3DCoat Forums

New 3DC logo?

AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

All logos look flat. There's no depth to the design of the letters like a paper cutout or shaded previs anim. I think for some people they would read it as 3DOC. Maybe try the ball logo with smaller letters placed at different areas in/out the logo to make it more interesting.

• Reputable Contributor
All logos look flat. There's no depth to the design of the letters like a paper cutout or shaded previs anim. I think for some people they would read it as 3DOC. Maybe try the ball logo with smaller letters placed at different areas in/out the logo to make it more interesting.

The text is flat for a reason. Graphic Design 101..."Oftentimes Less (clean and simple) is More." Just like the ZBrush logo...the focus is on the trademark, in this case the coated ball. It has "depth."

http://www.pixologic.com/store/images/z3productshot.jpg

I think the main part of SW logo must be square shaped (all your logos are markedly rectangular) - just because all the icons are squares and icons are the most important places, where will logo be.

Then it can be very simple, 3ds max, Maya, XSI, they all have very simple logos, Maya has special logotype, but max is simple in all ways. You don't have to include picture into text.

Your logos can be used for web or splashscreen, but these are not so important things for beggining.

post-758-1241249843_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Thought I would spend some time creating a logo that allows Andrew to keep the name and trademark, yet with a bit more marketable look

What say ye, gents? Yeah or Nay? And if Yeah, which version?

Wow dude thats awesome! i love the second and third one!! One crit, would it be possible to separate abit of the 3 and D, where they meet? Also instead of the sphere have you thought about a square or cube?

post-564-1241250318_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
The text is flat for a reason. Graphic Design 101..."Oftentimes Less (clean and simple) is More." Just like the ZBrush logo...the focus is on the trademark, in this case the coated ball. It has "depth."

http://www.pixologic.com/store/images/z3productshot.jpg

Actually the zbrush logo is better than that with depth

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/tti...rush_logo_2.jpg

I think the logo doesn't have to be 3dc integrated into the logo. Look at max, newtek, mudbox, etc. A graphic symbol is the most integral part of the design not the letters. So it is Andrews call in the end what graphic icon to represent his product.

• Reputable Contributor

If you guys remember Andrew stated that he preferred to keep the name and trademark...because it was a lengthy and costly effort...that's why I tried to stay within those confines. The text "ZBRUSH" is also flat, with the trademark being the primary element and the one with depth. In that regard, this design is no different. In fact, I didn't copy that concept...I simply followed the K.I.S.S. method of design, and after the issue was raised that it was too flat, I went over to Pixologic's site to see how they did theirs. Same KISS method.

Also, just because Autodesk chose a given style, doesn't mean it needs to be copied (square).

There is no hard 'n' fast rule about logo shape in the graphic design industry. It should just follow simple design principles, which this one does...one of which is, making the text have depth too, would make it a bit too busy (text competing with the trademark).

On his website header, Andrew can do a full 3D treatment with studio lighting, but the primary logo should stay rather simple.

• Advanced Member
If you guys remember Andrew stated that he preferred to keep the name and trademark...because it was a lengthy and costly effort...that's why I tried to stay within those confines. The text "ZBRUSH" is also flat, with the trademark being the primary element and the one with depth. In that regard, this design is no different. In fact, I didn't copy that concept...I simply followed the K.I.S.S. method of design, and after the issue was raised that it was too flat, I went over to Pixologic's site to see how they did theirs. Same KISS method.

Also, just because Autodesk chose a given style, doesn't mean it needs to be copied (square).

There is no hard 'n' fast rule about logo shape in the graphic design industry. It should just follow simple design principles, which this one does...one of which is, making the text have depth too, would make it a bit too busy (text competing with the trademark).

On his website header, Andrew can do a full 3D treatment with studio lighting, but the primary logo should stay rather simple.

But the difference is you chose to integrate/infuse the letters with the graphic icon which makes it rather flat,confusing and it reads like 3DOC. Its ok to make it simple but they do follow a guideline beyond graphic design 101. There's some books on corporate logo design you can read or buy.

See the difference. The text is not being forced on the logo.

LightWave_Graphic_B-small.jpg

logo_xsi.gif

ModoLogo.png

Pixologic_Logo_2.jpg

microsoft.jpg

ipod_shuffle_2.jpg

Hth

• Reputable Contributor
But the difference is you chose to integrate/infuse the letters with the graphic icon which makes it rather flat,confusing and it reads like 3DOC. Its ok to make it simple but they do follow a guideline beyond graphic design 101. There's some books on corporate logo design you can read or buy.

