3DCoat Forums

Mac chat - any info about 3DCoats' performance on any new M1 machine ? - thx!

erb

Hi everyone, this is mainly about #2 below.. but #1 is good for context.

1: I have planned to make a video of performance for 3DCoat on an i3 & i5 Mac with an iGPU.  I mentioned this earlier this year and have yet to do complete the video.  I'll get to it before too long!
**In case you're curious why; because 3DCoat performed well above expectations on my Mac Air from 2010  and I want to share any Mac-iGPU-performance info with people as there was almost-nothing to read about 3DCoat on Macs with iGPU.  #Knowledge Is good.
//The Mac Air from 2010 has an Nvidia GT320.  - I suppose that I expect similar performance from the 8th gen iGPU in the mac I'll be testing and we'll see..hopefully sometime this month!

2: Now that the M1 macs are released, I am curious about the performance of 3DCoat on any of the M1 machines.  I do not have an M1 to test.  So if someone has tested an M1, it would be nice to hear about your opinion of performance.

- Thx
Enjoy your week.

Edited by erb
correct error

• 1 month later...

1. Thanks for sharing. I had tested "3DCoat" on my old iMac (CPU i3 3.06 GHz, RAM 8 GB, GPU Radeon HD 4670, VRAM 256 MB) and "3DCoat" allows painting texture with resolution up to 2K and sculpting up to 2 million triangles with comfort performance (about and above 30 FPS).
2. We don't have a Mac with an M1 processor yet. But "3DCoat" uses proprietary Intel libraries for some functions (Sculpt > AUTOPO, Retopo > UV > Mark Seams > Selected > To ABF/GU/LSCM/Planar). Probably those functions will fail on M1.

Are you running the App directly or through Rosetta ?
I'd be curious how the mentioned intel based functions perform through Mac's Rosetta or if they just work.

I bought a new Mac this Summer.. it mostly sits gathering dust due to the underwhelming performance and heat it generates. I was thinking about selling it and buying an M1 Mac.. *shrug* IDK.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

@SERGYI As this thread is more than a year old: how is 3DC 2022 performing on macOS? Does everything work?

And is there a chance Apple Silicon / M1 chips / Metal will be natively supported for more Mac power utilization?

Thanks.

Edited by Metin Seven

I have an M1 Mac Air, I can load Sergyi's linked build if anyone has any specific questions for me to test.

@Metin Seven

Q: "And is there a chance Apple Silicon / M1 chips / Metal will be natively supported for more Mac power utilization?"
A: While I can not provide an answer, I feel I should mention that the Dev Team is in Ukraine.  I think about them and Ukraine each day.

Edited by erb
condensed and clarified
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

@erb Any reports about 3DCoat's overall performance on an M1 would be much appreciated, particularly in the Sculpt Room, thanks.

And I also think about the 3DC developers a lot, and really hope and wish they will remain alright in these crazy times. War is madness.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I forgot to reply, my apologies to you.
Overall, it feels good. (using latest version on M1 Mac Air)
Without a specific context, I can only provide a general overview..

As long as you keep your detail work on the resolution levels that are generally expected ..  (AKA: don't try to sculpt a human from a 20million sphere).
• An object with:
<5 mil range = good
10 mil range = performance might hiccup on certain things like large radius brushes doing complex operations. Cuts can take a couple/few seconds.
15 mil range = a smaller radius brush feels good, a larger radius brush will hiccup. Cuts start to feel heavy.
20 mil+ range = stick to adding fine / small details. Resampling to 20mil range takes < 20 seconds avg. Cuts take  <20 seconds.

• Multiple objects of 3-5 million each seems fine. Hide whatever you're not working on.. etc.

..Please remember that this is extremely generalized.
IMO, the performance is good.

• 7 months later...

I so badly want 3DCoat and 3DCoat Textura to work on my Macs, but as of my recent testing, it's not possible to work on any production level models. Even 3DCoat Textura struggled with the most basic of models. The app frequently became unresponsive and had to be force terminated. I hope this can change in the future as many of us Mac users would love an alternative to Adobe/Substance. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by DannyBCreative

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hey @DannyBCreative

May I ask what are the specs of your Mac and what version of 3DC were you using?

I"m also curious about performance on the newer Macs.  It's 3DC's Mac versions I'm also concerned about.  Compared to the Windows version, the Mac version always seems to have strange little "surprises".

• 6 months later...

Hello, 

Just upgraded to 3D Coat 2023 after seeing MacOS ARM support being added. when I open the 2023.29, I get the error: (0,0) : ERR : Invalid configuration. Verify the registered application interface. No interface loads and the error repeatedly pops up if I click around. I'm on a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with Ventura 13.5.2. (I've also sent an email to support with screen shots.) 

Edited by David McEachern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the feedback. I have uploaded "3DCoat 2023.31" for macOS:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/links-macOS.html
The build is for Intel (not Universal). Here is the reason. I have bought a Mac mini M1 and investigated the cause of the issues you have encountered. It turned out that the "AngelScript" library does not support the native calling of functions and methods on the Apple M1 chip. "3DCoat" is heavily dependent on the "AngelScript". All functions and methods (thousands and thousands of them) are registered in "3DCoat" in a way that counts on the native calling of functions and methods. We will discuss this situation at the meetings to understand what we can do with this problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...