3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, tcwik said:

this is soo bad taste u can dig it XD poop style ..  I think people judge this anyway ;] ..  btw. I like work without icons for my [not]  long time in 3dc [maybe because icons are changing faster than names in 3dc Ui and are more clearly defined for me ..  really sorry for my ' abusive language' ;

okay I think  'Plane Defined' mode, doesn't work well in 2d paint, is  still project from camera view [or there are some new settings in it, somewhere ]

image.png

btw. feel free to judge my taste I'm still learning and I definitely want more! ;] [deifintly ]

That is a bug that was reported a week ago. Andrew just hasn't gotten to it, yet.

• Thanks 1

@artdude12 

Please download this archive with "3DCoat" special executable:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Executables/3DCoatGL64-noCL.zip

Extract it on your Desktop. Then move the extracted executable file "3DCoatGL64-noCL.exe" into "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.B39". Does it run?

--------------------

In case previous executable won't work please try this:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Executables/3DCoatGL64-noCL-noAVX.zip

Also extract it on your Desktop. Then move the extracted executable file "3DCoatGL64-noCL-noAVX.exe" into "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.B39".

--------------------

Hope it help 

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Scary M said:

I should clarify that I Never said I stretch the application over multiple screens, my issue is I cannot run the app at all on single screen when I have two displays or more displays of different resolutions, hardware accelerated application should really be kept on a single screen. If you look at my video I have it displayed on one screen. With the offset present. Setting the resolution to the same on all displays means I can at least run 3dc on one screen.

My issue is not a multi screen support only the ability too use the application at all on one screen.

Aha. I got confused because I was watching a video by Tenitsky on this the other day...

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Scary M said:

There is no clear path it all depends on what you want to do with the application?  From just texturing and baking maps from an asset you have built elsewhere,  sculpting a start to finish project,  tweaking normal map from another software. Retopology of external asset.

I'll admit there is a plethora of confusing options especially for baking. I usually have a very set course when I use it, I often incorporate many different tools using 3dc for specific tasks within that pipeline. 

3DCoat is a Far cry from Photoshop by design. It has elements from it sure but they are there for specific tasks. What are you hoping to do with it.

I'm not defending it's often confusing complexity, just trying to understand what you want from it and how you wish to work with it.

We would all like to help make it better and more attainable usable in multiple workflows pipelines.

Frankly I'm trying to come back to it and the documentation is just not as good as it should be. When the programmers are creating a new tool they have detailed documentation as they code it. Surely there could be a more technically detailed manual than the superficial one we've got. 

• Advanced Member

I've encountered a few problems so far with the new version which make it unusable currently.  I completely understand that it's beta so I'm happy to share as much info as I can to help get the issues fixed so here is what I'm experiencing.

I have a 3 monitor setup with 2 Cintiqs.

1.  On my Cintiq Pro 24 (4k resolution) I found that there was an offset with the sculpting brush where it seemed like the cursor was being influenced by the position of my stylus and also the edge of my screen bordering the other two monitors...I had the 4k screen to the left and the  2 HD screens stacked on the right, with the bottom screen being a Cintiq Companion Hybrid (Basically an old Cintiq 13HD, that can run unattached in Android mode).  If I were to guess, it looked like the cursor was fighting between the screen I was on and the other Cintiq...as it was under my stylus and also at the border with the other Cintiq.

The brush was conflicted like this in both Sculpt mode and Paint mode, but it only affected my ability to sculpt, painting in my brief test worked fine, but there was the optical error of the brush appearing 2 places at once. 

When I used a mouse, there was no issue at all.

I tried unplugging the 2nd Cintiq, but that didn't fix anything.  I only unplugged it from the screen though, not at the computer.

2. The patches tool kept crashing, I couldn't figure out how to get it working and everything I tried cause the save your work dialog to popup followed by the program closing. 

On a side note, it would be nice to choose from a library of preset setups with some of the different curves tool and perhaps to be able to save your own templates for future use.

3. Today I moved the window to my second Cintiq monitor to see if it would work on that one properly and it did in some ways, but not others.  The brush cursor was in the right place and so I was able to sculpt, but it didn't detect my drivers properly and I couldn't navigate or resize the brush.

Then, this is where the big problem occurred.  I closed the program and reopened it, but it got stuck at a white screen and wont load.  So I see the 3D Coat splash and the 3D Coat window trying to open, but frozen.  The program is trying to reopen in the window that I closed it in.  The smaller Cintiq, but the splash is still on the main Cintiq monitor (24 Pro 24).

