3DCoat Forums

Impossible to export pbr smart materials ?

Hi, i'm trying to export my object with the smart material i applied, but its impossible I put to my objetc the smart material but everytime i open my object in 3ds max it doesn't show that bronze pbr smart material ! the smart material looks good to me inside 3dcoat, ONLY when i render it show the material, but without rendering it apperas grey, like in 3ds max !!

I need to solve this quickly !

I almso have another problem my steam licence is limited to 2k textures ??

Why i cant use bigger resolutions i puirchassed my licence from Steam ! ?

export01.jpg

export02.jpg

export03.jpg

export04.jpg

Edited by imothep85

• Reputable Contributor

This video might help for 3D max. He is using the Vray render engine. Of course I do not know which one you are using. There is a 3D max app link for 3DCoat but how well it works I do not know.

Every game engine handles things a little different for PBR rendering like Gloss / Metalness  or Roughness / Metalness workflow.

Your Metalness maps and Gloss or Roughness need to be set to linear in the game engine. Same with Blender's EEVEE or Cycles renderers.

I have no trouble with  3DCoat PBR rendering in Unreal or Unity.   

The video is 5 years old so much could have changed in Max for Pbr rendering. You would have to go to the max forums and ask around.

Your 3DC licence appears not to be the Professional licence. You will be limited to 2k texture export.

• Advanced Member

Textures exported out of 3DCoat are perfectly fine, you need to understand how your shader pipeline works on each engine you want to use these textures.
Using Substance Painter or Mari won't change this rule.

A little clue : Gamma setup (on 3dsmax) & sRGB stuff has to be setup with logic on each maps.
Also, on 3dsMax, there's some parameters you need to take in account to make it work, like for example you can't throw a normalmap directly in the bump input (it sucks, we all know that, and in recent versions of 3dsmax you have "PBR Metal/Rough" materials which handles PBR almost like regular realtime engine does...they just lacks of parameters but anyway)

Keep also in mind that nowadays rendering a nice shot can be done using realtime game engines such as Unreal, you can litterally crank up the details and achieve gorgeous results in no time, post-process is also done in realtime, so compositing is no longer a real need.

Since 3DCoat fully did its job (doing PBR maps, that's it), I guess there is no need to ask for help here but on autodesk forums

• Advanced Member

3ds max standard shader what you used is not PBR, it is old shader just for compatibility for old formats like for fbx export etc. PBR in physical shader it is also support viewport PBR or others depend of render engine, but there is different workflow, for example corona renderer have only specular model and Rough map you need to tweak(invert etc or change in 3d coat)