3DCoat Forums

Advice for new computer build

Kargall

• Advanced Member

Hello,

my motherboard is dead, i need to change processor and motherboard and ram.
3D Coat is my main sketching design tool, I would like to know if 3D coat reacts better to one brand than another.
AMD or intel?
More RAM or more powerful processor?
Do you have any specific advice, recommendations, warnings for working with 3dcoat?
Obviously I keep my RTX 2060 Super

Thank you

• Carlosan changed the title to Advice for new computer material

Hi Kargall 

Sorry for not responding, but I have no information due to the release of the new version.

It would be important to know the future computer specs requirements needed to run version 2021.

Please contact support@3dcoat.com asking for your needs.

Thanks.

SysReq.thumb.jpg.ccce826d7b44ec1280dd9b9c270e2839.jpg

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Hi Kargall 

Sorry for not responding, but I have no information due to the release of the new version. 

It would be important to know the future computer specs needed to run version 2021.

Please contact support@3dcoat.com asking for your needs.

Thanks. 

Thanks for your response Carlosan.

• Advanced Member

For working it is always better CPU what have high performance in single thread, so look test and take high frequency cpu. AMD is good choice but new CPU may be expansive, and their performance depend of RAM speed. But Intel do not have dependency of RAM speed and they drop prices now.
For rendering vice versa you need more cores what is faster in full load. 32gb is minimum in nowadays for work

• Carlosan changed the title to Advice for new computer build
  • Reputable Contributor
On 2/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, Kargall said:

Hello,

my motherboard is dead, i need to change processor and motherboard and ram.
3D Coat is my main sketching design tool, I would like to know if 3D coat reacts better to one brand than another.
AMD or intel?
More RAM or more powerful processor?
Do you have any specific advice, recommendations, warnings for working with 3dcoat?

Thank you

I don't know if you have already bought new parts and put your new build together, but if you haven't done so, yet, I think I would have to recommend Intel CPU's at the moment, because 3DCoat uses Intel's Thread Building Blocks Library for Multi-threading tasks, and that means it is going to be highly optimized for Intel CPU's...and not  optimized for AMD. AMD sued Intel and won, over this and other coercive Business practices by Intel. Overall, the new generation of AMD CPU's are the best value and best performing, overall...when you consider 3D Rendering, Video Editing, Compositing, etc....and I think the IPC (Instructions Per Clock Cycle) improvements in the latest generation of AMD Ryzen CPU's will likely help it overcome sneaky and dirty software tricks (making Intel compilers work less efficiently with non-Intel CPU's), because I tested the new sculpting brush engine on the 1st Gen ThreadRipper (1950X) I had and on someone's new AMD laptop (with a Ryzen 7 4800H 8-core/16thread CPU) and the new laptop performance was much more lively and robust than the ThreadRipper. It probably has higher IPC than the 1st Gen ThreadRipper, and likely has new instruction sets that overcome the limitations Intel imposed in their Multi-Threading compilers (which many software applications use).

So, I think if you can get your hands on something like an AMD 5900X or 5950X, it would be a stellar performer in 3DCoat, just like the Intel 10900k is.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I can confirm @AbnRanger  's tips: the new AMD Ryzen 9 5950X gives you a very good portion of power when needed. Don't forget to use at least 64 GB of RAM and - very important - a fast Nvidia graphics card. Why Nvidia? Simple: Most software uses their instructions. ;) I recommend you to buy the RTX 3080 or 3090 in terms of enough raw power and video memory. If you can afford it - the 3090 is your partner. But the problem today is the availability. To get one of these cards can be very hard.

Btw. I use the mentioned Ryzen 9 5950X for myself. So I know what I'm speaking about. The single core power is good or very good, the multi core power is extremly good - it's notable when you work with many apps at the same time. :D

Cheers
Tom

Edited by Artomiano
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 2:27 AM, Kargall said:

It's not especially because of 3DCoat - but I own a RTX2080 - and ... the performance is still sufficient. Still! One example: I work with world creator - a gpu based terrain creation system. The graphics card reaches its limits pretty quickly. When 3DCoat comes with more gpu based acceleration too ... maybe we will see some interesting things. ;) That's why I recommended you the new 3xxx generation of Nvidias graphics cards.

Edited by Artomiano

• Advanced Member

Hi friends,

Thank you for your very relevant comments. It is unfortunate for me that I could not have read the last comments earlier, I probably would not have made the same choices.
My workstation is now set up, 3Dcoat seems to be working properly, and that didn't work for me.
For your information, here is my new configuration:
Ryzen7 3700x -- Nvidia RTX 2060 Super -- 32GB RAM.

Thank you all.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Kargall said:

Hi friends,

Thank you for your very relevant comments. It is unfortunate for me that I could not have read the last comments earlier, I probably would not have made the same choices.
My workstation is now set up, 3Dcoat seems to be working properly, and that didn't work for me.
For your information, here is my new configuration:
Ryzen7 3700x -- Nvidia RTX 2060 Super -- 32GB RAM.

Thank you all.

If I remember correctly, the Ryzen 7 3000 series had a major boost in IPC, as well as some other improvements in CPU architecture. So, I would expect performance in 3DCoat to still be very robust, regardless. With the new brush engine, though, I noticed a tiny bit of lag (barely perceivable most of the time, but noticeable when comparing side by side to ZBrush) on the 1st Gen ThreadRipper...where raw core count isn't quite as important. IPC and core speed are probably the difference between Zen 1, 1.5, and Zen 2 architectures.

The Paint Room should have a new GPU brush engine (PPP mode), so CPU performance will matter more in the Sculpt Room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

If I remember correctly, the Ryzen 7 3000 series had a major boost in IPC, as well as some other improvements in CPU architecture. So, I would expect performance in 3DCoat to still be very robust, regardless. With the new brush engine, though, I noticed a tiny bit of lag (barely perceivable most of the time, but noticeable when comparing side by side to ZBrush) on the 1st Gen ThreadRipper...where raw core count isn't quite as important. IPC and core speed are probably the difference between Zen 1, 1.5, and Zen 2 architectures.

The Paint Room should have a new GPU brush engine (PPP mode), so CPU performance will matter more in the Sculpt Room.

Are you speaking about 3DCoat 4.9.x or 2021? Unfortunately I can not test it ... didn't have such complex models (> 1 Mio.). But if you're interest in, you could PM me. Because of the latest improvement of Ryzen 5000's IPC (about 15-20%) I would guess more smoothness in sculpting.

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, Artomiano said:

Are you speaking about 3DCoat 4.9.x or 2021? Unfortunately I can not test it ... didn't have such complex models (> 1 Mio.). But if you're interest in, you could PM me. Because of the latest improvement of Ryzen 5000's IPC (about 15-20%) I would guess more smoothness in sculpting.

Well, it applies to 3DCoat in general, but I am referring to the new brush engine (closed Beta) for 3DCoat 2021. It has a lot more options and allows the user to add modifiers (like an additional Pinch, Relax, etc) on top of a standard Surface mode brush. I think the improvements in AMD's architecture (higher clock speeds and IPC improvements) probably overcome the INTEL TBB (Thread Building Blocks) Library, issue 3DCoat uses for multi-threading...which was optimized for Intel CPU's and made AMD CPU's less efficient.

Testing it on an AMD laptop (Ryzen 7 4800H 8/Core-16thread CPU) seemed to confirm that newer AMD CPU's don't suffer from this issue.