3DCoat Forums

Using stencils in UV mapping mode to surface sculpt?

Callak

• Advanced Member

I've been trying to use a repeating tial scale stencil to create scales on a dragon, I can get them to work in the projection modes, but I can never make them look very contiguous across the surface of the model in any of the non UV projection modes.   When I use the UV mapped mode, and I change the scale of the stencil, it shows me exactly where I want the stencil to lie mapped nicely across the paint room object.   But when I actually go to try to sculpt it in the sculpt room, all I get is a rough sandy output that doesn't seem to match the stencil showing on the paint object.  Is there a video that shows how to use stencils in UV mode?   I did find videos on how to use the projected ones, but those don't seem to cover UV mode at all.

Edited by Callak

• Advanced Member

Yes that is the video I looked at.  Well dang, I guess that explains why it doesn't work.   Is there any video you can think of that shows a good way to sculpt an ongoing contiguous pattern, like scales across a complex character then?   Every time I try to use the projection methods, I end up making it very muddy in places where one part of my painting meets another part.   I was hoping using UVs for sculpting would reduce a patchy looking result due to me not getting the scale of the stencil to match the patch right next to it very well.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 11.37.38.png

Edited by Callak
Added a screen shot

• Advanced Member

Ok, no, that was not really what I was trying to do, but the end goal was to make a detailed Normal map anyway, and I've discovered I was going about it all wrong.   Thought I needed to create the detail in 3D like I would in blender, and then bake it to a normal map.   The good news is, 3DCoat can just paint a normal map!  And, stencils do work in UV Map mode in the paint room.   But here is a problem I have over and over.   Stencil size.   Is there any way to save a stencil size and recall it?  For one, I keep working on painting my work close up, and then trying to manipulate the project, and accidently changing the stencil size because the stencil dialog is up.   It would be nice if there was a way to manipulate the project with the stencil dialog up, instead of having to close it every time I want to move the project around.   Second,   I'm going to want to use different stencil sizes for different parts of the project, but it's very difficult to get the sizes to match up again if I want to return to paint regions I had already worked on.   Would you have any advice for me about this?  Edit: Fixed the manipulation problem, just hold Alt.  :p

Edited by Callak