3DCoat Forums

Black Friday Amateur

LibitinasArt

23 hours ago, LibitinasArt said:

Will there be no deal for the Amateur, I know it's only $99 but even so , a small reduction would be nice for those of us looking to get into your program. !!

Affinity even have reduction on their $40 items.

We'll have a 10% off on new Amateur licenses purchased within the upcoming Black Friday sales.

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/24/2020 at 8:47 AM, LibitinasArt said:

Sorry , just trying to understand what you're saying. Is the Amateur version finishing (being stopped) when 2021 is released.

and only renting software will be available( no more perpetual licences)

There is no subscription model, just a new Rent to Own OPTION (certain number of monthly payments rather than on lump sum cost upfront)...again, it is an OPTION. Perpetual licenses will still be the main license model.

There is a 10% discount on the Amateur license for the Black Friday deal....however, when 2021 is released, there will be no future versions of the Amateur license, as it has been a terrible business model for Pilgway (too many professionals buying it for retopo, UV's and Voxel modeling/sculpting only, where it had no limitations; only few Paint-related limits). There will only be a Professional license and an Apprentice version (that is much more scaled back on features than the current Amateur license....much like ZBrush core is). Anyone with an Amateur license will be given a short window to upgrade to Professional with a very enticing offer of about 50-60% off the normal upgrade rate. 

Pilgway added a lot of development help in the past 2-3yrs and they needed to adjust their business model accordingly, so they can not only keep the help they have, but have the ability to bring in additional help where it may be needed.

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, LibitinasArt said:

and in just over 18hrs the pro version will be reduced by $100, is that correct as another advert states "now", a little confusing

It's $100USD off the regular price. It's been that way for years, during Black Friday and Christmas deals.

Hello Carlosan, I think there might be a translation/language/cultural misunderstanding, at least for US English speakers.  I do not want to sound pushy, but I think it would be responsible for me to let you know how US citizens are likely to interpret the term "rent to own".  I do not claim that I know exactly how every US citizen thinks, but I believe I can offer a cultural context.

From my personal experience, when we see the term "x to own" it means that, at some time, we will eventually have the product with no more payments and still "own" the product perpetually.   For us, in this context "to own" means we own it perpetually in the future.  I believe you are using "to own" in the sense that we have full unlimited use of the product while we are renting.  In this case, the word "to" is used in 2 different ways.  

A typical use of "x to own" in the USA would be for a car:  We use the phrase "lease to own".  We make payments and while we are paying, the conditions are very much how a normal lease would work here.  However, the "to own" part means that the lease payments are going towards a goal where we will eventually buy the car at a reduced price.  The end point ("to own") is that we own the car forever.  (it might sound like nonsense, there are complicated details I am leaving out.)

Another example: I pay rent for an apartment.  I have full use of the apartment while I pay rent.  We would never use the term "rent to own" in this case.  If we used the term "rent to own" it would mean that after 5 years of paying rent, I would have an option to buy the apartment at a reduced cost.  

I am not perfect but I am trying hard to communicate clearly.  Please let me know if I this makes sense to you.

• Reputable Contributor
18 hours ago, BenR said:

Hello Carlosan, I think there might be a translation/language/cultural misunderstanding, at least for US English speakers.  I do not want to sound pushy, but I think it would be responsible for me to let you know how US citizens are likely to interpret the term "rent to own".  I do not claim that I know exactly how every US citizen thinks, but I believe I can offer a cultural context.

From my personal experience, when we see the term "x to own" it means that, at some time, we will eventually have the product with no more payments and still "own" the product perpetually.   For us, in this context "to own" means we own it perpetually in the future.  I believe you are using "to own" in the sense that we have full unlimited use of the product while we are renting.  In this case, the word "to" is used in 2 different ways.  

A typical use of "x to own" in the USA would be for a car:  We use the phrase "lease to own".  We make payments and while we are paying, the conditions are very much how a normal lease would work here.  However, the "to own" part means that the lease payments are going towards a goal where we will eventually buy the car at a reduced price.  The end point ("to own") is that we own the car forever.  (it might sound like nonsense, there are complicated details I am leaving out.)

Another example: I pay rent for an apartment.  I have full use of the apartment while I pay rent.  We would never use the term "rent to own" in this case.  If we used the term "rent to own" it would mean that after 5 years of paying rent, I would have an option to buy the apartment at a reduced cost.  

I am not perfect but I am trying hard to communicate clearly.  Please let me know if I this makes sense to you.

