3DCoat Forums

Help with a glitchy pixelated model

Hello. Now I'm a relatively new user to 3d coat, and I've decided to try out the 30 day trial, see if I can pop-out some skins and practice with the program since right now I cannot afford the full package just yet.

So I'm downloading the program, setting it up and making sure everything is running properly, when I run into the issue in the image included. Upon opening up a model, it glitches out and is facing straight up instead of sideways on the X axis, and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Is anyone able to help? I'm running version 4.5.38(DX64) if that helps...

Help 3dcoat.png

• Reputable Contributor

That model could have been created with Z up. 

Edit Menu----- Preferences------Viewport-----Z up.   3DC's default is Y is up.

If Z up is not selected, then select it. If it is selected---deselect it.

I prefer to close and reopen 3DC after changing settings. It is not always the case to do so. 

One setting or the other should solve that problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The glitches on the model is normally is due to something wrong with the uv set. Check it out and you can always share the model if possible for others to examine. 

PM me if it the model needs to be shared privately.

Zup.jpg

1 hour ago, digman said:

That model could have been created with Z up. 

Edit Menu----- Preferences------Viewport-----Z up.   3DC's default is Y is up.

If Z up is not selected, then select it. If it is selected---deselect it.

I prefer to close and reopen 3DC after changing settings. It is not always the case to do so. 

One setting or the other should solve that problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The glitches on the model is normally is due to something wrong with the uv set. Check it out and you can always share the model if possible for others to examine. 

PM me if it the model needs to be shared privately.

Zup.jpg

I'm deeply sorry but I don't think "Z-Up" is in my version's preferences. I've looked through it all and I'm not seeing it.

To clarify, I am using the version I stated in the beginning post.

The Models I'm trying to paint on is here: https://primalcarnage.com/downloads/CharacterAssets.zip (These are every model I wish to use for editing, I'm using the one in the Dinosaurs > Dilo folder)

• Reputable Contributor

Opps... Yes, your preferences are different.  I am not sure how yours is laid out but Z up is there in preferences.

That goes way back to a have a Z up setting.  

Picture is 4.1.17D Pre PBR.

Yours might look similar. Of course by 4.5 38 things could have been switched around by then.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First with Z up selected the model loads correctly.

I tested the model. It could the FBX version that is being used but not sure. 

I imported the model into Blender, exported as an FBX model and it loads into 3DC correctly. 

There are unwelded vertices in the model as well. Since I do not know the end use of the model, I can not tell you if it needs it's vertices welded upon import.

Pref.jpg

dino.jpg

good.jpg

3 hours ago, digman said:

Opps... Yes, your preferences are different.  I am not sure how yours is laid out but Z up is there in preferences.

That goes way back to a have a Z up setting.  

Picture is 4.1.17D Pre PBR.

Yours might look similar. Of course by 4.5 38 things could have been switched around by then.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First with Z up selected the model loads correctly.

I tested the model. It could the FBX version that is being used but not sure. 

I imported the model into Blender, exported as an FBX model and it loads into 3DC correctly. 

There are unwelded vertices in the model as well. Since I do not know the end use of the model, I can not tell you if it needs it's vertices welded upon import.

Pref.jpg

dino.jpg

good.jpg

Ok- Got the Z axis thing fixed and now it's correctly oriented. Now my next question is, how would one change the model to an FBX. I apologize if this question is a newbie one, I'm very new to the whole 3d model thing and I wanna learn!

Btw, the models are just being painted on so I can use 'em to make a skin of sorts.

• Reputable Contributor

You say you are new to 3D. Not sure how new so the below is only to help.

First Understand the PBR workflow.  3DC uses the PBR workflow.  YouTube is a good place to view videos on understanding PBR. You then will understand the reason your model looks the way it does. At the moment it appears metallic to me.

You have several maps in the PBR workflow.

The most common workflow is Roughness---Metallic (metalness), The other is Smoothness/Gloss , Metallic (metalness)

The main 3 maps in the PBR workflow:

Albedo or in other words your base color map.

Roughness map or Smoothness/ Gloss

Metallic map

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Rendering Software or game eninge has to support the PBR workflow as well for the maps to render correctly. 

Under the Textures menu you choose which workflow. I use Roughness/Metallness as Blender and Unreal4 both support this workflow.

PBR.jpg

Hello. I've looked through the Textures, Uv options, all I can but for some reason they're still incredibly metallic. I'm thinking of trying another version of 3dcoat, though I'm not sure if it's because of my graphics card or something else with my computer.

Thank you for your help still though, I greatly appreciate it digman!