3DCoat Forums

What's the best way to retopo this?

Kim Jong OOF

105385344_Screenshot(693).thumb.png.bd9759a0e77c1d465d1d9bd45d65cce8.png757217469_Screenshot(689).thumb.png.a75c7ff021d2a9c7ae9349374c366455.png1576737305_Screenshot(689).thumb.png.7255bd7e9b8de3686502ec977f7237c4.png

This looks very easy to do, but I have done everything I can and still haven't found a solution to this. I want to make the retopology as precise as possible. Here's a spec sheet of the model followed by what I've tried to retopo it and why it didn't work

Spec sheet:

-hard surface

-multiple same objects duplicated and then axialed

-all these objects on merged onto the same layer

-each object has been rotated on every axis

-the objects are very small and far apart from one and another

Things I've tried to retopo this thing:

-instantmesh

*reason it doesn't work: the topology given gives off tris even in a model like this and adding guides to every single piece is tedious and would take weeks. Plus, navigation is very difficult because of the size and how spread out the objects are

-autotopo

*reason it doesn't work: the retopo mesh has a ton of errors (bumps, deformed faces, and unnecessary curves) even when the poly count is set to 30 000. I cannot delete loops with either techniques because the final topology has that many unique errors and I would have to fix them one by one.

-manual points/faces

*reason it doesn't work:

faces end up deformed and not placed correctly, precision is non existent, not possible to simply align the camera to a perfect position because each individual object has been rotated on every axis, fixing the faces is pretty much impossible, and radial symmetry doesn't work (I have to retopo one by one)

1031996423_Screenshot(686).thumb.png.940ba4b09fd96d17f26634fd35009ba7.png

Edited by Kim Jong OOF

• Reputable Contributor

I do not know how you created your radial symmetry for your object.

I used the model's palette for a object I had sculpted and saved to the model's palette.

Turned on radial symmetry setting the number of objects I wanted to create and imported the model from the palette. 

increased the distance between the models and rotated to how I wanted them before applying (confirming) the import.

Manual retopoed  one of the objects and the others were retopoed at the same time because radial symmetry was on.

I have no problem in manual retopoing getting the points where I need to place them, or in other words snapping to the location I need.

I  turned off auto snap before subdividing the object as I just wanted more polygons and no re-snapping.

Since I so not know for sure what you are creating, I hope at least some of the above information is helpful and useful, if not here then in a later project.

retopo.jpg