3DCoat Forums

Thinking of switching to 3D coat to Zbrush: ADVICE

TonyG

Hi, All,

I have had Zbrush for over a year and have competed quite a few sculpts. It’s a great and powerful program and I enjoy it. However, 3D coat has been on my eye for a while now and I am about to buy. I was wondering which software do you prefer overall? I want to know the benefits of 3Dcoat. I want to sculpt both hard surface and organic 3D character meshes. I do not like the interface and functionality of Zbrush overall and I’m ready for a change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Advanced Member

Hello Tony, while Zbrush is super efficient in its design, I agree the interface and user experience can be a bit off putting if you are used to using other software. 3D Coat does remedy this annoyance to some degree, with a much better navigation and control scheme, however the truth still needs to be said. Zbrush has no real solid competition at this point. I cannot recommend 3D Coat as a replacement for Zbrush for sculpting meshes (hard/organic). If you want the best results stick with Zbrush.  3D Coat is better used for other tasks at the moment, such as retopology or hand painted textures.

It is also worth noting that once 3D Coat hits version 5, they will probably start charging again for that version. Buying now might not be the best timing.

Finally, this is just my personal recommendation. You should still download the demo and see if you can get the same or satisfactory results as you do in Zbrush, at least that way you know whether or not its worth it for you to switch. You also have one other option on the table, which is the new Blender. The sculpting features in that application are going through an explosive development phase which puts it in the same camp as 3D Coat as a second tier sculpting option. Feel free to try that too (its free).

Relevant links based on whats been discussed:
https://www.artstation.com/pablodp606/blog
https://3dcoat.com/download/

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 8/3/2020 at 1:43 PM, TonyG said:

Hi, All,

I have had Zbrush for over a year and have competed quite a few sculpts. It’s a great and powerful program and I enjoy it. However, 3D coat has been on my eye for a while now and I am about to buy. I was wondering which software do you prefer overall? I want to know the benefits of 3Dcoat. I want to sculpt both hard surface and organic 3D character meshes. I do not like the interface and functionality of Zbrush overall and I’m ready for a change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you give us a better idea of where you're going with your own work by posting some samples of it, so we can see if 3D Coat would fulfill your needs. I really like 3D Coat's workflow and while every program has its vexations I've found Zbrush to be substantially more annoying to work in than 3D Coat.  Zbrush is older and has a bigger user base so that there's a tendency to look at the work that's been done in it as proof of its superiority.

@TonyG  - IMO, have both, use both. ->  Tool Arsenals.
Get the tools you want and learn them well... then you can use  all of them for optimal workflows. 
• ZBrush doesn't "require"  a technical understanding of 3D per se, but having moderate or better 3d-tech-knowledge DRASTICALLY helps when using zBrush. This makes the UI much more of a battle to most new'ish users.
• 3DCoat doesn't require as much knowledge unless you need to deep dive into options of certain things... but of course the tech knowledge will help you.
--
I just searched to find a video to share with you to help provide the very-deep-dive into 3d tech, in an quick flow... but I had trouble finding anything.
• I have made a note for myself to create a very-deep-dive 3d technical series of videos where specifics of tools are explained along with variations in multi-industry handling.. I'll put them on Youtube when I finish them.  6 months or so..

Edited by erb
wanted to include extra info to help

• 4 weeks later...

Thank You, Everyone. Let me just say this...I LOVE 3DCoat! I am So glad I made this purchase. I've only done one hard surface concept design, but the process was painless and fun to learn. The PBR Material set for starters are impressive, and I love the Boolean feature. I can't believe how powerful this program is. I bought it at the right time as well, because I love the newly added features. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, this program is definitely my new favorite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1