3DCoat Forums

[Bug] Ambient Occlusion and Curvature Map Crash

I have a complex model of a brain.  I'm trying to get an AO and need the Curve map to finish model  3DC just freezes trying to build either of these.  I've lost a few scene files in the process.  I would like to upload the current scene that keeps freezing if there is room.  I do have several UV maps with varying texres sizes as I need this this way for post and Maya work in RS.

Attached are the files for diagnostics.

Thanks,

Jason

DxDiag.txt

Log.txt

Brain RT_LT_Clean_09_RT_1.3b

Brain RT_LT_Clean_09_RT_1.3b.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

3DC version 4.9.57 OpenGl.

I was able complete both AO and Occlusion baking at default settings.  3DC did not freeze 

I see you are using the DX version so it must be specific to that version.

For now trying using the Opengl version of 3DC 

• Reputable Contributor

I tested the DX version 4.9.57  as well.

I do not get any freezes. 

AO 49 seconds

Curvature 75 seconds.

Now 3DC might say it is not responding or you get the spinning blue circle but 3DC is in deep calculations. 

Why this happens with 3DC when deep calculations are being done you get the above I do not know.

Could be some hardware specific with some computers. 

I'm using default AO, But .43 gamma as I'm using for an emission layer in Post.  Samples at 4096 with 4x AA.  my percentage counted up to 3619% in Top Right corner and now appears to be frozen.  It's been going for 5 min.  I'm going to wait a bit longer but sure feels frozen to me.  My onboard Mem is fine, disk space, etc.

Win10 (tragic)

2080ti

Plenty of CPU.

1 hour ago, digman said:

Test the GL version to complete your project. I saw the Dxdiag log after my post. 

I edited my original post. Of course the DX version needs to be fixed.

I mean Top Left of GUI..

Edited by co3Darts

Should have just used a procedural curvature node in Maya/RS.  Kinda missed a soft deadline :(

BTW, thanks for your help and Carlos!  Much appreciated. Blue spinner circle still doing it's thing.  I'll check in 15min.  See if I am just being impatient.

Edited by co3Darts

• Reputable Contributor

I ran your settings, np problems. 1:10 seconds.  opengl. 

Your times should be close to mine but your 15 minutes, that"s a lockup unless you got a ancient computer which I doubt.

Sorry to hear about the soft deadline. 

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Ambient Occlusion and Curvature Map Crash

Thanks Carlosan, as I hope I indicated above.  I may have some issue on my end not related to 3DC, not sure yet but by my moving the file to my local drive off the network, I was able to get both a curve and ao bake to work?  Maybe there still is a problem and it's intermittent.

Andrew said:

On my side it works as expected in 4.9.58.
Anyway, I see no sense in 4X AA there. So, use 0x AA.
And distance between islands is huge, I recommend decreasing them in UV settings (% of distance between islands = 15%). It will increase quality very essentially.