3DCoat Forums

Up to date manual/how can I or can I not?

XCOTT

I’m working on geometric objects to print, actual size. I want precision and I’m finding it difficult. 

1. Change constrain angle from default for rotation

or can I display the degrees in an OSD 

2.can I use the arrow keys to position objects

3.  Is there a “best practices” for fluid performances guide out there. Is it a mix of voxels and surfaces, depending on what you’re doing?

4. can I scale to dimensions rather than a percentage?

I try to find answers on my own but(as I’ve probably already said) the information landscape is a mash up of very old and new and is very hard to parse  

Edited by XCOTT
Additional information

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, First of all I do not need very close dimensions in my work. I do work in Meters when I need Blender.

I will help as much as I can. Anyone else who does 3D printing can hop in and share their knowledge as well.

Voxels are great for boolean operations. Voxels require more memory. Surface is mode great for adding details plus you have sculpt layers. Really is a user choice. I generally start in Voxels and switch to surface mode later.  

First any features you like to see added please post a feature request. Andrew is creative by nature and has been on the forefront of adding many great features to 3DC. He also listens to his user base and 3DC has evolved with many many features added that we have requested and I have been here since 2007. 

I did some testing.

Scene Set Up

Under the Geometry Menu in the Sculpt room:

Edit Scene Scale. Set it to 100.00

Define Measurement Unit. Set it to Cm.   I would take it that your are working in Cm or whatever measurement unit you need.

The above sets 3DC to real world scale.  If you import your model into Blender which is can be set to cm the model will import at the correct cm dimensions. I tested this before and again today.

Save this 3DC file before any work is started. Load it whenever you do work for printing.

The below is not a tutorial but enough information with some looking carefully at the tool options to get you started. 

I always recommend before starting a real project, test the tool and examine the options to get the feel  for the tool.

I would say 3DC is better suited to cutting your objects to the size you desire using the measuring tool.

Tip: When drawing out a new measurement point over a existing point on a measurement line that has already been laid down, hold down the Ctrl key, so you do not select the current point on the other curve. Wait till you see the point turn blue, then hold down the key. That way you are drawing out from that point a new curve with correct dimensions. Hold down the shift key to draw out straight lines.

You can select in the measuring tool options for other tools to snap to the measuring lines. click on a point on the measure line and draw out your cut. Tested, it works.

To transform a model in 3DC space more precisely:

When using the transform tool:  Hover over a direction arrow, press left mouse button, holding it down. Press the spacebar key. You will have numeric input box appear.  Works on rotation and Scale, Scaling is still by percentage.

3DC scales only by percentage. 

Now having said the above 3DC does not do CAD like precision. It is a sculpting program by nature but with a little work you can get close.

Here is a video series that might give you some helpful information. I did not watch them. It starts on part 4 but to the right in the Youtube page is the list starting from "1". It is two series.  I recommend searching you tube as well 3DC printing tutorials.

Measure.jpg