3DCoat Forums

Yearly Pricing Model?

Rainger

Hello,

I hope I don't come off as rude; I am genuinely concerned about the pricing structure moving forward and I need some clarification.

I have been using the free trial of 3DCoat and I really do like it. I am hoping there is a slight discount on Black Friday so I can purchase the full product. I am a little worried however after reading over the website and reading that the company has decided to go from 3DCoat V4.X to 3DCoat 2021. My concern comes from reading through the official announcement and its comments and not getting a clear answer. Will we have to pay an upgrade fee every year (3DCoat 2022, 2023) even after buying the perpetual license? One of the reasons (NOT THE ONLY REASON) I ended up testing out 3DCoat was that it was less than half the price of equally capable tools like ZBrush and Maya. I worry that if we have to keep opening our wallets every year it may be cheaper to just buy an alternate product that only has a one time fee that is actually cheaper after a few years than something that is cheaper right away but slowly takes significantly more money from you over time if you stick with the latest version of the product.

Thank you,

Rainger

I don't have an official answer but I don't see anything that says you will have to pay every year. The new version is being called 2021 but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be a 2022. Plus you're buying a never-ending perpetual license so after you buy you can keep using it forever. Also keep in mind there are many free updates until the next paid version releases.

Thanks for your interest in 3DCoat 2021, it’s going to be a big release for us, especially that on top of the traditionally strong and improved 3DCoat’s toolset, like sculpting, retopo, UVs etc, we’ll introduce a bunch of new instruments, such as nodes editor, curves, low-poly modeling, new brush engine, strong new renderer and more. All that combined should make 3DCoat an all-in-one solution for any 3D-art needs. 

Now, regarding your question about the release and subsequent upgrades, we’re still having internal discussions, but our thinking is as follows: with the purchase of a permanent license (yes, we will continue to sell permanent licenses which never expire) each user will receive free program updates for a certain period of time. Most logical would be to limit that by 365 days following the date of purchase. Within those 365 days you will have free updates. And for those users who want to continue updating their program, we would charge a small fee to extend that free updates period. We’re considering a fee of 40-45 euros for the latest build with new 12 months of free updates if you purchased more than a year and less than 2 years ago. And for those who purchased over 2 years ago, the latest build with new 12-month free upgrades would cost no more than 89 euros (even if you purchased 5 years ago). Just to be clear, that upgrade fee is optional and it’s fully up to you if and when you want to get those upgrades. 

As 3DCoat’s functionality grows, that fee for program updates is a forced move for us to be able to effectively continue developing and supporting the program. We understand that such a fee may look a negative move, therefore our intention is to introduce a very reasonable fee, which could be acceptable for our clients, yet able to support our continued development. 

Please, let us know your thoughts.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/20/2020 at 8:23 AM, Rainger said:

Hello,

I hope I don't come off as rude; I am genuinely concerned about the pricing structure moving forward and I need some clarification.

I have been using the free trial of 3DCoat and I really do like it. I am hoping there is a slight discount on Black Friday so I can purchase the full product. I am a little worried however after reading over the website and reading that the company has decided to go from 3DCoat V4.X to 3DCoat 2021. My concern comes from reading through the official announcement and its comments and not getting a clear answer. Will we have to pay an upgrade fee every year (3DCoat 2022, 2023) even after buying the perpetual license? One of the reasons (NOT THE ONLY REASON) I ended up testing out 3DCoat was that it was less than half the price of equally capable tools like ZBrush and Maya. I worry that if we have to keep opening our wallets every year it may be cheaper to just buy an alternate product that only has a one time fee that is actually cheaper after a few years than something that is cheaper right away but slowly takes significantly more money from you over time if you stick with the latest version of the product.

Thank you,

Rainger

You have to pay annual upgrade costs for nearly all software you own, to one degree or another. Yes, ZBrush and Blender are exceptions, but with ZBrush, the focus is primarily on Sculpting alone and the upfront, lump sum cost is much more than 3DCoat. So, even if there were an annual upgrade (maintenance) cost of let's say $75, it would take several years to reach that $900 upfront cost in ZBrush, not factoring in the Painting, UV layout and Retopo toolsets.  A more accurate comparison would be between 3DCoat vs ZBrush + Substance Painter (which has a maintenance of $150 per year, IIRC). 

• Reputable Contributor
55 minutes ago, bigsofty said:

Hi,

I have a license for Version 3 Pro, I was lately thinking of updating to Pro 4, how does this affect me? Will my license count from the date I purchased the V4 license update or from V3 original?

It won't matter when, now that you would be within the window of the 2021 Professional license offered as a free upgrade, for current purchases of V4.

• Like 1