3DCoat Forums

Does someone know of a technique to import a terrain that has a slope to it and buildings and vertical details etc. but add thickness not along the normal using inner or outer thickness but along a negative Z axis only.  So you could make a skirt for the terrain and 3d print in 1 go.  I've messed with making a large volume and trying to intersect the two volumes to get just a fill under the terrain but it's not as easy as it seems.  Any idears?

Much appreciated!

Jason

Edited by co3Darts

Hi

This tutorial shows how to create a mesh from a black and white height map & colour texture if you have it, retopo it and paint on textures, colours and fine bump details etc.

That's helpful.  I can generate a depth map and go that route but his map/terrain is fairly simple.  I am hoping to use the high density Ariel mesh I've been provided that has vertical elements like building walls etc. (not allowed to post pics :( ) I'd like to just give it thickness.  I'm just using extrude in bottom view of orthographic a few times with ignore backfaces off.  Then duplicating the vox layers and merging till I get the thickness required.  Thanks Carlos.

May be this video help ?