3DCoat Forums

Paint: Change the color across a layer?

Cybergooch

If I create a new layer and paint a number of areas using the single poly paint tool with a smart material, then later decide I want to adjust the color, is there a way to do that to the whole layer? Or do I need to refill all the polys individually with a different smart material?

• Advanced Member

i just discovered this, so give it a try and see if it works for your use case.

- Create another layer. (example : layer 6 )

- with the layer selected, goto "layer blending" panel

- clip mask layer >> layer 5 (layer that you have painted selectively earlier)

- select any material and fill flood it.

This method basically create a masking of what you have painted earlier.

if you are looking at preserving the depths, just hide the color and leave the depth opacity alone in the "layer 5"

• Advanced Member
On 9/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, Cybergooch said:

If I create a new layer and paint a number of areas using the single poly paint tool with a smart material, then later decide I want to adjust the color, is there a way to do that to the whole layer? Or do I need to refill all the polys individually with a different smart material?

After you paint area (with smart material etc) in the layer,  right click the painted layer, then you may see some option layer menu.

There are some ways I suppose, but  I usually use Refill Mateiral. 

It only pick area which already colored (non transparent area) of the layer, then FIll again with your current material. (or you can Fill with new color without smart material)

or you can use "Freeze -transparent area" >> then Fill with color or smart material ,  should show almost same thing.

mat1.thumb.JPG.9ce91777dae4730bdb50f88b863d078e.JPG

Refill.thumb.JPG.2e9bf0141ac5a2c8cc93f6aa28a7104e.JPGrefill3.thumb.JPG.1042428b0035c616c4aabf3787f1f24a.JPGrefill4.thumb.JPG.c912e210a409240721cb95d196b4dfda.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Reputable Contributor

Another 2 ways.

Color operations brush.  4th brush down in the left tool bar. (Paint room) Picture shows the tool panel for the Color operations brush. 

If you want to fill a whole layer using the color operations brush, use a spline tool and be sure to deselect " Ignore back faces" in the E-panel.

Your blending layers as well, like in Photoshop. Shown in the picture also. Create a new layer above the smart material layer, choose a desired blending mode.

color.jpg