There are two versions that do not (in fact one of the first things I tried was placing the trademark in various locations around the text and it doesn't seem to lend itself to a design that keeps them separated)...nevertheless, nothing is being forced or infused. Being constrained with the current trademark, I had limited options and WANTED to keep the text FLAT to avoid making the whole logo appear too busy.

If Andrew wants it separate, that's fine. That's why I provided different versions... feel free to do your own, but spare me the patronizing remark about needing to buy a logo book. I think I know a thing or two about the subject.

Hth

QFTA. (Quoted For Total Agreement)

That's what I thought right after the first one. 3DOC. Not that the design is bad, I would say that is very attractive and impressive, but still I wouldn't go with this one. I have mentioned to take the 3D word out, as 3D is obvious. You (or anyone else) shouldn't be selling the word 3D, but instead the COAT word.

As I previously mentioned in the interface topic channel, LW, Maya, Max, modo, silo .. etc.. you name it, they all have their own "Masquote" without using the app words. Play with the letter "C".

I recommend playing with the letter C and the "melting" sphere, combining them together.

Sorry I have no time besides giving you my prof. opinion.

• Advanced Member
There are two versions that do not (in fact one of the first things I tried was placing the trademark in various locations around the text and it doesn't seem to lend itself to a design that keeps them separated)...nevertheless, nothing is being forced or infused. Being constrained with the current trademark, I had limited options and WANTED to keep the text FLAT to avoid making the whole logo appear too busy.

If Andrew wants it separate, that's fine. That's why I provided different versions... feel free to do your own, but spare me the patronizing remark about needing to buy a logo book. I think I know a thing or two about the subject.

Your post about graphic 101 is more patronizing. We are all artists here but seems you can't really take any crit with your work so better read a book about it. We all read books or watch tutorials.

You don't think its infused? Again take a look at the other logos. They are in fact separated and no need to blame 3dc graphic icon that it doesn't lend itself to design that keeps it separated or having limited options with it, being constrained, etc. :brush:

• Reputable Contributor
Your post about graphic 101 is more patronizing. We are all artists here but seems you can't really take any crit with your work so better read a book about it. We all read books or watch tutorials.

You don't think its infused? Again take a look at the other logos. They are in fact separated and no need to blame 3dc graphic icon that it doesn't lend itself to design that keeps it separated or having limited options with it, being constrained, etc. :brush:

Where is it "Infused" in the last example? Please, do tell. You're trying to impose some ridiculous non-existent rule that because one element in a logo shows depth, that the WHOLE THING HAS TO! Where did you get this notion from?

These are just preliminary mockups, and I am always open to ideas and constructive critique. Problem is there are plenty of folks who derive some sense of pleasure in picking other people's work apart...ALWAYS feeling compelled to find something wrong. You appear to be one of them.

Design is a very subjective thing anyway. I see alot of material in design magazines that make me want to hurl. But there's a market for some of that. What many find appealing, others will not. Like I said, the logo mockups adhere to general design principles, and I politely stated why I happened to disagree with your assessment...on the basis that it was intentionally flat and simple. You just couldn't let it go.

I agree with the others who state that SOME of the variations could be misunderstood as 3DOC...that's a legitimate issue and why one of the variations leaves the trademark out entirely and another is located to the side...but you insist on fussing over the few that incorporate the trademark within the text. For that reason, I'm convinced you're one of those caustic, abrasive individuals that somehow gets satisfaction from demeaning others work. I don't feel that way at all from the other gentlemen...just you.

Geo...there's no need for you to bother with any of my posts from this point on. Seems like your posts in other threads are consistently hyper-critical and negative. I put you on my ignore list, and I hope you return the favor

@AbnRanger,

I hope I haven't offended you or anyone here. When I QFTA, I was agreeing with the fact that it reads 3DOC, but that's all. :pardon:

So, back again to the topic, I think that you could play with the letter C, like the Lightwave logo. No, I'm not saying to do exactly the same or even close to LW logo, but it's a starting point as reference of what one letter can turn out to be.

Hope that helps. Cheers. :drinks:

• Reputable Contributor
@AbnRanger,

I hope I haven't offended you or anyone here. When I QFTA, I was agreeing with the fact that it reads 3DOC, but that's all. :pardon:

So, back again to the topic, I think that you could play with the letter C, like the Lightwave logo. No, I'm not saying to do exactly the same or even close to LW logo, but it's a starting point as reference of what one letter can turn out to be.

