3DCoat Forums

How to use a stencil to paint an organic, continuous flowing texture on a surface?

Callak

• Advanced Member

One thing I have had a continued issue understanding is how you paint a neat continuously flowing texture onto an organic surface, attached is similar to what I mean.  This image was created in blender by creating a flat repeating texture, and then taking a copy the original UV unwrap, stitching it back together, and distorting parts of it to get the texture to shrink or grow in scale where smaller scales or larger ones need to be, this created a nice flow to the texture that looks like natural scales, this obviously created a lot of overlaps and a really bizarre looking UV map, but it works for getting the texture to flow around the body.  I thought there might be a way in 3D coat to make the stencil use this UV for it's lay out while paint to the original UV map.  However, 3D coat didn't like it at all, and basically re automapped the whole thing.  So, if I can't do that, really I wonder what use the UV map mode of the stencils are?  Also if I can't do it this way, how do you get this kind of result in 3D coat without using a custom UV map just for the stencils?  Every time I try to use the stencils to paint a scale pattern, no matter what kind of other mode I use, I can't get it to flow together nicely, I end up with various sized splotches and muddy mixes.

Screenshot 2021-02-23 06.11.15.png

Screenshot 2021-02-23 06.54.21.png

Edited by Callak

• Advanced Member

Well I did manage to import the distorted map, I just had it too big, and had to force it the first time in the import settings, however, it took too long because of the size, so I shrank down the imported UV map..... now the question is....  Can I use two UV Maps?   One just for the stencils and one for the painting of the texture?

Screenshot 2021-02-23 12.48.19.png

Edited by Callak

• Advanced Member

Hmm, if I clean up the overlaps, I'm going to loose much of the flow of the texture over the body, not only that, but this model is made up of several different materials, each with their own set of UV maps and textures assigned to them so they will work on the end platform I'm making this for ( Second Life ).   It's obvious that my method here for accomplishing a flowing organic looking texture across the body is not going to work at least in 3D Coat.  And I feel like there is no way this could have been overlooked in the development of 3D coat, so I was hoping, or wondering if there was a completely different workflow I can examine to make it look this good.  I've seen several videos now on painting in a general area, but none on making a flowing texture without seams.  Problem is that if I try to use a stencil in UV mode with properly laid out UV maps, I'm going to have seams all over the place, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to make the stencils flow into finer or larger scale throughout the body, without stopping adjusting the scale by hand, and then painting it again, and then somehow editing it so the different size sections meet up and look natural.

Screenshot 2021-02-23 16.36.39.png

Edited by Callak