, not just now.

What about logo - it is VERY difficult to change because of it is almost registered trademark, it is soooo log and not very cheap process.

• Advanced Member
Have tested the new UI(alpha 78),I have to say,I don't like the current design,Andrew,I really hate those individual window,so please follow Sonk's design,

We need integated tool option,not a individual window.the current design is more space wasted and seems unprofessional.

Yup that is what the tool option page is for, i kinda figure we would need that in most cases. And its also a panel so you can move it or dock it somewhere else. Ideally it should be on the left, under the tools. AbnRanger, love the sliders the only down side is it seems to requires more vertical space then the current ones...hmm

• Reputable Contributor
Yup that is what the tool option page is for, i kinda figure we would need that in most cases. And its also a panel so you can move it or dock it somewhere else. Ideally it should be on the left, under the tools. AbnRanger, love the sliders the only down side is it seems to requires more vertical space then the current ones...hmm
They don't have to take up that much space...just enough to have the text and numerals in the center and a small level indicator at the bottom. They are used from Combustion to Toxic to Flame, Infernos, Smoke...etc. Houdini uses this method for sliders as well...so it's a highly professional method. The current look seem to take up way too much horizontal space and the little knobs make the whole UI look VERY clunky...like a throwback to the 1980's.

Sorry to sound so critical, but I think it's important to get it right and for the UI to look modern and clean. It's an improvement, and it has indeed come a loooooooooong way since the first versions, but the UI still has some work to do, before it can be taken seriously in such a highly competitive market. doesn't have to be flashy...although I wish Andrew would use those accents I showed (most everyone who commented on it here and at Newtek, said they liked it...pretty good consensus, I'd say)...using those and the sliders I added would help improve the look of the UI immensely, IMHO...and those who commented on it.

Here is an image of a Flame using the sliders I proposed (by the way, the cursor in the current build displays a horizontal arrow, just like Combustion does, when hovering over the sliders, so he's already part of the way there):

http://mirror-us.e-onsoftware.com/showcase..._screenshot.jpg

I noticed in the Alpha 82 install folders under the "icon directory" there is already baseicons.dds file, what happens if i overwrite the file with your baseicons.dds file Shadow ?

Or should i just skip that file, and install the others only ?

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger

So, what do you think of the accents to the tabs and buttons, as well as the "knob-less" sliders (ala Combustion, Toxic, Flame, Smoke, Houdini), Shadow?

I like how it is implemented in Photoshop, but the "knob-less" sliders (ala Combustion, Houdini), I also like :)

Silentman, make a backup folder "textures"... copy and overwrite all files ;)

• Advanced Member

WOW! I really like the improvements to the UI in Alpha 83. The new outlined tab buttons, highlighting, new icons and general look and feel of things seems really polished. 83 is the best build yet!

Also, thanks for adding that window maximize improvement - it works just how I wanted it to :drinks:

• Reputable Contributor
WOW! I really like the improvements to the UI in Alpha 83. The new outlined tab buttons, highlighting, new icons and general look and feel of things seems really polished. 83 is the best build yet!

Also, thanks for adding that window maximize improvement - it works just how I wanted it to :drinks:

Agreed. It's come a long way since v2. I think it's good enough to sign off on for the initial v3 release. Just squash some bugs, update the manual and call it a wrap, me thinks.

• Advanced Member

Good job -Shadow- ! New icons looks more cleanly now, only the "Depth" icon looks a little confused.

So the next step is icons for "Sculpt", "Retop", "UV" and "Voxels" tools? :)

Really create icons for every voxels tools must be very difficult...

• Advanced Member
Good job -Shadow- ! New icons looks more cleanly now, only the "Depth" icon looks a little confused.

:thank_you: I made the "Depth" icon similar in color to normal map... perhaps this is not the best solution, but so far I have not invented a better :pardon:

So the next step is icons for "Sculpt", "Retop", "UV" and "Voxels" tools? smile.gif

Really create icons for every voxels tools must be very difficult...

possible, but so far I have no free time to do so :)

if anyone have any suggestions how should look like icons for "Sculpt", "Retop", "UV" and "Voxels" tools, post it in this topic :yes::paint2: