3DCoat Forums

Bug in the painting room?

Richard A.

• Advanced Member

Hi,

3D Coat seems to stop cooperating after a short while.  Regardless if I'm using the clone tool to paint over seams or it's the brush tool.

My steps.

1) Working with a 3D model that has multiple skin maps

2) Select the Clone Brush

3) Hold down Ctrl and click on the area I want to be the guide and transfer of material

4) Stamp or brush over the intended area to fix or blend out better (I'm trying to correct some seams on top of the head where the Torso and Head maps meet)

5) Release the brush, nothing happens.

All the steps were tried multiple times using the brush tool with the color picker using a skin tone that matched the texture maps.  Nada happens there either.

So not sure what's going on here.  Am I missing a step or what's happening?  

Thanks for the help! 

• Advanced Member

I guess different systems could have issues with these tools!  This has been an ongoing issue for me since I've started using 3DCoat in recent months but I was hoping that an update would fix it magically.  If others can't reproduce this or have similar issues I guess there is nothing to do about it!  :(

• Reputable Contributor

Windows Beta version 4.9.65 GL

I can re-produce the error upon certain conditions which is--------------Baking from the Retopo room for PPP painting with a normal map. 

The Clone tool does not function as expected.  I get some cloning but it glitches up...

Now if I Clone in the Texture Editor it works but not in the 3D viewport.

MyTest:

Voxel mode

I used the head model that comes with 3DC. I deleted the eyes, ears and nose layers

Ran auto-retopo. 2000 polygons

Created a simple uv set.

Baked for Per Pixel Painting with normal map.

Using the clone tool does not function properly in this case. 

You made run the same test.

I have not tested all conditions. 

Carlosan's example works. Importing a model, then importing it's normal map works as well but as I said have not tested all conditions.

Here is my test. You can bake to the paint room  for PPP with normal map and try it yourself.

Clonetest.3b

Clone.jpg

Edited by digman
More Info

• Advanced Member

See all I need is the diffuse map fixed, not a whole lot of work.  If I could do that in Photoshop I'd just go that route but this is a 3D model and while PS has 3D capabilities it's really really bad!  REALLY BAD!  :blink:

Edited by Richard A.

• Reputable Contributor

This appears to be a bug at least in one condition. I am going to send my file to the development team for them to look at.

Workarounds below: They might or might not meets your needs.

Have you tried cloning using the texture editor, that appears to working correctly.

Or use the projection feature that links to photoshop just to fixed the diffuse texture using Photoshops's clone tool.

You can project two ways. The uv set view or the current 3D viewport projection.

Ctrl---P to view the uv set with layers. 

I created a hot key for the projected view. Ctrl---Alt---O 

You can also sync just one layer too.

Look under the Edit menu for the selections.

editing.jpg

• Advanced Member

OK, tried my hand at it, the issue is with the maps being exported to PS.  There is one map at a time so fixing seams way just doesn't work.  

I'm also noticing that when I had a fresh copy of the project the brush seems to glide along, the longer I work that stops.  Now I'm relegated to just clicking, I can no longer click and drag to brush new cloned texture, it's only click and it's stuck and then nothing happens.  

Also, one more thing, is there a way to have the background of the exported maps be pure white rather than have them export with the color of the skin?  It makes the maps heavier with that extra color information.  I figured out how to reduce the bleed border but can't find where the option for the background would be for exported maps.  

I guess what I can do is start the project over with the saved maps I have exported already, which were a LITTLE better than the originals and see if the bug resolves itself.  Need to get this done!  

• Reputable Contributor

I be happy to go over this with you using skype if you so desire so you can finish your project. 

Pm me if you want to use skype and I will give you my user name. 

I am not sure what you mean by one map. One uv set?

You can have one layer or all your layers  in PS or  you can have 3D viewport projection of your model depending upon your selection you choose under the edit menu . 

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Turned off both the 0 and 1 layers as they don't affect what I'm doing

Drivers are up to date

16 Gigs of DDR4 RAM, which is plenty for working in most other 3D programs including ZBrush with no slow down

Here is the current settings I have.  I'm getting NOTHING when trying to clone over where the head and torso maps meet.  You can see in this screen grab why this would be rejected by the on line store that I'd be submitting this too

Top of the head.png

• Reputable Contributor

The 3DC file will have the information I need or should. You can include the obj model file if you wish and any image maps associated with that obj model file  

Edit:

If the model was created in an external application it would be good to have the original model file.

Edited by digman
more infor

• Advanced Member

It's a model made by someone else.  With as large as the saved file is I would THINK that the all the needed info is in there.  

What is your email address so I can hook you up via Dropbox, you can PM me here with it if it's too weird to post it here!  

• Reputable Contributor

Going to post my last answer to Richard in a pm.

Ah, ok you want to keep the current texture resolutions of the different uv sets and the current UV texture space given each uv island. 

Here is a quick blending using the color picker and some alphas. spotty types work best like noise patterns. can be different size noises.

I picked a few different colors to help it blend.

I increase the brush radius to help blend plus different opacity in the layer settings. I used two layers.

You make a fade away blend that helps to blend between the two quite different texture resolutions on the head. 

The picture was just a 5 minute blend.  It could be better.

blending.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...