3DCoat Forums

About Texture Painting

abaken

Hello - I'm using machine translation.

I love the 3dcoat texture paint!

But, the current texture paint is lacking in smoothness.(Shift+right click)

And then I'd like a thumbnail of the layer.

Hopefully 3dcoat2021 will have paint and UV updates!

smooth.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

It appears to be that you are vertex painting (no uv set ). I could be wrong but it looks like vertex painting.

The quality of vertex painting is depended upon the amount of polygons (triangles) that the model has. That default head only has 177,632 polygons, not enough for high resolution painting. Vertex painting in most cases even with a high number of polygons will not be a fine as Texture painting at higher resolutions with a uv set.

Side note. Smoothing in vertex mode is not as fine as texture painting even at high resolutions. If I want something really smooth in vertex painting, I have a big falloff radius on my brush alpha..

My added image is a 4k texture with uv set baked to the paintroom from the retopo room.

Capture12.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I suppose what abaken means, smooth area which already colored as sharp.

As digman said fall of can generate smooth large area around the pen when we paint. but after make clear line or border, then try to smooth some area (blur effect)

Actualy I can not find stable way as I hope.

I know there is color operation tool > smooth.  and there is shift tool > expand or smudge .  but both tool options not work as "blur" I feel.

Maybe I miss something because  I do not use those 2 tool often (sometimes use smudge, to adjust area, but it is not "blur")

so if "smooth" option of blush (with shift key) actually smooth (blur) color too,  It is more intuitive.  

any tips way to make blur edge is welcom.  (eg mix use eraser and fall of etc)

I test again,, the smooth (with shift)  it actually smooth color but there seems limit to smooth out.

Once I blur area,, and continue shift click smooth,  it stop to blur .  I tried to change blush size, smooth strength, etc but without moving brush, and put on same postion show more smooth effect.

Edited by tokikake