3DCoat Forums

New pricing paranoia

bvknotty

Will I at least be able to use my current version as it is? If I'm required to pay 400-ish dollars for the new individual license I'm afraid I'll have to learn Blender (gulp!).

I am concerned because my copy of Photoshop (Cs3) needed to be re-installed recently due to a hard-drive failure and it can no longer be activated because

Adobe now wants people to subscribe, much like you seem to be thinking of doing. As a result I now must learn to use GIMP.

I am currently fighting stage 4 cancer and money is tight,  and frankly your sale prices for the professional version are often beyond my reach even when I was healthy let alone now.

Please set my mind at ease that you are not taking one of my favorite 3D tools away.

• Reputable Contributor

FYI..... Andrew has always been really really fair on upgrade prices.  This is from using the application for 13 years. 

One thing too, Andrew and the development team have not sold the program to another big company, not named here. Thank god!

Noone will take away the current licenses from people - the 3DCoat V4 licenses will remain perpetual, i.e. still valid and usable after the launch of 3DCoat 2021. So, no need to panic in that regard)

Sincerely,

Oleg
3DCoat Team
https://3dcoat.com/

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Agree I find the information confusing. I too would like to know what the upgrade cost would be as this information for current V4 pro users is lacking.

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Noone will take away the current licenses from people - the 3DCoat V4 licenses will remain perpetual, i.e. still valid and usable after the launch of 3DCoat 2021. So, no need to panic in that regard)

Sincerely,

Oleg
3DCoat Team
https://3dcoat.com/

That's good to hear. I also found the new pricing information to be something of a shock. Simply put, cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars for non-commercial use. {I don't have that kind of income}

It's been two times that I purchased 3DCoat, the $99 editions. Thought I didn't have too but could not find my old purchasing emails so didn't bother trying - 'cause it seemed to me {somewhere in the back recesses of memory, possibly foggy} that upgrades were always going to be free from like. {i.e. A to A, Pro to Pro}. So in essence, the amateur license is being done away with, leaving the Pro but then that's just for individuals {not companies} ... and the cost of the Pro is going up unless we upgrade before the release of the new 3D Coat. That's my understanding atm.

• Reputable Contributor

The Individual license is designed for personal use, such as with solo artists working on their own project, hobbysts and freelancers.

The above can appear confusing. The use of words "for personal use "sometimes means, you can not use the software for a commercial project.  Freelancers implies commercial use.

I am pretty sure this is not what those words convey " for personal use" in the announcement about personal use.

I would suggest adding "commercial use allowed " to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

We will lift all the technical and commercial use restrictions (such as with the Amateur license now), as well as remove the platform dependency.

This does make it more clear about the two license types, though a quick reading one could overlook it, so the above I believe is still a good idea.

5 hours ago, digman said:

The Individual license is designed for personal use, such as with solo artists working on their own project, hobbysts and freelancers.

The above can appear confusing. The use of words "for personal use "sometimes means, you can not use the software for a commercial project.  Freelancers implies commercial use.

I am pretty sure this is not what those words convey " for personal use" in the announcement about personal use.

I would suggest adding "commercial use allowed " to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

We will lift all the technical and commercial use restrictions (such as with the Amateur license now), as well as remove the platform dependency.

This does make it more clear about the two license types, though a quick reading one could overlook it, so the above I believe is still a good idea.

Of course, Individual license allows commercial use. Added "commercial use allowed " here https://3dcoat.com/2021announcement/

I have a pro license, and from what I understand if I'll upgrade, this will be an Individual license, right?

On the other hand, kinda bad news for Hobbyists, as from  now on this target group will have to pay as a freelancer to have the 2021 version, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

(Individual license practically merges amateur and pro licenses in one license for commercial use with a cost a bit higher of current pro license).

P.S: My opinion is that sales team should announce:  <No more amateur licenses. Pro license is "renamed" Individual, with no platform restrictions> and that's it. No confusing things as:

Just saying...

Edited by geoath

I would like to know if I upgrade my V3 Pro licence to V4 today,  for $99+VAT,  do I get the offer of a free upgrade to V2021 or not? 

It was stated that post V2021, the upgrade price will rise.  How much will it rise, and will I have top pay again if I upgrade now? 

On a side note: I think the licencing is fairly clear, but it does not address the fact that "freelancers" might have a company, but are still individual operators. The easiest way might be to define a Pro licence as for commercial work in a company that has more than x employees or more than $$$ income per year in the way that others do. Earn more than the threshold and you pay for Pro.

re pricing strategy,

for what it's worth, I had a zbrush  vs  3dcoat decision (as new-to-the-field amateur at the time) a few years back.  Zbrush had features I wanted (hair in particular), and more 'creative vibe' online, more acolytes online, but I went 3d coat because it had an Amateur licence, fairly cheap, that allowed me to get the basics, and that subsequently led to the pro upgrade as my work became more ambitious (which upgrade was I think, half the price of zbrush).

Lots of variable impact pricing decisions, but at that time, for me, that low price amateur licence was an important factor.

The software has done a good job for me so far, with nice ongoing improvements. I hope it continues growing and will be interesting to see it it tries to target less techy users, or whether it tries to be the all in one toolbox for techies, or ..etc...etc. 

