3DCoat Forums

2021 Smart retopo tool

mash

Hi, I was watching the video on the 2021 smart retopo tool. The one with the horse being retopologized.
When drawing the curves does the curve always snap to the surface? Or can it be moved after being drawn?

I was thinking it would be a useful way of making clothing. Imagine your making a long coat.

It's not going to be form fitting. Would that be a function of the spline tool or the new poly tools?

Looking forward to the release 

thank you,.

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure what the smart retopo tool actually is yet , Ive not had a look. But generally in retopo you can lift the polys off the surface, I think there is a snap to button to check/uncheck. I frequently do this. I construct things in retopo, usually capes and sleeves then bring them in the sculpt area via the Cloth tool and do a simple simulation .You can get some nice folds and hangs. 

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

stusutcliffe was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

That looks cool. I can see the 'autosnap' button at the top, so I assume if you switch that off you can lift the polys from the surface and form 'clothes' but I would not know if you could draw them lines in mid air so to speak. But it is usually easy enough to drag the polys where you want them. I keep them at a low count because there is less to move about then just subdivide,when you get nearer the shape you require.

( the new poly modelling thingy might be useful for clothes and stuff, we shall see. Because I think retopo is just basic poly modelling anyway.)