Not offended at all...the 3DOC issue is a good point to raise. Didn't realize the trademark would possibly be considered part of the text, initially, but now can see how it could. I tried placing the trademark "coated sphere" all around the text and resized it in various ways. There are a few additional variations in mind, but for now, I'd kind of like to see what Andrew thinks so far.

SonK, I first did a lot of trial and error with the text and tried like you said to see if putting some sort of division between the 3 and D, but on the whole it looked better this way, IMHO...mainly because I was shooting for a very modern font style (a lot of modification to an existing font) joined together as a singular element...not just a trademark with the text below it. If Andrew likes it thus far, then I will try to explore that idea a bit further.

If anyone wants to join in and perhaps take the logo further or just join in with a different concept altogether, feel free to do so. I just wanted to give Andrew and the community some food for thought, with some preliminary designs/mockups...that allowed him to officially keep the name 3D Coat and the trademark, yet offer a fresh look to the brand to introduce with the rollout of 3DCv3 (has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?).

I could picture the ad over at CGSociety, with the title,"3DC v3...Third time is a Charm." :D

• Reputable Contributor
@AbnRanger,

Can you show a mockup of what you had in mind? I think I understand what you're saying, but don't know how that would allow Andrew to keep the current trademark in the design.

Can you show a mockup of what you had in mind? I think I understand what you're saying, but don't know how that would allow Andrew to keep the current trademark in the design.

I'll try to see what I can do if time allows. I don't promise though as I'm really tight in time.

Thought I would spend some time creating a logo that allows Andrew to keep the name and trademark, yet with a bit more marketable look

What say ye, gents? Yeah or Nay? And if Yeah, which version?

The lower one is professional work. I like the "flat" design, it represents the current view of modern logo design, for me. But I know, this statement is very subjective, actually. Nevertheless: very nice and professional.

Regards from germany

Chris

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?act...ost&id=3171

• Advanced Member

Seems like someone can't take any crits. And arguing for the sake of arguing. You're the same in the newtek forums defending 3dmax in a NEWTEK forum. if only your work spoke for itself with max. I love max and use it at work but I don't defend it like you do. Lol!. You're all positive over there.

You seem to have missed that I pointed out first it read 3DOC but chose to see only others. Why dont you place the graphic icon in at center of the letter D or C since you think your logo doesn't try to integrate the graphic with the letters. graphic design 101 to you, too. Too much ego can make people over confident of their knowledge and skillset. So lets all read books and watch tutorial more.

Here is another revision...one that address the 3DOC issue:

Actually, the comment about making the logo square was not out of line... having a logo that is square makes it easier to use as icons, within the program, as a watermark, etc.

It may offend artistic sensibilities, but square Logos WORK better in programs.

Not all logos are square of course, but they do trend that way... Max, zBrush, Lightwave, Apple, Photoshop... just to name just a few. FWIW.

• Reputable Contributor
Actually, the comment about making the logo square was not out of line... having a logo that is square makes it easier to use as icons, within the program, as a watermark, etc.

It may offend artistic sensibilities, but square Logos WORK better in programs.

Not all logos are square of course, but they do trend that way... Max, zBrush, Lightwave, Apple, Photoshop... just to name just a few. FWIW.

For such cases, the "Coated Sphere/Ball" is your "Square Icon" :brush:

• Reputable Contributor

I didn't say it was out of line. For such cases, the "Coated Sphere/Ball" :brush: is your "Square Icon" :P

Anyone that wants to try a square logo is certainly free to do so. I tried numerous variations that aren't shown here and trying to fit a round sphere in a square peg just didn't seem to fit :D

I didn't say it was out of line. For such cases, the "Coated Sphere/Ball" :brush: is your "Square Icon" :P

Anyone that wants to try a square logo is certainly free to do so. I tried numerous variations that aren't shown here and trying to fit a round sphere in a square peg just didn't seem to fit :D

Yeah, it's a struggle sometimes.

I had the issue with my company (not a 3D company... this is what I do for fun) Had a really nice logo.. then I tried to use it in the product...and everywhere it was too long. Trying to truncate it was a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor
I guess abnRanger and I had the same Idea :blink: I was working on it after I read the name and logo thread and came up with this ( mind you the "Paint-Pall" can go anywhere )

16antqh.png

That's beautiful.