3DCoat Forums

Retopo Master Tool

• Applink Developer

Hi! I have done some tests where I combine several retopo tools into one MASTER tool :) I'm not sure if this a good idea so I will invite all users to to test this out and give feedback what's good and what's bad. This only first alpha so be nice.. 

Master tool ( select quad tool) now is doing this:

- CLICK surface = Point/faces tool
- CLICK edge = Quad tool
- CLICK vertex = Poly line tool

- SHIFT + LMB polygons = Knife tool (After first click you don't need to hold SHIFT down anymore)
- SHIFT + CTRL =
Split Rings (know issue is that you have to first press SHIFT down and then CTRL to make this tool work
- CTRL + LMB = Brush tool ( While CTRL is down you can press SHIFT tool for smooth)

- RMB you can delete polylines and points.
- SHIFT + RMB = Delete polygon

3DCoatGL64.zip

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Advanced Member

Looks good.  I haven't tried it though.  How were you able to create this?  Are you part of the 3D Coat dev team?

My suggestion would be to add a cap functionality for when the points/faces tool can't see the quad and gives you a triangle

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, haikalle said:

Im official blender applink coder so I have access to code. I love to test different things, but this is just testing and playing with ideas state at the moment :) nothing else...

That is pretty cool.  There is a lot of great functionality in 3D Coat and it would be nice to see some tools linked together like what you're doing.

• Advanced Member

This is really good.  The thing I'd suggest adding is the CTRL and CTRL+SHIFT modifiers in

I use split loops a lot with Points faces, which allows me to make big simple retopo blockout and then add new loops after

• Advanced Member

If that is possible I have another small, but related request, which I think would make this tool really sensible.

Just out of curiosity, how does this tie int 3D Coat 2021?  Will any of these changes carry over?

• Applink Developer

@gbball Thanks, that modifier idea is really good. I try to implement that. And please give as much feedback you could give. It really helps me to improve this tool.

Small change. Now You don't need to press SHIFT down with every cut, only with first click.

@gbball It just too early to say if this is included in 2021....

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer

One more update. Now when you press CTRL + RMB it will delete polygon. I think that now this works almost as I planned. I think next step is to iron all bugs away from this tool and then let's see if we can bring this into official buils some day too.

EDIT: Brush resize and deleting polys conflict each other. Need to find better solution

Edited by haikalle
  • Thanks 1

• Applink Developer

oh yes. Now I understand better. I make sure that all other tools keeps working as they are right now.  I think I leave the selection option away from this tool. If I enable it then this tool could become too "big" and looses its meaning. Basic idea of this tool is this: create / move(brush) / delete .... and then repeat :)

• Reputable Contributor

Yes and visibility. With points/faces it is quite alright to have a tiny cursor because you can click anywhere, but with add/split you are selecting existing vertices and cutting through existing edges. the tiny circle becomes difficult to see in the midst of existing geometry.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, haikalle said:

@gbball Could you tell how it breaks the symmetry. I try to catch that but Im not able to see it.

I found it would break symmetry when I deleted a polygon on one side of a symmetrical retopo.  It wouldn't only delete on one side...It might be because  I had a central strip of polygons in the middle of the mesh as opposed to an edge loop running along the center.

I'll see if I can replicate and get back to you.

• Applink Developer

heh.. that's actually bug in my books.. it was unplanned :) My plan was to use RMB to delete action.  I need to see how it behaves in long run and I might leave it like that if there is no other harm. Andrew liked this idea and Im starting to merging this tool into 2021 version.

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, so, an update on the CTRL "bug" :

When you use points, if you press CTRL the points appear to be cleared, but in fact they are not. they simply become invisible. Which is definitely not desired.

It is not really a big deal : I have been working with your tool all day and only notice this now at 2 AM, which means it has not caused any issues all day. I only noticed by chance.