My next test was going to be changing the Cintiq pro 24 resolution, but it wont reopen unfortunately.

I'm using Windows 10 with  an i-7 processor, 48gb ram and RTX 2080 Super.  Not sure if windows/graphics drivers are up to date.  Will try uninstalling the demo and try reinstalling to see if I can get it running again.  Incidentally, I did try a test build a few months ago and I didn't have these issues.

Hopefully we can get some of these issues sorted so that I can test some of the new tools and workflow to provide feedback in that regard.
Overall it's a massive upgrade.  I love the gesture based transformations, that will be a huge time saver.  Thanks for listening.  Topological move and non destructive subdivision stepping are also great quality of life additions.  I can't wait to see what else is in there.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

can anyone check this... have a cylinder with a hole in the centre and then use the snake or muscle tool after 2 times it cuts out and does nothing

Not only in that particular case, it's unpredictable (=sometimes works, most of times not) even using those brushes with the default head*.

*I have not so much experience in sculpting with 3DC, so maybe I'm missing something.

• Advanced Member

-Crashes when I open the 3dConnexion software to configure buttons.

-Multiple issue when trying to use extrude in modelling room. Sometimes extruding faces works, sometimes its just moves the face, the tool always reverts to the select tool ...the spine tool seems to do this too..

-SOmetimes clicking of an object deselects all faces but sometimes this does not work.(I have to click in a different monitor and then click back into 3d COat for this to work)

3 hours ago, artdude12 said:

@Carlosan, The noCL-noAVX version is working for me. Yay! The noCL version is not working. Does my CPU (i7 3930K) not support AVX?

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Cheers @Carlosan the same for me, tried @AbnRanger's suggestion and manually added exceptions to antivirus and firewall, but no joy,

Tried the noCL version but also no joy, the noCL-noAVX version is working. I also have the i7 3930K cpu, 64Gb ram and an 11Gb Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card.

Curious what the noAVX switch is doing :huh:.

Anyway, happy days, time for some eagerly awaited testing

2.04.21, updated to B40:

- fixed common problem what many users were not able to run Coat.

- fixed lags in voxel brushes.

- If you will click and drag on any element of the free form transform (in pose or primitives) the annoying gizmo will not appear. Gizmo appears only if the element clicked without dragging.

- Spikes/snakes/muscle issue fixed

- fixed crash in gradient & fill

• Thanks 6

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, gbball said:

I've encountered a few problems so far with the new version which make it unusable currently.  I completely understand that it's beta so I'm happy to share as much info as I can to help get the issues fixed so here is what I'm experiencing.

I have a 3 monitor setup with 2 Cintiqs.

1.  On my Cintiq Pro 24 (4k resolution) I found that there was an offset with the sculpting brush where it seemed like the cursor was being influenced by the position of my stylus and also the edge of my screen bordering the other two monitors...I had the 4k screen to the left and the  2 HD screens stacked on the right, with the bottom screen being a Cintiq Companion Hybrid (Basically an old Cintiq 13HD, that can run unattached in Android mode).  If I were to guess, it looked like the cursor was fighting between the screen I was on and the other Cintiq...as it was under my stylus and also at the border with the other Cintiq.

The brush was conflicted like this in both Sculpt mode and Paint mode, but it only affected my ability to sculpt, painting in my brief test worked fine, but there was the optical error of the brush appearing 2 places at once. 

When I used a mouse, there was no issue at all.

I tried unplugging the 2nd Cintiq, but that didn't fix anything.  I only unplugged it from the screen though, not at the computer.

2. The patches tool kept crashing, I couldn't figure out how to get it working and everything I tried cause the save your work dialog to popup followed by the program closing. 

On a side note, it would be nice to choose from a library of preset setups with some of the different curves tool and perhaps to be able to save your own templates for future use.

3. Today I moved the window to my second Cintiq monitor to see if it would work on that one properly and it did in some ways, but not others.  The brush cursor was in the right place and so I was able to sculpt, but it didn't detect my drivers properly and I couldn't navigate or resize the brush.

Then, this is where the big problem occurred.  I closed the program and reopened it, but it got stuck at a white screen and wont load.  So I see the 3D Coat splash and the 3D Coat window trying to open, but frozen.  The program is trying to reopen in the window that I closed it in.  The smaller Cintiq, but the splash is still on the main Cintiq monitor (24 Pro 24).

My next test was going to be changing the Cintiq pro 24 resolution, but it wont reopen unfortunately.

