3DCoat Forums

Smart material enhancement for simple decal

tokikake

• Advanced Member

I added this request  in mantis, but I believe "It is must future" which current 3d coat smart material editor not offer then I really hope to see it in 3d coat 2020.  

I understand, there are Spline image tool, or can use Blush alpha , but it not matter for smart material enhancement request. (just offer more flexible)

1.  option to pick color texture alpha value (PNG, TGA, Tiff)  correctly without use mask texture.

at current, only way to paint decal with alpha,  with "smart material"  , we need to convert alpha channell as blakc and mono map, then need to plug it in Contralst (overall mask)

texture.  Though I do not  care, if I make more complex material, because I know I can add another layer , or mix use with stencil etc etc.

But when you hope to apply decal, then serch google etc, get nice decal as PNG etc,,  and just hope to use it, you may pick it and open smart material editor, or drug and drop on smart material tab,

it will auto connect it as color, with keep alpha.   It should be all step, which we expect to make simple decal material and store them.  

2. Smart material editor need option, paint without tilling .(it is not about preview)

At current only Stencill offer way to paint "Without illing", Even though Preview options offer "Tilling" toggle swithc, it atcually not work for paint. 

So just attach decal , we need to use lasso etc.  or my decal show as tilling.  

3.  Smart material editor need option " rotate with UV projected" 

there have been same request, but hope it will be offered and we can rotate smart material with other projection mode. but only UV tilling not offer it. Sometimes it really useful option.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Recent beta versions already count alpha which plug to color in smart material editor. Thanks ^_^

and from projection view,  now it can paint without tilling .

So 1 and 2 already solved.

Then when test new smart material decal, I found  one new thing , then I hope to know how others think,  about current smart material way to circluate alpha. With these change (I believe it improve to easy use alpha include textures like png ), I did not notice before, but at least paint with smart materials, it simply overwrite current layer painted are, with current smart material alpha. 

That means, if I set decal texture (with alpha background)  for smart material color texture,  then try to paint on the layer which already painted,  it remove all color of the layer about background, then simply exchange with smart material alpha.  What I expect is, when I paint with smart material, it not simply exchange painted area, but count alpha, then mix with (layered over) with use smart material color texture alpha,

eg  Now I paint one surface with light blue on layer 1.

I hope to use it as base color of the layer.. then I  plan to add decal (which include alpha for background) smart material.  or add some  tatoos  which modulate with current forground color.  But current smart material not layer over the tatoo,  it exchange all color of the layer with  alpha, so it change the red base as  transparent around tatoo when Paint. (so you may see, Tatoo is colored, but non tatoo area are turn as transparent.  To avoid it, I need to set new layer, then only use one decal material for each layer. then need to use mix layer options with base, or other tatoo layers.

it may not problem, if I only add one decal with one smart material, but if I hope to use same tatoo (smart material), with change modulate color, or scale, or position, then  paint 10 different scale (transform), color tatoos, on the body, I need to make 10 layers.  it is not welcom..

I hope someone test it, and hope to know how others think. Then if you can agree, smart material may better which can layer over with alpha. (so we need not make new layer, but keep on same layer, then just exchange scale, rotation ,color etc) , hope you rrequest it too.

Edited by tokikake
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...