3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Save to STL 3dc 4.8 vs 4.9

supereasy1001

I am trying to save a sculpt out as an STL file for printing.  I'm working off of an 11mil triangle sculpt. When I save to STL from 3dcoat 4.9.67  it spins its wheels for like 30 minutes and is using 94% of the CPU. Eventually I force quit with no STL file being saved. When I attempt the same thing in 3dcoat 4.8.25 it spins its wheels, but is only using 17% of the CPU. So far neither result in a successful save.

Any idea why the difference in CPU usage? And am i just making a mistake by trying to save to STL from an 11 mil sculpt?

Viking_WIP13.png

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Save to STL 3dc 4.8 vs 4.9

Yes, I can. I'm using pursa slicer to resize, correct orientation, and then export it as an STL.

But when I export it as an obj it shows these numerous tiny random holes in the mesh. and it is so polygon dense that loading that mesh and then trying to fix those holes is nearly impossible. It also loses a degree of resolution when converted to polygons.

my last attempted this after spending all day testing different exports, was too thicken the sculpt by 1.5. then export it as an obj.

This appeared to eliminate the holes, but converting obj still appears to cause a loss of resolution.

I have a bunch of sculpts like the one I posted that I've done in the last few weeks, but I'm stuck until I can find a version of three coat that actually exports an STL correctly.

Or for that matter any sort of step by step tutorial on getting a sculpt exported as an stl. I haven't been able to find one, and I might simply be missing something that I need to do in the process, like does it need to be in voxel mode versus surface mode? Things like that. At the moment I am switching it to surface mode.

thanks very much for taking the time to follow up.

I have used that that command and it says that the mesh has no holes.

I've also exported other much lower resolution sculpts, not the basic meshes included in the package, but other measures and not been able to get an STL export.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Save to STL 3dc 4.8 vs 4.9