I'm using Windows 10 with  an i-7 processor, 48gb ram and RTX 2080 Super.  Not sure if windows/graphics drivers are up to date.  Will try uninstalling the demo and try reinstalling to see if I can get it running again.  Incidentally, I did try a test build a few months ago and I didn't have these issues.

Hopefully we can get some of these issues sorted so that I can test some of the new tools and workflow to provide feedback in that regard.
Overall it's a massive upgrade.  I love the gesture based transformations, that will be a huge time saver.  Thanks for listening.  Topological move and non destructive subdivision stepping are also great quality of life additions.  I can't wait to see what else is in there.

Just bumping this so it doesn't get lost.

Also, I just tried version 3d-Coat-V2021-B40-64.exe and it's still not opening.

• Advanced Member

the modelling side of thing needs a rework, i personally use blender for this normally because it has a super fast workflow

theres way too much going on inside 3dc 

spline1.thumb.jpg.4a26660e4ecf85ab9ae772aece2b0a4e.jpgspline2.thumb.jpg.ecd441cf74351833f41fe19b41030045.jpg

spline tool seems to be inverted?

its giving off really weird results

• Advanced Member

Okay, so if I rename the PC/Documents/3D-CoatV2021 folder it loads on my primary Cintiq and it opens properly, but I still have the sculpting issue with the brush cursor  offset that I mentioned earlier.

I'm not a fan of the new feature of the toolbar in the upper right of the viewport being invisible until you move the mouse up to the area. It seems also that it would be detrimental to new users since they would not know the tools are there until they stumbled upon them. It's not a big problem or anything but I think the new hide-and-seek style is the opposite of an improvement. It would be a good thing to be made optional in my opinion.

toolbar1.png.805c2ede95b4101d365f28f3ce0d104f.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thank for the fixes.
Now this in Modeling room: I created a cube from 3D Primitives, than I want to move it, so I pressed Transform to move the cube, but 3D Primitives is still on, not sure if this is a feature.

image.thumb.png.6d2bacf2e807113561ff152a0b8a4ddc.png

I think 3D Transform should be off, the same way, for example, if I press Knife and 3D Primitives is off. Again, not sure if that is something requested/wanted or not.

Thank you.

• Advanced Member
37 minutes ago, Wizardkiss said:

I'm not a fan of the new feature of the toolbar in the upper right of the viewport being invisible until you move the mouse up to the area. It seems also that it would be detrimental to new users since they would not know the tools are there until they stumbled upon them. It's not a big problem or anything but I think the new hide-and-seek style is the opposite of an improvement. It would be a good thing to be made optional in my opinion.

Who wants new users?!?! There's Blender for them! Just kidding (Blender user here).
I think your point is good, but, as you said, I would love that as an option in Preferences, because the fact I have a clean, big canvas makes me more focused on what I'm doing.

Edited by thinkinmonkey

11 minutes ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Beveling works (green), beveling doesn't work (red), same parameters, different results, it was just an innocent edgeloop all around the cylinder:

Thank you.
We will fix this bug

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Wizardkiss said:

I think people have to understand there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to please everyone. The very thing you say you don't like is the very thing someone else (or more) asked for. I personally like the way it works as it helps reduce the overall clutter. I wish the Activity Bar was done the same way, but (moved and scaled to match the navigation bar) aligned vertically, below the camera icon (upper right).

Apart from that, I hope Andrew just focuses on bug-fixing and getting the release out, ASAP, rather than waste time trying to please everyone's preferences for the UI. There will be plenty of time for that after the release. Just my 2 cents worth. 

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Thank for the fixes.
Now this in Modeling room: I created a cube from 3D Primitives, than I want to move it, so I pressed Transform to move the cube, but 3D Primitives is still on, not sure if this is a feature.

image.thumb.png.6d2bacf2e807113561ff152a0b8a4ddc.png

I think 3D Transform should be off, the same way, for example, if I press Knife and 3D Primitives is off. Again, not sure if that is something requested/wanted or not.

Thank you.

When you create a primitive whether it is in the Retopo, Modeling or Sculpt workspace, you have a transform gizmo applied automatically because it is not a mesh in the scene, yet. It is basically a temporary or preview object. Once you commit it to a (PolyGroup) layer by hitting the APPLY button in the tool options panel or hit the ENTER key, then the Primitive will remain in the scene until you choose a different tool...because 3DCoat assumes you are not done creating primitives while the primitives tool is active.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic