3DCoat Forums

Smart Materials broken :( ?!

tritochke

I'm currently using latest beta build .59 and few days ago I've noticed issues with smart material preview not being updated in thumbnail which renders all my newly created materials to look transparent, and of course you can imagine this leaves me clueless as to which material I'm actually using. I've tried to reinstall coat in order to try and fix this issue and for a moment I thought I succeeded, then I realised that issue is still here still, every time I make new material. Ok, so, this is one problem which I don't know how to fix, manually refreshing materials DO NOT work. My second issue i'm experiencing at the moment is even bigger one and it's also related to materials and how they are being perceived through the viewport '' preview '' window and the actual application onto the layer itself. i'll add image below to show you exactly what I mean. basically, probl is that when I view material in preview window it looks OK - BUT when I apply it to the layer via paint brush or fill bucket material is not correct. 

3DCoatPreviewProbl.jpg

3DCoat_SMaterialPreview_Transparent.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

All my tips and questions or only to effect a solution.

The viewport problem:

The preview window renders at 8k resolution I believe but the quality of the applied the material depends upon your texture resolution.  

In the smart material editor have you unlocked depth. This will cause the depth to depend upon the pen radius and depth setting in the top menu.

Question. Have you moved the location of the images associated with your Smart Materials on your hard drive. 

I also would be interested in looking at the shaders through the extension pack that Carlosan suggested.

When creating new smart materials you can move them to a new folder you create. That is what I do. 

23 hours ago, digman said:

All my tips and questions or only to effect a solution.

The viewport problem:

The preview window renders at 8k resolution I believe but the quality of the applied the material depends upon your texture resolution.  

In the smart material editor have you unlocked depth. This will cause the depth to depend upon the pen radius and depth setting in the top menu.

Question. Have you moved the location of the images associated with your Smart Materials on your hard drive. 

I also would be interested in looking at the shaders through the extension pack that Carlosan suggested.

When creating new smart materials you can move them to a new folder you create. That is what I do. 

Interesting though, however, my material is simply a small 100x100 px white layer, I'm using it only as a base that I then colourise in Coat. So, basically, it's almost resolution independent you could say. As far as resolution of my map is concerned it's 4K so it's should show all the necessary details within preview window, because my NM is showing them as well, so they are present in the map. As far as depth goes, i've never touched it, it's basically on default. being '' locked '', and since I haven't used any depth details in my material and I'm only painting here with solid colours  ( all the depth details you see here are from my NM, not material ) I highly doubt that it's the root of this problem. I appreciate your take on it, thank you and yes, i'll def share materials, maybe you'll see better what i'm doing wrong here, and of course if perhaps this is indeed a bug. thank u ! :)  N. p.s. just give me some time to organise this share folder, i'll try and share it asap. cheers

hi all, little update on the situation regarding '' smart materials '' thumbnail preview, I'm doing my best to try and replicate this problem from ground up in order to see if there is some sort of pattern to it, but I've not had any luck with that, even two days ago when I was finishing textures on one simple character issue was present each time I created new material so I have to conclude this happens on random. If I may propose this thread stays open till I see this issue again and I'll share my materials immediately when that happens. I've also had an idea about potential source of this problem and it concerns environment map, lately i've started using new Hdri map and I haven't ''normalised it '' inside 3DCoat, so, roughly around that time this issue with material preview started to appear, soo, perhaps this is somehow related to EnvMap , just a guess ?!? As far as materials not being correctly applied I'm sorry I cannot dig out that particular material, I believe I simply deleted it believing that something is wrong with it and opt-ed out for different material/approach for that texture all together. Also, If I see this issue again I'll share this image and material immediately on this thread. thank you for reaching out and helping me, I appreciate it. N.

• Thanks 1