3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I think people have to understand there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to please everyone. The very thing you say you don't like is the very thing someone else (or more) asked for. I personally like the way it works as it helps reduce the overall clutter. I wish the Activity Bar was done the same way, but (moved and scaled to match the navigation bar) aligned vertically, below the camera icon (upper right).

Apart from that, I hope Andrew just focuses on bug-fixing and getting the release out, ASAP, rather than waste time trying to please everyone's preferences for the UI. There will be plenty of time for that after the release. Just my 2 cents worth. 

Amen to that, but...
We know that and I'm sure developers have their scheduling and deadlines in order to fix bugs and, after that, add some features according old/new customers requests.
Maybe they will take in account all suggestions about UI later, because UI matters, because UI => UX, user experience: if you cook something new for me, I will judge not only its taste, but also its presentation, the kind of dish used and so on, it's not only what I eat, but also what I see and what I smell.
In other words, UI has been worked/changed since version 4, we cannot avoid to comment/judge UI (IN CONSTRUCTIVE WAY, of course), but, then again, I'm sure, and I hope, everything written here is more like notes to be read in future as soon things are fixed.
UI makes no difference: it can be annoying, having bugs and so on just like the other parts of a software.

P.S. Please, delete this message if it's too much OT. Nop at all! ;)

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

When you create a primitive whether it is in the Retopo, Modeling or Sculpt workspace, you have a transform gizmo applied automatically because it is not a mesh in the scene, yet. It is basically a temporary or preview object. Once you commit it to a (PolyGroup) layer by hitting the APPLY button in the tool options panel or hit the ENTER key, then the Primitive will remain in the scene until you choose a different tool...because 3DCoat assumes you are not done creating primitives while the primitives tool is active.

Ok, I see your point, not sure now if I like that or not, I have to use it more.

Edited by thinkinmonkey

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

I think people have to understand there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to please everyone. The very thing you say you don't like is the very thing someone else (or more) asked for. I personally like the way it works as it helps reduce the overall clutter. I wish the Activity Bar was done the same way, but (moved and scaled to match the navigation bar) aligned vertically, below the camera icon (upper right).

Apart from that, I hope Andrew just focuses on bug-fixing and getting the release out, ASAP, rather than waste time trying to please everyone's preferences for the UI. There will be plenty of time for that after the release. Just my 2 cents worth. 

Actually, it is in fact entirely possible to please everyone in regard to such changes; by making them options, as I suggested.

As for your last comment; the post at the start of the thread by Andrew Shpagin asks for feedback, not just bug reports, which I would assume includes feedback on the new UI changes (I don't know why it wouldn't).

• Applink Developer

quick feedback. One positive and one negative :)

- Positive = sculping feels better. There is less spikes which is very good. ( I mean situations where you move faces away from camera).Thank you.

- Negative = taking rooms under tab icon. I'm not sure do I like this change so much. Before changing rooms were under on click. Now they are under two. For example I like to switch a lot between sculpt and render room. Now it takes a bit extra work to get there. 

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 4

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

There is a real problem with that toolbar though, not just a matter of being pleased or not :
The problem is visibility : it has a fixed whiteish colour which does not change depending on what is behind it.

what is the problem ? You can't have a light background at top of screen anymore, unless you have eagle eyes maybe, because yes the icons have a darkish outline that lets you see the vague outline of the buttons on light background.

Anyway, buttons do not belong in the 3d viewport  imho.

The activity bar has problems too :
you have to reach for it at the top right of ui... and its panel have a tendency to vanish too early. Also you need the old corresponding panels for some things in order to save clicks. For instance you can't drag and drop an image in the stencils panel of the activity bar.
Now what about people who stretch their ui over several monitors ? The activity bar can't be moved... which means if you have a monitor to the right, the activity bar will be there at the far right, unpractical.