Rent to Own is a common English term, this coming from a US citizen, native English speaker, all my life. Is it normally associated with household commodities? Sure, but it accurately describes what is being offered. I may not particularly like the phrase, but I personally cannot think of a better alternative. People understand exactly what is being offered. VRay, a premiere render engine, has RENTAL licenses, as do many other software vendors. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with the phrase being used to describe payments to own a perpetual license.

Please tell me what "rent to own" means then?  Because I don't see that in the link provided.

Edit: this link here: https://3dcoat.com/2021announcement/

(also, you are just a user and not a 3dcoat representative, correct?)

Edit: and also, please read my original message:

"Sorry, this is the first time I've seen "rent to own" being mentioned, I thought they were just going to a subscription model.  I know things change quickly while forum posts stay the same.  Was this a recent announcement?"

Edited by BenR

What is the difference between a subscription, rent-to-own and permanent license ?

Permanent means that the license never expires and you can use it as long as you wish. For example, once you purchase 3DCoat 2021 Individual permanent license, you can continue using it for many years on without any further payments.

Subscription-based license means you continue using the program as long as your subscription is active. Choose between monthly, quarterly subscription or year-rent plans. Subscription is an effective way to get access to the program when you need it, while saving money on your license. With the subscription-based license, your program is always up-to-date as you receive access to the latest available updates.

Rent-to-own is unique plan providing the benefits of both subscription-based and permanent licenses. With rent-to-own you start on a subscription-based plan, but every payment you make is an installment to buy out your permanent license. Please, check the license description to find out how many installments need to be made to buy out the license. With the last installment made you will receive your permanent license serial key and 12 months of free updates from that date, which is yet another advantage of the rent-to-own option. That all makes Rent-to-own an excellent choice for those who target to obtain a permanent license, but not ready to pay for it at once.

Any other question please contact sales@3dcoat.com

Thx

• Advanced Member
  • The upgrade from the current V4 or earlier license to 3DCoat 2021 will be a paid one. We plan to offer upgrade discounts, depending on the time of your license purchase.
  • Given no technical and commercial restrictions, the price of the 3DCoat 2021 Individual license will be slightly higher than that of the current V4 Professional license.
  • 3DCoat 2021 Individual and 3DCoat 2021 Company will have not only the one-time purchase option, but also Monthly and Quarterly subscription as well as Rent-for-1-year options.

Any news on the upgrade from V4 to 2021? No price yet on upgrades?
    I am also interested in the rent to own option. Same as Substance I assume before they we bought by Adobe. 

• Advanced Member

Hope my simple math didnt fail me. If this "rent to own" (one year) is lower than the upgrade price for the frequency of the upgrades (if that is higher than the usual version 3-4 or 4 to 2021), it makes no economical sense for upgrade price for current users.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, pickers said:

Hope my simple math didnt fail me. If this "rent to own" (one year) is lower than the upgrade price for the frequency of the upgrades (if that is higher than the usual version 3-4 or 4 to 2021), it makes no economical sense for upgrade price for current users.

Probably the same price. Why make it lower?

If the price of the upgrade is 100usd, then its just divisible by 12 months for the rent to own. Some people may want to pay upfront to support Andrew immediately. Some might want to pay the monthly dues until they reach 12 months payable. Its good for those people who A. Don't have the upfront cash but wants to own a legit license B. Don't intend to use wip 3dc 2021 right away.

• Reputable Contributor
36 minutes ago, geo_n said:

Probably the same price. Why make it lower?

If the price of the upgrade is 100usd, then its just divisible by 12 months for the rent to own. Some people may want to pay upfront to support Andrew immediately. Some might want to pay the monthly dues until they reach 12 months payable. Its good for those people who A. Don't have the upfront cash but wants to own a legit license B. Don't intend to use wip 3dc 2021 right away.

It's my understanding that the "Rent to Own" option is for a new license (no more Pro or Amateur versions), not for upgrades. We should expect the upgrade from V3 or V4 to 2021 will be close to the upgrade cost between major versions in the past (ie., V3, V4). The annual upgrade price (ie. 2021 to 2022) will probably be roughly half that. Pilgway is a very fair company. That much one can count on.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 12/2/2020 at 2:31 AM, geo_n said:

Ah I see. Would like to know asap before I spend all my money this holidays. Lol. Let people allocate the cash now. 

If you need more confirmation, feel free to contact sales@3dcoat.com, where Stas will help answer whatever questions you may have.