3DCoat Forums

3DCoat and memory problems

Up until this afternoon 3DCoat has been working just fine.

However, I accidentally attempted to import  a texture that was way too large for 3DCoat to deal with.Almost immediately up popped a window that said there was insufficient memory and the application crashed. 

There seems to be more than enough memory on my Macmini  OS 10.14.3 available to run it. I have 31 GB available on my drive. Alas from that point on 3DCoat would not complete startup. I have attached info from my activity monitor.

So......I eventually ditched the corrupted file, uninstalled the program and downloaded the latest version. I thought this would clear out any existing problem but even a newly installed version just crashes within a few minutes every time I try to start it.The memory warning does not even show up any more.

If memory is still an issue, and due to my ignorance I am not sure how to deal with it, how do I increase it ? Is there a way to designate more memory to just this program or do I have to reduce the number of files on my hard drive and make even more GBs available ?

Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated as I need to texture my model urgently.

Thanks Limey

activity monitor.jpg

Hi Carlosan

these are my graphic card particulars.....I have a 2018 macmini running OS 10.14.3. The application worked very well before this particular incident.

Intel UHD Graphics 630:

Chipset Model: Intel UHD Graphics 630

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel

Device ID: 0x3e9b

Revision ID: 0x0000

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

The texture was only experimental and I reduced it down to a more reasonable size when I realized I had accidentally created one that was too large that caused the initial crash. I have not had an opportunity to use the resized one since the application stopped working.

Would resetting the VRAM be a good idea ?

Thanks

Limey

As i can read, source...

How much is the Video Memory of UHD 630?
Being an Integrated GPU, the Intel UHD Graphics 630 doesn’t have any Video/Graphics Memory of its own. Instead, it utilizes the system’s memory (RAM) dynamically for the same purpose. You can change the maximum Video Memory from the BIOS settings.

If you get "out of memory" errors, "disappearing" / "invisible" layers, or sudden crashes, more vRam always help.

Can access additional graphics performance by connecting to an external graphics (eGPU can give your Mac additional graphics performance)

Thanks for providing such quick information but, excuse my ignorance, how do I change the maximum Video Memory form the BIOS settings ?

I have no idea where to access it on my Mac.

I'll look into the external graphics suggestion, sounds like a great idea. I didn't know one could do such a thing.

Thanks

Limey