3DCoat Forums

[Solved] More on Dent / More on Bumped Problems

johan21

Hi folks

I really enjoy using the 'More on concave' and 'More on convex' settings in the paint room to paint based upon curvature.

I had created some detailed normal mapping in the paint room and expected 'More on dent' / 'More on bumped' to work in a similar way. However, instead, on my sample pic shown:

- More on bumped is not doing anything at all. I'd expect it to paint more on the 'raised' bits of my normal map.

- More on dent is working kind of as expected on the left hand side of my image as shown in pink (painting in the lower part of the normal map). However I try the same on the right hand side of the image and it does nothing. It's really random, as if there is something different about my normal map in different areas that I can't see....

Help!

Capture.JPG

Hello

Some random symmetry issues was fixed on latest version 4.9.66

_____

Thanks - unfortunately this is not a symmetry issue, in my pic the only symmetry plane runs down the centre of the face as you would expect.

It feels like I don't understand something about how normal maps work. I only see 'high spots' and 'low spots'. But 3d coat seems to think some high spots are higher than others, and some low spots and lower than others ?!?!

I didn't think there was 'displacement' separate from 'normals' but maybe I've missed something fundamental.

I am also on latest stable release FYI.

Edited by johan21

8 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Your model have UVs... and UV islands keep same pixel density ?

If UV islands are not uniform, normal paint can differ, sure.

Hi - yes, see pic below to prove it! I have created UV's and baked. However, instead of baking on normal details, I have added them as a paint layer.

The discrepancy is actually occurring within the one island (aqua blue).

So here is what I know: I have tried using the 'Height Adjustment Tool' in the paint room, and this is affecting how "More on Dent / More on Bumped" behaves. If I raise the "height", then "more on bumped' starts to work more. If I lower it, then "more on bumped starts to work less, or not at all".

So it seems like 3d coat uses a height map as well as a normal map but I can't see this height map!!!!

UV.JPG

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] More on Dent / More on Bumped Problems
On 11/25/2011 at 3:52 PM, kirkl said:

I found it actually works , just a bit different way than before. I used to pick height scale with "v" button and with negative value it works in dents only. Now it works in dents only with zero scale value of "less in heights". With negative values it doesn't paint anything, with positive - paints over both dents and flat surface. So it appears a bit confusing. Beside the preview (conditions) window doesn't work in per pixel mode ( it works ok in microvertex mode). Would be great to have it fixed.

By the way, Andrew, I am curious why we don't have an option to bake a sculpt into a per pixel mode with a depth info(layer),  vs only a normal map? I would prefer to have the same depth aware painting as it goes into microvertex mode. I feel per pixel mode works better and more smooth somehow.

Would be nice to have an option to chose in between normal map and depth layer baked into per pixel mode.