3DCoat Forums

3d Space Navigator (3d connexion)

ChainsawBunny

Can anyone help me set up my 3d Navigator (3d connexion)?

I have just bought one :drinks:

The problem I have is that the axis is not set. For example google earth you can move the planet around a set axis.

But with 3d-coat the whole scene moves and I keep getting stuff lost.

Is there a way in 3d-coat to move the model around a set axis with the 3d Space Navigator?

Thank you in advance.

:good:

That is odd, I have two - one at home and the other at the office. I didn't have to setup anything and it works perfectly. My only complaint is that when I am in really close to a model, it can move very quickly off screen - which is annoying.

Since I didn't have to set mine up, I am not much help I'm afraid -- if there is anything I can help with or if you know how to determine the setup I am using, I'd be happy to help you out.

I love the devide and can't imagine not having it to manipulate the models.

Can anyone help me set up my 3d Navigator (3d connexion)?

I have just bought one :drinks:

The problem I have is that the axis is not set. For example google earth you can move the planet around a set axis.

But with 3d-coat the whole scene moves and I keep getting stuff lost.

Is there a way in 3d-coat to move the model around a set axis with the 3d Space Navigator?

Thank you in advance.

:good:

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked one up exclusively for 3DC.

I really like it, but, I'm having some navigation issues with it. Anyone got some pointers? I'd also like to know how I can control brush rotation with it. Thanks! :)

• Reputable Contributor
I just picked one up exclusively for 3DC.

I really like it, but, I'm having some navigation issues with it. Anyone got some pointers? I'd also like to know how I can control brush rotation with it. Thanks! :)

I finally bought one, a Space Pilot on Ebay...waiting for it to get here. Agreed...anyone who has some pointers or gotcha's with them and 3DC, it would be much appreciated.

FWIW, the forums seem quiet enough lately that you could hear a ghost fart. :pardon:

I finally bought one, a Space Pilot on Ebay...waiting for it to get here. Agreed...anyone who has some pointers or gotcha's with them and 3DC, it would be much appreciated.

FWIW, the forums seem quiet enough lately that you could hear a ghost fart. :pardon:

Haha. I think it's because Andrew was on vacation and hasn't come on since then.

Hey you wont regret your purchase. I am loving it so far. Well worth the money spent.

So I learned something new with the setup for the mouse. For 3DC, I reversed all of controls and then changed the zooming function from push down/pull up to pan forward/back, likewise for pan up/down I changed that to push down/pull up. Works really well.

But, I am having some problems with changing the way it all works with the custom controls for 3DC. I am speaking of brush rotation, size, opacity, etc., being controls with the Space Navigator. I tried using both buttons in the settings, but nothing worked. How do you set it up? Anyone? Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor
Haha. I think it's because Andrew was on vacation and hasn't come on since then.

Hey you wont regret your purchase. I am loving it so far. Well worth the money spent.

So I learned something new with the setup for the mouse. For 3DC, I reversed all of controls and then changed the zooming function from push down/pull up to pan forward/back, likewise for pan up/down I changed that to push down/pull up. Works really well.

But, I am having some problems with changing the way it all works with the custom controls for 3DC. I am speaking of brush rotation, size, opacity, etc., being controls with the Space Navigator. I tried using both buttons in the settings, but nothing worked. How do you set it up? Anyone? Thanks.

You might consider getting a Space Pilot (for customization reasons) for your desktop and using the Navigator elsewhere. I found a heck of a deal on them (retails for $399) for $124. The Ebay store I bought from takes items that were previously leased and sells them for roughly 1/4 of the retail price. Arrived today...like new, and works great. You were right...It is like going from a car with just an AM radio, no cruise control or air Conditioning to a Lexus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3DConnexion-USB-SpaceP...93%3A1|294%3A50

Space Pilot video:

http://www.flixfacts.co.uk/view/video-fl.p...5&t=fl&

http://www.3dconnexion.com/video/video.php...lot〈=en

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks Andrew, for supporting these devices. It makes the whole experience so much nicer. You really should try to promote the fact that you're the only program in this group that does so, in your marketing when 3DC v3 is finally released! It's such a useful feature. :good:

The only problem I'm having with it is that the model continues to float after I've stopped moving the navigation knob/handle. Any ideas how to make it stop doing that?

I have to really fiddle with it to make it stop each time, and even then you can tell it's still moving slightly.

• Advanced Member
Thanks Andrew, for supporting these devices. It makes the whole experience so much nicer. You really should try to promote the fact that you're the only program in this group that does so, in your marketing when 3DC v3 is finally released! It's such a useful feature. :good:

The only problem I'm having with it is that the model continues to float after I've stopped moving the navigation knob/handle. Any ideas how to make it stop doing that?

I have to really fiddle with it to make it stop each time, and even then you can tell it's still moving slightly.

I also have a Pilot but I don't see any drifting or floating in 3DC.

Have you tried the demos to see if there's the same "floating" in them?

And you probably know this, but in the 3DC Options window, there are several 3DC mouse options. I currently have all set to 1.00. I notice Andrew put a note in there in the latest alphas that says "Don't use vary mode". Not sure if that means there's future changes in that area or what. [edit] shows how slow I am -- I didn't see it's a dropdown menu.

Yes, a very useful device. Many times when I'm in Lightwave I have a habit of reaching for my space navigator before I realize Newtek hasn't implemented it (for what reason I have no clue.)

• Reputable Contributor

I re-installed 3dc alpha 83, and it works correctly now. I tell you what, Andrew...once 3DC v3 goes gold, you really ought to try and set up booths at SIGGRAPH and GDC...letting folks who come by try using it with a Space Pilot. I'd even talk to the folks at 3dconnexion to see if they can give you a good wholesale price, and start bundling 3DC and the device together. To sell at the booths and here online.

Folks don't know what they are missing till they try it for themselves. It would appeal to Zbrush and Mudbox users too.

3DC, a Space Explorer (mid-priced model) and a training DVD for roughly $400 would be a steal (still hundreds of $$$ less than ZBrush, Mudbox and BodyPaint 3D) ! :good:

• 1 month later...
That is odd, I have two - one at home and the other at the office. I didn't have to setup anything and it works perfectly. My only complaint is that when I am in really close to a model, it can move very quickly off screen - which is annoying.

Since I didn't have to set mine up, I am not much help I'm afraid -- if there is anything I can help with or if you know how to determine the setup I am using, I'd be happy to help you out.

I love the devide and can't imagine not having it to manipulate the models.

most of the times that ultra fast zoom issue would happen because the size of the object. if its too small (because units missunderstanding)

for example maybe your are working in centimeters wile the other prog is set up in inches or meters.so you may see it in a good size but the truth is that its too small for the host program units setup and its just fitting .

or maybe yes your model is just too small .

you can try to change the parameters in the options menu for the 3dconexxion device=speed ,etc