3DCoat Forums

Small bug when exporting Color / albedo map

Cless_Aurion

I usually use the "Texture -> Export -> Color / albedo"      to export my Emissive maps. I noticed that its impossible to export a perfectly pitch black texture. When opened in photoshop the minimum value is R1G1B1 which will always break emissive maps. This bug has been happening... at least since 4.8 if I remember properly. I looked if someone notified it, but I couldn't find anyone that did.
The only other inconsistency I remember when exporting maps, is that using the "store gloss/roughness in metal alpha" will always export a slightly darker map than it does when exporting the maps separately and adding them manually.

• Reputable Contributor

Windows beta version 4.9.63

I tested exporting a black texture using your method

Layer set to Standard, then Emissive just to test.

In Affinity, both textures are Red "0"  Green "0"  Blue "0" and the correct hex number. 

Not sure what is happening on your end or am I missing a step.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, because of what you said, I explored it a bit more in depth and was able to find the truth about the issue.

Apparently, it is related to me using HSL on the color palette in 3DCoat mixed with my getting black by click and dragging the lightness bar to make it absolute black.

Apparently 0% lightness doesn't mean RGB 0,0,0 . The last % is harder to get to true 0%. What was happening is that actually I saw it go down to 0%, but it was higher than RGB 0.5,0.5,0.5 but lower than RGB 1,1,1.
It seems hard to get to by click and dragging the HSL lightness bar down to real 0% most of the times, it will be a value between 0 and 1. It takes a few extra whole screen pans of click and drag to bring that last 0% to true 0%.

So that is where the issue is!

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, tokikake said:

I feel I may see same issue if I use slider (the float problem may happen with other aprication slider too)  but you can input 0, with click the area, did you try it? 

Yes, writing 0 or using RGB values seems to fix the issue!

• Carlosan changed the title to Small bug when exporting Color / albedo map
  • 3 weeks later...