3DCoat Forums

Purchasing and 3DCoat 2021

mhiatt

I have been interested in the product for some time now but as yet not made a purchase.

Lately, I have been seeing numerous feature posts/showcases on youtube and twitter about 3D Coat 2020.

Given that currently upgrade fees seem to apply between major versions (e.g. from 3.x to 4.x) and 4.x seems to have had quite a long lifespan (multiple years?), I'd like to know what is planned for this '2020' version in regards to payment of upgrade fees and how often it is planned for a major (upgrade fee payable) release?

In a hypothetical situation if I purchased a license today (4.x):

• Would an upgrade fee apply to move up to the next release (2020?)?
  • How soon would the next payable upgrade be released (e.g. 1 year, 2021)?
  • Would this be more like moving towards a 1 year of included updates scenario?
  • Are the licenses to remain perpetual?
  • Are the license fee amounts to remain the same?
  • Anything that I should be aware of, that may catch me out?

If I could get an official answer on this that would be great as it will be used in guiding my purchasing decision.

Many thanks and Kind Regards,

Michael

• Carlosan changed the title to Purchasing and 3DCoat 2020
  • Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, mhiatt said:

I have been interested in the product for some time now but as yet not made a purchase.

Lately, I have been seeing numerous feature posts/showcases on youtube and twitter about 3D Coat 2020.

Given that currently upgrade fees seem to apply between major versions (e.g. from 3.x to 4.x) and 4.x seems to have had quite a long lifespan (multiple years?), I'd like to know what is planned for this '2020' version in regards to payment of upgrade fees and how often it is planned for a major (upgrade fee payable) release?

In a hypothetical situation if I purchased a license today (4.x):

• Would an upgrade fee apply to move up to the next release (2020?)?
  • How soon would the next payable upgrade be released (e.g. 1 year, 2021)?
  • Would this be more like moving towards a 1 year of included updates scenario?
  • Are the licenses to remain perpetual?
  • Are the license fee amounts to remain the same?
  • Anything that I should be aware of, that may catch me out?

If I could get an official answer on this that would be great as it will be used in guiding my purchasing decision.

Many thanks and Kind Regards,

Michael

Pilgway is always extremely fair about things like this. They usually will offer free upgrades within at least 90 days of a major release. The only reason they haven't yet announced a "Buy Now and Get the 2020 version Free" is there are some HUGE additions, and they have a tentative target date early this fall, but in software, things are always subject to change...plus this whole Corona-Virus mess makes things even more fluid.

As far as I know, there probably will be a change to a yearly release cycle, but the upgrade cost would/will be substantially lower than it's current rate. The main reason for this is because they have added a LOT of development help over the past 2 years, and they may be looking to add some more, but they obviously need the resources to keep and possibly expand their development staff.

They will definitely offer perpetual licenses, no matter what, but there may be a subscription option added as well. I think they are going to do away with the Amateur/EDU license and offer something else. We will have to wait and see. In the mean time, it would be a good idea, as Carlos mentioned, to send an email to Sales@3DCoat.com and copy/paste your questionnaire in it, so the Sales/Licensing staff knows this is a legitimate concern of prospective customers.

• Carlosan changed the title to Purchasing and 3DCoat 2021