3DCoat Forums

Help with Environment Maps for Mac users (version 4.9.42A)

Melik

• Advanced Member

Hi,

This topic has been covered a few times in the past but with the newest version of 3DC, seems to be using exclusively DDS files for the panoramas in the viewport.  I'm having a hard time adding my own custom environment maps to the 3D Coat "panorama" options.  I'm on a Mac and I'm running version 4.9.42A.

When I dropped my own .HDRs or .EXRs into the folder (or in a custom folder somewhere else) and then tried to "add new panorama", 3D Coat crashed every time.

I searched on my system and found the panorama files lived here:

281284105_3dcoatpanoramapath_arrow.thumb.jpg.6986e5bd942b98adba93bf74d70bd1b7.jpg

I saw that now, there are no HDRs or EXRs, only DDS files (with accompanying "DIFFUSE.dds" and "thumb.tga" files for each panorama).

So, I took the custom EXR/HDRs I wanted to add to the environment palette and used online convertors to output them as compatible DDS files.

I dropped my newly converted DDS files into the "panoramas_ggx2" directory (also experimented having them live in a custom folder somewhere else) and then tried to add my custom DDS environments by accessing the drop down panorama palette icon, going to the three dots at the top right of the drop down, and clicking "add new panorama".

911441735_3dcoatpanoramadropdown_arrow.thumb.jpg.453833a4480c3bf30d07c33ee161284b.jpg

The DDS files I added (by converting from HDR & EXR) were greyed out and not clickable as options.

Any 3DC mac users out there that have successfully added their own environments to the newest version of 3DC?  Any ideas on what I can do to make the DDS files work and add my own environments?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

• 1 year later...