7 hours ago, geoath said:

On the other hand, kinda bad news for Hobbyists, as from  now on this target group will have to pay as a freelancer to have the 2021 version, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

(Individual license practically merges amateur and pro licenses in one license for commercial use with a cost a bit higher of current pro license).

Your concern is understandable. And there’s a few thoughts for a possible solution here.

First off, on top of the main 3DCoat, we plan to introduce a new cheaper product (this is yet to be announced), based on 3DCoat’s texturing & materials tools. Maybe that could work as an option for some of the hobbysts. 

Secondly, we plan to introduce not only the one-time purchase option, but also renting of 3DCoat, where you’d have monthly payments, which would be much more affordable an option. 

Thirdly, and you can take it as a kind of lifehack, say you download the 30-day trial and it expires, yet you could continue using the program and all the toolset even after the trial expires, with an exception of the exporting (you can still save your models in the internal 3DCoat’s format though) and rendering functions (render with watermarks) . So, that would essentially allow you to use the program completely for free:). And say, If you need to export your model in an external format or render it without watermarks, you can pay one-month rent and then cancel the subscription. Technically this could work as a good option for those who just started learning 3D modeling and are not ready to buy the full license just yet.

Hi stas3dc!

My concerns were mostly about 3dCoat future itself regarding  potential new users such as amateurs/hobbyists/low profit users ( I already own a Pro License and the upgrade policy was clear for my case).

I couldn't understand why Pilgway would kinda "abandon" this target group with the new license policy, when other companies make the opposite (even Autodesk is trying a restricted Indie license).

Your reply was solid regarding possible solutions,  and this is good news, thanks!

5 hours ago, stas3dc said:

Yes, you will have a free upgrade to V2021 Individual...

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will order my upgrade, and look forward to the new version.

I have not been using 3d coat much lately, because the computer I used for CG work died on me and my other computer that I have been using since, just wasn't up to the task.  I just bought  a new computer that is  more than up to handling 3D Coat. 

I have a  professional Version 4  license that I bought in 2013.  Wow, it doesn't seem to be that long ago.  I have been a 3D coat user since Version 3.   I upgraded from version 3 to version 4.  I started with an amateur license and upgraded to the professional when it was on sale, even though I wasn't a professional because I loved the program so much.

I have been really pleased with the program.  But I am just a hobbyist.  The new tools in this  new version of 3D coat look amazing with many features that I would like.  I am wondering, if I want the next version  at a price I can afford should I upgrade to version I already have..  Just in the time that I have been away from 3D coat so much has changed,  I have to catch up on the current tool set, this new version look likes something I want. 

You already have 4. Professional, the only upgrade you need is the new version when it comes out - presumably for a slightly higher amount than the current $99 according to the announcement.  I'm not sure that they have fixed prices just yet - maybe someone will answer, but an email might be a more direct way.

This current offer is to encourage new purchases of V4 so they get the upgrade in a month or so when it comes out, and not have people just waiting for the new version in case they miss out. Unfortunately, those that have had V4 for a long time miss out - but they have had access to the whole of V4s free updates for years - so swings and roundabouts...

I have V3 and having looked at the latest release of v 4.95 or whatever it is now, I can say that you have plenty to be getting on with for the time being, especially if you haven't looked at it for a while.

Either way, as always, I'm sure it will be interesting to see what comes next.

Argh... 

Belay all that. It seems that I am unable to Upgrade to V4.0 because my licence is an upgrade from version 2.0. It would be no problem if I only had the original V2 license, but not a V3.0 upgrade.  

You can't upgrade if you have upgraded before? you have to buy a new full licence?

Can I revoke my V3.0 licence, convert it back to a V2 licence, so I can then upgrade to V4?

The blurb doesnt say anything about this issue.

"3D-Coat is a frequently updated program. If you own an older generation license, such as V2 or V3, use this option to upgrade to the latest of 3D-Coat. After upgrading you will receive a new key enabling you access to the latest features of 3D-Coat."

Edited by MkIII

13 hours ago, pagankmck said:

I am wondering, if I want the next version  at a price I can afford should I upgrade to version I already have.. 

No, you already have a V4 version, it doesn't matter which V4.**, even if you bought it in 2013,  so please just wait until the release of V2021  and then make the upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 8/28/2020 at 2:32 AM, pagankmck said:

I have a  professional Version 4  license that I bought in 2013.  Wow, it doesn't seem to be that long ago.  I have been a 3D coat user since Version 3.   I upgraded from version 3 to version 4

Same here, i hope long time users will get some discount.

Because main features i'm interested in 2021 is only the translationnal symmetry.

- Nodes editor seem too limited, not enough textures examples and variety on the video (to compare with some Substance Designer possibilities)

- Cloath Simulation video lacks advanced character clothing  and objects examples to really show if it's usable and it's possibilities.

I guess those two features will not be enough advanced and not enough complete when 2021 will be available.

3D Coat 2021 will be great for new comers, but for people using other advanced software at same time like Zbrush and Substance or Marvelous Designer, the upgrade won't be a must have if the price will be above 99$.

I think regular low price upgrades from previous version each year (25 to 50$) could have been better.

Edited by Ratchet