3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Duplicating a paint object and editing it

Archnila

I'm starting to get a bit more familiarised with how 3dcoat works. I'm just wondering, how does one duplicate an object from the paint room? Let's say I've already sculpted an object in the sculpt room, bring it to the retopology room to retopologise it, and then bake it to paint. One way I figured out is to bring the retop mesh to the sculpt room and duplicate it in the sculpt room, but what if I just made a small change, for example, add a hole to one part of it. Is there a way to copy the same retop mesh and keep the same uv maps without having to retopologise the new duplicated mesh? 

• Reputable Contributor

A simple example, multiple layers would be more complicate but possible.

And this process is better if you have not done any painting work in the paint room or it would be easier that is.

Sculpt on a new clone layer in the sculpt room or on original layer. Hide the original layer if you cloned it.

Retopo room. Rename the retopo group layers.

Create a new uv set 

Select and move the renamed retopo group layers to the new uv set. 

Bake to the paint room making sure the correct uv set is chosen.

You now have two models with two separate uv sets and normal maps. Only one normal map layer is shown in the paint room but 3DC sees two internally according to the uv sets. They will export correctly

Use the tweak room tool to move one model so it is not over lapping the other if needed.

Now start your painting work.

FYI. There are a couple of other ways but this is the easier method.

Of course you can duplicate / clone the retopo group layers and move them to the new uv set if you want to keep the original retopo group layers.

Icon shown in picture for duplicating. It is at the bottom of the retopo objects panel. 

2nd picture.. Creating new uv set and moving selections to a uv set.

duplicate2.jpg

creations.jpg

Edited by digman
More information and pictures
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, digman said:

And this process is better if you have not done any painting work in the paint room or it would be easier that is.

Sculpt on a new clone layer in the sculpt room or on original layer. Hide the original layer if you cloned it.

Create a new uv set 

You now have two models with two separate uv sets and normal maps. Only one normal map layer is shown in the paint room but 3DC sees two internally according to the uv sets. They will export correctly

Use the tweak room tool to move one model so it is not over lapping the other if needed.

Of course you can duplicate / clone the retopo group layers and move them to the new uv set if you want to keep the original retopo group layers.

Icon shown in picture for duplicating. It is at the bottom of the retopo objects panel. 

duplicate2.jpg

creations.jpg

Ah ok. I’ll go try that. Thanks!

On 9/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, digman said:

Create a new uv set 

duplicate2.jpg

creations.jpg

Ah ok. I’ll try that! Thanks!

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Duplicating a paint object and editing it