3DCoat Forums

Overlapping Objects Paint Issues

Beth

Hi, I'm working on my first model in 3d coat and i'm to the point where i'm in the paint room. I did the retopo, seams, and unwrapped the uv. Then I baked with normal maps and went to the paint room. My model definitely has a lot of flaws but I am stuck on something that is unclear why it's happening. My model has had different objects all on different layers in the paint room and some of the objects overlap. 

I have a layer for the head and a layer for the ears. When I try to fill in the color for the head, where the ears overlap, it paints it a lighter color. I can fill in the head with a color using the bucket tool and when I go to hide the ears layer in the paint objects tab, i'm left with a circle of a different color where the ears are supposed to be. What is happening here? I attached some pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/5MBLiN8

Any explanation would be a huge help. Thank you!

• Advanced Member

This is all too complicated isnt it?

I think Ive had this as well. A simple fix for now if you want to paint the head all the same colour is to select the ear layer then paint the head ,because I think that bit of head is actually part of the ear layer. Then maybe merge the layers together. Or check the UVs and move them if you have more than one set. You can select UVs and put them on another .

Sorry Im even confusing myself now.

On a personal level I try and avoid all these shannanigans by just vertex painting.

Other than that Ive got nothing else to offer Im afraid.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I get confused quite a bit but seem to find a way eventually! Ok it makes sense this spot is on the ear layer for some reason.. Few more questions: Are there any downsides to painting on the ear layer for the head? I thought maybe I needed to keep the paint layers separate. My UVs are all laid separated out, I thought I should avoid overlapping? Is vertex painting a different type of bake?

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

I dont know about downsides ,when you export your model wherever, I think all the layers get merged anyway.Maybe try merging those two layers now and see what happens.

Everything is dependant on what the model is to be ultimately used for as an end product. Is it for a game character? Or is it just for a still image picture?

Vertex painting is what I do 95 percent of the time. No baking involved, thats the beauty of it. It has a few downsides but for me there are more upsides that cancel them out.

All that it is you do ...sculpt your model go the paint room and paint it....your done! No messing around with UVs or unwrapping. Its just that your model will be millions of polygons and may be unwieldy for your destination.

As each vertex of your model can be coloured the more polys you have the neater your paint looks.

If you are just starting to do this stuff its an easier "in" than all that uv mularky. Seeing quick results will be more inspiring,then you can slowly build up your knowledge about the other stuff.

Take a look at my Artstation page ( signature below) thats 95 percent vertex paint rendered in Blender. I can get about 20million polys into Blender, but seldom go above 10.

Edited by stusutcliffe

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm going to experiment on this with merging and see what happens. I honestly didn't have an end goal for this, I just wanted to make something from start to finish. I actually sculpted it in zbrush and then I brought it into 3d coat. The model doesn't show up in the paint room when I do that, so I went to using UVs. I have tried vertex painting in zbrush but it just didn't get the detail I wanted and when I added more polys, it was just getting slower and slower eventually I gave up and threw it into 3d coat to do retopo, etc.

Your artstation page looks incredible! I love the style and It's nice to see what you can do with vertex paint and blender. Maybe 3d coat vertex painter does better with all a high poly count?

Thanks again!

• Advanced Member

mmm, thats a mystery it not showing up in paint.  

Just as an exercise just make sphere and try painting that, then slowly increas the polys and see how far you get! Its best to use a pbr shader as the matcap doesnt show the true colours.

And make your model surface not voxels.

Yes I think zbrush is clunky with big objects .  Its as jerky as heck when I use it . And I think you have to jump thru hoops to get a nice render. 3dcoat stay smooth until its gone way beyond my needs

I think it is because zbrush uses the main computer chip to do the donkey work, where as 3dcoat use the graphic card a bit like a game would. So the more video ram the better.

One more thing I have just spotted on your images which might have an influence.. I see you have the paint bucket tool selected.... If you look near the top of the image you will see the opacity is set to 93% when it should be 100%!

Now I think this is a massive bug because I get this all the time, it seems to default to 93 for whatever reason. Mighty anoying and I have mentioned it before but its still there.