3d-Coat has a far more powerful feature than the activity bar : the ability to call panels via shortcuts (and therefore voice commands) right under your cursor. Making the activity bar redundant and very awkward.
Also, I suspect an activity bar-related bug : you cannot call the smart materials panel anymore. (windows>popup>smart materials)

Focusing on bug fixes is wonderful news, but the UI is more important than most bugs, imho.

• Like 1

B40

1525488859_DesktopScreenshot2021_04.03-17_37_29_41.thumb.png.23625cd2c6a8f77f61d9efa9a0eab5ba.png

Voxels mode Clay tool symmetry does not work.

1366746302_DesktopScreenshot2021_04.03-17_38_59_78.thumb.png.55a8a7066c9c5ace8c2c2147b9c85be9.png

The move tool does not work.

Postscript

The default move tool is spline
It worked when I switched to pen mode.

Edited by umitsuki

• Advanced Member

In Modeling room, if I select rectangle lasso for Select, than I use Split rings, for example, (which has no rectangle lasso and it switches to brush), clicking Select again now it shows the brush mode instead the rectangle lasso.
Could it be possible to be fixed/featured?

Thank you

• Advanced Member

1. In the new Curves tool, if the Verts value of NGon and Star is set very low (0~1), the position of the curve moves to an abnormal place.
(Position value changes rapidly and disappears farther away)

2. On Plane mode is not properly applied in the Curve tool.

3. A phenomenon in which other curves are also affected when adjusting the width and height when creating a curve tool while the curve is not selected.

4. Before doing [Convert to regular curve] in Curve tool
Repeating'Create-Undo' causes the [Edit Primatives Parameter] to not work with high probability.
This problem is less common with Elipse and Ngon, and more severe with other Curve Shapes.

5. When using Curve, if you grab the point of Curve and [Transform without gizmo], it will not be applied to the point and the modeling in Poly Groups will be affected.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

So, 39 was working, but 40 is not running at all???

I don't mean bugs, I mean just possible to run.

It seems like they both have the same problem.  If I start with it on my main monitor Cintiq Pro 24 it opens fine.  But then if I move the window to my other monitor (Cintiq Companion Hybrid) and then close it.  If I then try to reopen it after having closed it on the 2nd monitor it wont reopen, it freezes.  If I then delete or rename the PC/Documents/3D-CoatV2021 and then it will reopen on the main monitor again with no problem.  So I can get it to open so long as I don't move the window to a different monitor and close it.  It seems like it may be related to the wacom settings in some way.

Edited by gbball

• Advanced Member
On 4/2/2021 at 6:04 PM, Carlosan said:

@artdude12 

Please download this archive with "3DCoat" special executable:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Executables/3DCoatGL64-noCL.zip

Extract it on your Desktop. Then move the extracted executable file "3DCoatGL64-noCL.exe" into "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.B39". Does it run?

--------------------

In case previous executable won't work please try this:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Executables/3DCoatGL64-noCL-noAVX.zip

Also extract it on your Desktop. Then move the extracted executable file "3DCoatGL64-noCL-noAVX.exe" into "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.B39".

--------------------

Hope it help 

Thanks!
My version didn't start initially. I have a very old computer: cpu I7, ram 6G, win7. (I know, it is very slow with high resolution). I solved issue by downloading the file above.

Congratulations and best wishes for this new version. I like the new interface colors and also graphic and icons.
Thanks for allowing to use the beta version.

I just want to make a criticism, focused on only one aspect of the software.
I would have expected more hardsurface modeling tools to be implemented... but maybe I haven't seen them yet. Although an artist like Anton Tenitsky has shown how it is possible to do incredible works with just a few tools, I believe that much more could be done for what is the main feature of 3DCoat: voxels specifically used for hardsurface modeling. Because that's where voxels really give their best, IMHO, not organic. No other program that I know can work voxels like 3DCoat. IMHO voxel hard surface sketching is still the true potential and main strength of 3DC. But you look what Tenitsky does, his models look like made in CAD. Making a cad model, without the theoretical complications of a cad software.
So why not primarily develop this stuff that nobody has, but 3dCoat has?
My dream (the same as many beginners), many years ago now, was to be able to bypass polygons ... to be able to overlapping all commands and polygonal tools on/over the voxels. Without worrying if one vertex is really welded to the other, if there are triangles in the mesh, or reversed normal etc.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member
On 4/2/2021 at 9:04 AM, Carlosan said:

