3DCoat Forums

Ornamental object modeling/sculpting

Milan

Can 3DCoat be used to make fairly easy these types of models, the ornamentals? I was watching some videos on the modeling, but couldn't find any that deals with these types of models. I'm interested in the workflow. I noticed there is a air brush which can as i understood kind of extract the basic contures, but i imagine it can also be a lot of work if the ornament is complex. Are there any tools that can be used to achieve fast results when making these models? If there is also some video that covers this, that would be great. Here is some examples of objects that im interested in:
Some types of frames, integrated into another object. Would you somehow make them from an image, is there a tool like that in 3dcoat? Don't get me wrong, it's 100% doable in probably all programs, but im trying to somehow pinpoint the workflow, so that the modeling process doesn't end up being cumbersome with wrong and ultra slow aproaches.

For example, would you do these ornaments in a separate layer, then merge it on a, perhaps solid frame under to get the full model? Don't know... Would air brush be used for something like this?
There are vox extrude/hide and cut tools, but im not sure how good are they for this ornamental design, because when i looked some videos i found their main use to be on hard surface. Truth?

http://Screenshot-2.png

Screenshot-3.png

http://

something similar like this...

then maybe something like these tables and closet type of objects...

Screenshot-5.png

Screenshot-8.png

These are some pictures i found on the internet, but there are plenty of similar examples.

Any thoughts? ; Workflows, something crucial to keep in mind things..?

My experience in sculpting is with organic meshes like flowers, and that was with blender, which is a good software but 3dcoat seems to me like far more specialized. I thought to look at 3dcoat for these things, because i've read it's incredibly good at both hard surface and organic, but i think mainly because of vox sculpt.
Any talk much appreciated.

:)

• Reputable Contributor

Many tools to get the job done.  

Curves, self created Alphas. Setting your tapering degree.  Draw along brush,  Pose tool, Strips Alphas, Using the Stamp tool for relief. Extrude brush. Vox layers, lathe tool and more.......................

Main thing is to learn the tools in 3DC on simple creation. Like the quick candle stick I made. Get the feel of how the tools work. Then move up to more complicated type of work you want to do. 

I made this quick candle stick holder in one half hour using just the basic tools and alphas in 3DC.  This is not quality but to give you and idea.

The below videos should be helpful.  Now he uses a program to help create the alphas he needs but Alphas are easy to create in lots of programs. Many ways to create in 3DC not limited to the ones shown in the videos.

Candle_holder.jpg

456.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Here is an example of using an Alpha with the Stamp drap spline.

Also once the basic shape of your model is done. Surface mode will give you dynamic tessellation using the live clay brushes. This way you can create an alpha and make very very fine details with it. 

You can also use the Subdivide brush on selected areas of the model then use any brush or tool to get higher detail in those areas. 

The example is only voxel mode. 

To Test some alphas, go to textures.com. There download some free alphas. That is what I did for the below alpha.

Create your own brush folder and place them there.

stamp.jpg

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Taper controls the diameter of the stroke as you draw it out. You have a control panel to adjust as shown in the picture. In the tool panel, enable tapering.

Strip Alphas also can have the spacing adjusted in the Brush panel according to your need. 

I gave you a list of brushes / tools but there are others too so know as you become familiar with 3DC your tool base will expand. 

tapering.jpg

• Like 2