3DCoat Forums

Updating to a new version

Barrel

In my opinion, the fact that those who purchased the license right before the release of the new version will receive the update for free is unfair to those who have been using the program for a long time and have gone through all the old and not very bugs and errors. Thus, it turns out that all bugs, errors and so on were tested on the "old" users of the program, and the new ones will come to "everything ready" for free (in the sense - without paying for the upgrade to the new version).

Thus, those who have been using the program for a long time and have gone through all the crashes, errors, corrupted projects, and so on, have to pay again.

This is strange and unfair. Do something about it.

Just those who have been for a long time (say, a year or more), and should receive updates for free. Because, as I already mentioned, there are too many errors in the program, which were tested on users, as on beta testers who do not need to pay.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

OK, this my opinion and I been a user since 2007.

The practice of giving a free upgrade to those who bought  an application recently before a new release is common in the industry.  I seen it many times.

If you purchased 3DC August 1st or later you get  a free upgrade. Would it also not be unfair to the user who just got the software in the last few months to again charge them for an upgrade.  They would think so.

Concerning being a beta tester. 3DC has a open beta policy. No one is required to join but we get to test all the new features and use them in production if so desired.

Yes with some bugs or things that worked now do not when a new beta is released. They do get fixed though. 

Screen grab of the disclaimer about the betas in the beta form, first page.

Remember this is my personal opinion and not an attack on any user who disagrees with it.

beta.jpg

• Like 1

. Would it also not be unfair to the user who just got the software in the last few months to again charge them for an upgrade.

I can agree with this. This is true, on the one hand.

Concerning being a beta tester. 3DC has a open beta policy. 

The fact is that the so-called "stable versions" regularly crashed for one reason or another, something didn't work, and so on, so the program is stable in only one aspect.

In this case, the user buys a product that de facto ALWAYS has problems (I don’t remember a single stable version in which there would be no problems). That is, to call a "stable" release that has problems is, at best, misleading.

Thus, although no one really "forces" anyone to use anything, it is thanks to the users who have written and described a bunch of bugs that 3D koat is getting better. Again, the so-called "stable" versions are bugged no less than "beta" versions. Taking into account the fact that versions with glitches and errors were also uploaded to this branch, and these same versions were declared "stable", the user does not receive a full, working version of the program.

Therefore, due to the fact that ordinary users, including their error reports (and working in a program that, I repeat, was never 100% stable), made this program better, I believe that an update for such users should be free.

And as for the fact that it says "beta testing is voluntary", because the program, even in the stable version, often crashes for one reason or another. Thus, by paying money, you are not getting a 100% working product. And then there's also pay for the update.

This is strange and not logical.

In one version, something will work, but the other breaks, while in the version that was released six months later, something broken will be repaired and the working one will be broken. This is really the way things really are.

Thus, you are buying a supposedly working product that in fact has a lot of problems. Yes, there is an opportunity to return the money, but in this case, due to the fact that from version to version the stability of the program is either better or worse, it turns into something incomprehensible and inconvenient.

Sorry if my English distorts the meaning and seems rough somewhere, correct me or clarify what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

On 8/26/2020 at 5:45 PM, Barrel said:

Thus, those who have been using the program for a long time and have gone through all the crashes, errors, corrupted projects, and so on, have to pay again. 

On 8/26/2020 at 5:45 PM, Barrel said:

Just those who have been for a long time (say, a year or more), and should receive updates for free. Because, as I already mentioned, there are too many errors in the program, which were tested on users, as on beta testers who do not need to pay.

I no more pay attention to software promises, betas or work in progress, and only use when it's stable and prooven and that cover my needs.

For example i no more wait Blender to get this or improve that and just use Zbrush for some things because the feature is production ready without issues.

Using betas is like doing the same work as software tester job, while you don't get paid or any advantage, and this can be very frustrating to go through crashes and unexpected bugs.

I agree people using betas should get a huge discount based on their amount of bugs and issues reports.

Like early access games, players get the final game for lot lower price as they helped founding the game and do all the beta testing work for the game reporting issues and ideas to improve it.

Edited by Ratchet

Using betas is like doing the same work as software tester job, while you don't get paid or any advantage, and this can be very frustrating to go through crashes and unexpected bugs.

I agree people using betas should get a huge discount based on their amount of bugs and issues reports.

Like early access games, players get the final game for lot lower price as they helped founding the game and do all the beta testing work for the game reporting issues and ideas to improve it. 

-This is not an early access game

-So called "stable" versions sometimes have more glitches and crashes than beta.

-Thus, the program is not really stable in any of the versions and has always been and will be "beta", because constantly some things stop working

-In contrast to this program, games are often more stable

-In this case, why pay more if you yourself say that you have to use third-party programs to get around 3Dcoat failures?