3DCoat Forums

proper vector displacement steps ? painting on the obj is only "height" based

• Advanced Member

That was what i have exported as seen in the second pic. I have no idea how to create the organic shape.

Currently the process i had taken was : 

1) paint room - import model for microvertex painting.

2) paint depth on it.

3) paint room >> texture>> export >> vector displacement map

However, i didnt manage to see any other ways to create the shape as seen in the first pic. Based on my limited understanding, painting on the obj is only "height" based.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] proper vector displacement steps ? painting on the obj is only "height" based
  • 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

@Carosan 

just to confirm,

A.   I have mesh with high-resolution, like 4x sub-d which already morphed and include all delta of detail. as obj A

B. I have base resolution model, which only include base morphed delta for base resolution as obj B

then 3d coat offer magic button which can bake and export "vector displacement map" from obj A to obj B?

about this case, I do not sculpt anything. just hope to bake it (usually it need to work in retopo room I think)

If you know clear step, I really hope to know how it can be.. (eg it only need paint room, I hope to know clear step,,thanks,,)

And of course when I apply the displacement for the obj B , I need to change resolution level.. (so I may suppose it may better, I sub-d obj B and export it first.. as B' then bake and generate map (source = objA  target = objB' /not base level mesh)

anyway hope to know,, 3d coat already offer it or not,, because I have only 3d coat for sculpting or baking, (blender not offer function which can bake vector displacement. only offer vector displacement shader node, we can see it, with generated map.

Edited by tokikake
add more detail what I need to know
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I think the reason why 3d coat can not offer sculpt mesh in sculpt room >> turn as VDM , 3d coat can not keep vertex order, when mesh import to sculpt room by triangulate process.

To generate Vector displacement map, actually it only need to check delta of each verts in object(locall) space or tangent space from soruce mesh. then usually to get delta value, we need to keep each vertex order. and get delta compare with 2 mesh. (high-reso mesh and high-reso suclpted mesh)

So it is not usual Ray cast baking, but need to keep vertex order to get delta of each verts from non sculpted mesh, and convert it as RGB , generate VDM. If 3d coat offer way, with surface sculpting mode, mesh keep vertex order (with apply sub-D option)  then return mesh in retopo room , it can get delta of each verts as high resolution mesh.  >> then it can generate VDM from the delta.

I suppose most of 3d sculpt aprications usually offer way sculpt mesh (with sub-D) , but keep vertex order, as high-resolution mesh). 

I understand 3d coat voxel work-flow is unique, and can easy swap mode as surface  and voxel,  then it offer proxy silder etc,  but offer option mesh can keep vertex order when triangulate mesh in sculpt room,( as high-resomesh) may offer VDM generator in 3d coat (with sculpt surface mode)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Contributor

Importing a VDM in micro displacement project does not seem to work properly as if it doesn't accept data from a particular color channel(s)

I'm also reporting this to Andrew but he's got a large workload ahead of him.  I was looking on the forum trying to see what i might be doing wrong.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@tokikake Hi, is this issue solved ?

If yes: can you share your workflow please ?

Thanks !

As true meaning, I think No... I tried to generate real vector dsiplacement, from sculpted mesh, but I do not think it is vector displacement.

Maybe 3d coat simply convert and bake as height displacement map I suppose.  then generate it as paint mesh (with layer)

I found, when I save displacement map (from paint room), 3d coat already offer options to save dsiplacement as RGB (convert )

but it not means, we actually bake vector displacement from sculpted mesh ^^;  

Or I may hope to ask you,, do you think, when we bake dsiplacement from sculpted mesh,  3d coat actually bake all (x, y, z) displacement infomation as RGB?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

If I use blender,, I found this, (it not about 3d coat, but no one may complain about it I hope) then it worked for me. (recent days I tried it and confirm,,)

then I hope if 3d coat dev team try it with use 3d coat, and will offer more simple auto process >> directly bake vector displacement from sculpt mesh.. and

generate from retopo room...

maybe 3d coat develop team   easy understand what is going on if they check the you tube, I suppose..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgrz7_Xl5Eo

https://blenderartists.org/t/is-there-any-add-on-to-bake-tangent-vector-displacement-for-non-detail-mesh/1391969

(ideally we need Tangent Vector displacement, not object or local vector displacement, because we may pose figure...with displacement map, when render)

the way is, it bake deformed  infomation as emission map.. then with use specail node set up,   convert it as UV tangent displacement map..(it is option)

• Advanced Member

so now I read this again and again, but I do not know actually how I can sculpt in sculpt room and generate Vector displacement map..

https://3dcoat.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=general:paint_workspace:microvertex

Do I miss something?  if some one know tutorial, teach me please. As I said, I means, not texture sculpt, but sculpt (deform for 3 axis) in sculpt room,  then bake it as Vector displacement map.  (so my question is same as OP question.. at current I notice "texture displacement" in paint room,

can convert as RGB vector displacement, but do not know way to convert sculpted mesh deform as vector displace ment.

(I may apologize, I seldom try micro vertex painting in 3d coat, so do not know If I can sculpt it in sculpt room or not... and do not know we can sculpt (free deform)

in paint room, for micro vertex model...  (I do not think so, I never see such option in paint room,, which can deform vertex as 3 axis free)

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
  • Contributor

@CarlosanThis issue with Vector Displacement doesn't appear to be fixed. I'm using the latest version at the time 2023.40 and am not able to bake a true vector displacement map when trying to capture between two meshes. Appears to only create height, so any undercuts are clipped. Not sure if it needs a new ticket or if one already exists and still active.

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to proper vector displacement steps ? painting on the obj is only "height" based