@artdude12 

Please download this archive with "3DCoat" special executable:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Executables/3DCoatGL64-noCL.zip

Extract it on your Desktop. Then move the extracted executable file "3DCoatGL64-noCL.exe" into "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.B39". Does it run?

--------------------

In case previous executable won't work please try this:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Executables/3DCoatGL64-noCL-noAVX.zip

Also extract it on your Desktop. Then move the extracted executable file "3DCoatGL64-noCL-noAVX.exe" into "C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V2021.B39".

--------------------

Hope it help 

noAVX works under wine on Linux too.

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, haikalle said:

quick feedback. One positive and one negative :)

- Positive = sculping feels better. There is less spikes which is very good. ( I mean situations where you move faces away from camera).Thank you.

- Negative = taking rooms under tab icon. I'm not sure do I like this change so much. Before changing rooms were under on click. Now they are under two. For example I like to switch a lot between sculpt and render room. Now it takes a bit extra work to get there. 

Yes, drop down menu is not very convenient. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gbball said:

It seems like they both have the same problem.  If I start with it on my main monitor Cintiq Pro 24 it opens fine.  But then if I move the window to my other monitor (Cintiq Companion Hybrid) and then close it.  If I then try to reopen it after having closed it on the 2nd monitor it wont reopen, it freezes.  If I then delete or rename the PC/Documents/3D-CoatV2021 and then it will reopen on the main monitor again with no problem.  So I can get it to open so long as I don't move the window to a different monitor and close it.  It seems like it may be related to the wacom settings in some way.

Ok, forwarded to the responsible guy.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, gbball said:

Definitely Wacom and wintab related try it in tablet pc mode in brushing preferences it's better but wintab really needs to work properly, tablet pc not meant for use with wacom we get stutters and bad strokes pressure sensitivity issues.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

i know this isnt related but how much will upgrade from amateur to 2021 be? i didnt want professional as im a hobbyist 

I personally didnt upgrade from amateur instead purchased pro from steam. Better currency exchange. Hobbyist here too :) 

22 hours ago, gbball said:

So I can get it to open so long as I don't move the window to a different monitor and close it.

To reset window position you can just remove one file:
This PC > Documents\3D-CoatV2021\window.txt
Please contact me: sergkryzh at gmail dot com. We will build a special executable to investigate where the freeze happens.

• Like 1

Beta B40

image.thumb.png.52a45eb8a4a44f60fbc84baa57247d3d.png

Actual behavior:  I imported a model with hard edges (blue edges in image).  There are also marked seams (red edges in image).  When I mark a new seam loop (yellow edges in image) the seam stops at the hard edges rather than the marked seams.

Expected behavior:  When marking a loop as a seam I would expect it to end at another marked seam.  It should ignore hard edges and continue through them. It used to behave this way but changed somewhere along the way.  It makes marking seams far more tedious.

It would also be nice to have the option to toggle the display of hard edges.  I'd love to turn off the blue edges.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, SERGYI said:

To reset window position you can just remove one file:
This PC > Documents\3D-CoatV2021\window.txt
Please contact me: sergkryzh at gmail dot com. We will build a special executable to investigate where the freeze happens.

Thanks this worked.  And email sent!

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Scary M said:

Definitely Wacom and wintab related try it in tablet pc mode in brushing preferences it's better but wintab really needs to work properly, tablet pc not meant for use with wacom we get stutters and bad strokes pressure sensitivity issues.

Thanks, this works and allows me to do some sculpting.  But I'll  hold off on sharing feedback until I can try with Wintab

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic