3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/3/2021 at 12:59 AM, Wizardkiss said:

Actually, it is in fact entirely possible to please everyone in regard to such changes; by making them options, as I suggested.

As for your last comment; the post at the start of the thread by Andrew Shpagin asks for feedback, not just bug reports, which I would assume includes feedback on the new UI changes (I don't know why it wouldn't).

The real development focus at this point is making the release as stable as possible, not adding more features. Andrew and the development team already have a massively full plate, and many people here have fussed about the length of time is has already taken to get the release out. That is something to consider.  Right before any major release, of any software, is not a time to pile on more and more feature requests. It's a time to tie up all the loose ends and fix bugs.

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/3/2021 at 3:03 AM, Silas Merlin said:

There is a real problem with that toolbar though, not just a matter of being pleased or not :
The problem is visibility : it has a fixed whiteish colour which does not change depending on what is behind it.

what is the problem ? You can't have a light background at top of screen anymore, unless you have eagle eyes maybe, because yes the icons have a darkish outline that lets you see the vague outline of the buttons on light background.

Anyway, buttons do not belong in the 3d viewport  imho.

The activity bar has problems too :
you have to reach for it at the top right of ui... and its panel have a tendency to vanish too early. Also you need the old corresponding panels for some things in order to save clicks. For instance you can't drag and drop an image in the stencils panel of the activity bar.
Now what about people who stretch their ui over several monitors ? The activity bar can't be moved... which means if you have a monitor to the right, the activity bar will be there at the far right, unpractical.

3d-Coat has a far more powerful feature than the activity bar : the ability to call panels via shortcuts (and therefore voice commands) right under your cursor. Making the activity bar redundant and very awkward.
Also, I suspect an activity bar-related bug : you cannot call the smart materials panel anymore. (windows>popup>smart materials)

Focusing on bug fixes is wonderful news, but the UI is more important than most bugs, imho.

I understand your thinking, but have you ever seen the viewports in Modo or Lightwave? Blender has quite a number of these icons in the viewport, as well. I agree with you, though, on the Activity bar, in terms of its placement. Icons are too huge and inconsistent with the rest of the UI. Getting that right is fix, rather than a feature request, IMHO.

• Advanced Member

1862712478_bandicam2021-04-0513-03-46-089_.jpg.8499d04ac6034903386ab436f6ef3b62.jpg
1. [ a typing error ]
In the Curve RMB menu..
Put on plane - Center masss + ZX-plane'

2. Center mass + XY-plane need to be checked
Unlike YZ and ZX, XY seems to be aligned to the opposite side based on the world axis, not based on the curve.
Or is this normal?

Edit 1)
3. When running [ Curves Operations-Smoothing Curve ] process, the description of the Simplify Curve, not the Smoothing Curve, appears.

Edited by Yousung

It's a time to tie up all the loose ends and fix bugs.

It seemed to me that all normal programmers put this at least second after profit, if not vice versa. Thus, there would be no situations on every second release of the "stable version" when the program crashes.

It's just that sometimes it seems that the program is uploaded to the site immediately after compilation, without even checking the basic elements of the program.

Although the new interface looks really good and "modern", it seems that the cosmetic component should not break what already worked, judging by the large number of bug reports on the forum alone, not to mention the letters to A. Shpagin.

I am using the .72 version and am happy so far. But this version is one of the few stable at least in the basic aspects of sculpting.

I just want to say one thing - for example, when the Blender exited, its first versions (for example 2.50 or 2.70, or 2.80) could be so buggy that pressing one button in the current session caused the program to crash, in the next session and clicking on that the button did not cause anything, and pressing another random button again crashed the program. BUT.

In the next release, for example 2.71, this was no longer at all, and stability reached at least 70% in all major aspects of work.

Edited by Barrel

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, Barrel said:

It's just that sometimes it seems that the program is uploaded to the site immediately after compilation, without even checking the basic elements of the program.

Well, I saw some videos where this new beta version was working with no problems, so I think they checked the basics.

Although the new interface looks really good and "modern", it seems that the cosmetic component should not break what already worked, judging by the large number of bug reports on the forum alone, not to mention the letters to A. Shpagin.

Which letters?!?!

I am using the .72 version and am happy so far. But this version is one of the few stable at least in the basic aspects of sculpting.

I just want to say one thing - for example, when the Blender exited, its first versions (for example 2.50 or 2.70, or 2.80) could be so buggy that pressing one button in the current session caused the program to crash, in the next session and clicking on that the button did not cause anything, and pressing another random button again crashed the program. BUT.

In the next release, for example 2.71, this was no longer at all, and stability reached at least 70% in all major aspects of work.

This is why developers put names like "alpha", "beta" and "cadet" before releasing "stable" version.
The numbering version is different and it doesn't mean a software is stable, it's a way to keep track of what has been changed/modified/deleted in order to reach a stable version, if reached, because there would be always bugs, you know, little ones no one ever encountered that are able to crash the program or to corrupt the project file or freeze the computer or the previous three in one go! sigh!

If you say .72 is stable and you have some spare time, why not investing that time testing 2021 here and there as you normally do with .72 and then report bugs or strange things to Pilgway teams? In this way you will accelerate the bug fixing process and everyone of us, including you, will be able to access a stable version faster.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I understand your thinking, but have you ever seen the viewports in Modo or Lightwave? Blender has quite a number of these icons in the viewport, as well. I agree with you, though, on the Activity bar, in terms of its placement. Icons are too huge and inconsistent with the rest of the UI. Getting that right is fix, rather than a feature request, IMHO.

Dude, you can't claim that your wishes for changes to the Activity Bar are important "fixes" but that everyone else's wishes are just a waste of time.

As for the Activity Bar, I assume the icons were made big because it's supposed to be a fast access type of thing. The big icons make it easy to quickly swipe the mouse up and hit the one you want. It was a smart way to design it.

• Advanced Member

Congratulations to the whole team for the beta and i just start testing it and i had freezing trying some voxel brushes on a simple sphere with my wacom pen. The brush feel like it stick to the sphere and then the spinning gizmo appear and then the screen turned white and ctd.

Dude, you can't claim that your wishes for changes to the Activity Bar are important "fixes" but that everyone else's wishes are just a waste of time.

Sorry, but you only read what you wanted to see. I was fine with the interface of the previous version. The emphasis of my message was, I repeat especially for you, that any change in the appearance of the program cannot be a reason for the functionality of the program to break.

In addition, if I spoke about interface changes, it was about two years ago, when I just started using the program.

If you say .72 is stable and you have some spare time, why not investing that time testing 2021 here and there as you normally do with .72 and then report bugs or strange things to Pilgway teams? In this way you will accelerate the bug fixing process and everyone of us, including you, will be able to access a stable version faster.

If only there would be any reaction to these messages. When I first started using the program about two years ago, it was extremely crude and unstable. Departures could be anywhere.

I wrote a LOT of detailed messages, describing the steps, where and how glitches, errors and so on are obtained. There was no reaction. The same errors passed from version to version.

In the end, I just got tired of it and I saw the pointlessness of communicating something to the developers, wasting my time on it.

If someone saw a supposedly stable version of the developers, recorded in the work, then where did the numerous bug reports on the forum come from?

It looks like the "testing" takes place on a single computer in the entire firm. While different system configurations can contribute to the work. It's even, probably, about the hardware level, only if you don't try to run the program on the refrigerator.

And when it comes to the "beta" or "stable" version, this is just an excuse, in essence. This whole program, with all its advantages and advantages, is an endless beta version.

I want to note that I am only saying the way it is. Without the emotional coloring of the situation. I myself use the program almost every day and I love it.

But, perhaps, developers should still spend their money on the testing and debugging department of the program, and not spend the money of users who act as alpha and omega, testers.

• Advanced Member

Hi, dear developers. 

I noticed a strange issue with Renderman. 

Tried to render a simple head and the 3D-Coat was Freezed.

Installed the latest version.

Video with an issue -> 

Steps:
- Open 3dcoat
- Select voxel 3d head
- Go to RenderRoom
- Select Renderman
- Click Render Preview

How to fix this?

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.

• Advanced Member
36 minutes ago, Barrel said:

If only there would be any reaction to these messages. When I first started using the program about two years ago, it was extremely crude and unstable. Departures could be anywhere.

I don't expect reaction, only a new version with things told to a certain point solved.

I wrote a LOT of detailed messages, describing the steps, where and how glitches, errors and so on are obtained. There was no reaction. The same errors passed from version to version.

I'm sorry to read that, I don't know the details, so I cannot say something, but I can understand the frustration.

If someone saw a supposedly stable version of the developers, recorded in the work, then where did the numerous bug reports on the forum come from?

Dunno, maybe we used in a different way or we are doing things they didn't.

And when it comes to the "beta" or "stable" version, this is just an excuse, in essence. This whole program, with all its advantages and advantages, is an endless beta version.

So they are all softwares now! XD
Sometimes I think the same, and I have been far from 3DCoat to be honest, but then I said to myself better to have an always fixing previous bugs beta, than an usable stable

I myself use the program almost every day and I love it.

Good! ^__^

But, perhaps, developers should still spend their money on the testing and debugging department of the program, and not spend the money of users who act as alpha and omega, testers.

This last part is not so clear to me, especially the one about alpha omega testers.

• Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, artofcharly said:

Hi, dear developers.

I noticed a strange issue with Renderman.

Tried to render a simple head and the 3D-Coat was Freezed.

Installed the latest version.

Video with an issue ->

Steps:
- Open 3dcoat
- Select voxel 3d head
- Go to RenderRoom
- Select Renderman
- Click Render Preview

How to fix this?

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.

1157818877_2021-04-05203641.thumb.jpg.7ff8c5bee84b23d5630e0c254792e9ca.jpg
After following the problem, instead of crush for me
A window pops up asking me to download RenderMan
Is this the phenomenon after downloading RenderMan?

I can't test it because I can't go into the site and download RenderMan.

1 hour ago, Barrel said:

Sorry, but you only read what you wanted to see. I was fine with the interface of the previous version. The emphasis of my message was, I repeat especially for you, that any change in the appearance of the program cannot be a reason for the functionality of the program to break.

In addition, if I spoke about interface changes, it was about two years ago, when I just started using the program.

My comment that you quoted had nothing to do with anything you said. Did you quote the wrong message?

• Advanced Member

Version .40:

Voxel tools:

-Vox Clay: Doesnt work with symmetry, has a very noticeable lag around 1.7Mil triangles. Lassos work with symmetry.

-Grow: has a very noticeable lag around 1.7Mil triangles

-Airbrush: Doesnt work with brush strokes at all but the lassos work fine.

-Build:  Doesnt work with brush strokes at all but the lassos work fine.

-Extrude: Doesnt work with symmetry, has a very noticeable lag around 1.7Mil triangles. Lassos work with symmetry.

Clay/Draw brushes all seem to work normal.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

Beta 40, The environment background images are not applying in the workspace.

My fault, it works fine  , just forgot how to use it after setting it about three years ago and never changing it since. ha ha.....move along ...nothing to see here.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

In the Paint Room maybe the first icon should say Brush rather than Pen ?

Also I cant seem to import environment maps for the background. I have an exr in my 4.9 but it wont load and neither will hdr images. Program locks up. ( I fully expect this to be an error on my part ha ha)

Hello, I've created an account because frankly I've really felt the change from 4

As to contextualise my comment; I'm polyvalent in doing 3D, and using 3D Coat since 2017 exclusively for model painting and (almost) never used the other tools (like, even today I haven't found something better than 3dCoat for my painting needs). IMHO;

• Performance are really better than 4.9 in occlusion and curvature mapping, like, at least half the time if not shorter than what I was used to
  • The UI is really better, it seems less cluttered and I feel more comfortable to experiment in other room as well. I'm more understanding the benefits of having one place to makes everything
    • Rendering is very interestingn very straightforward as painting tool, I now makes my preview images to share here instead of switching to other software and rebuilding materials
    • Coming from Blender, the modeling tool feel really weird. I'm going to try it more but I'm not convinced in modeling entirely inside 3dCoat

I believe some will laugh for such a noobish comment, but globaly that upgrade makes my life easier, and invited me to experiment more with the software. 

• Like 1

Hi

I have only had time to try out the sculpt room so far. Surface mode seems very responsive but in v. 39 I had very slow voxel mode performance, however the last version v.40 fixes the speed/lag issue but introduces a new problem: as soon as I increase the resolution of an object, I can no longer sculpt in voxels at all - none of the brushes work. I have tried starting the program a few times and it is a recurring problem. This issue is not in surface mode. Also, the new sharpen brush in surface mode seemed to be working in v.39, but not in v.40. Voxel sculpting seems to create quite a few holes/artifacts in objects - but not sure is that is an issue linked to not being able to increase the resolution. Not sure if you are tracking machine setups for common issues, but I am using latest NVIDIA game ready driver, RTX 2080, AMD R9 3900x. Thanks for all the hard work.  

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, oah1981 said:

Hi

I have only had time to try out the sculpt room so far. Surface mode seems very responsive but in v. 39 I had very slow voxel mode performance, however the last version v.40 fixes the speed/lag issue but introduces a new problem: as soon as I increase the resolution of an object, I can no longer sculpt in voxels at all - none of the brushes work. I have tried starting the program a few times and it is a recurring problem. This issue is not in surface mode. Also, the new sharpen brush in surface mode seemed to be working in v.39, but not in v.40. Voxel sculpting seems to create quite a few holes/artifacts in objects - but not sure is that is an issue linked to not being able to increase the resolution. Not sure if you are tracking machine setups for common issues, but I am using latest NVIDIA game ready driver, RTX 2080, AMD R9 3900x. Thanks for all the hard work.  

Same here only the clay seem to work correctly for me.

• Advanced Member

When Curve RMB - Attach tube or models array is applied and a point is inserted (double click on curve) on the curve
the size of the added part is abnormally deformed.
// Sorry guys It's not bug :p
Lack of understanding of the tool..

Edit 01)
OK, I found that it was affected by the size of the brush when insert point.

Edit 02)
Is there a way I can place points regardless of the size of the brush while tube/array?

Edit 03)
I found it.
It's a little different what i wanted, but after selecting a point to transform the scale
Curve RMB-Curve setting-Assing radius
It is adjusted according to the currently set brush size.
If nothing is selected, it is applied to the entire curve.

Edited by Yousung

Navigation using 3D mouse seems to have lost a lot of it accuracy in B39 (haven't tested B40 yet).

In 4.9.72 (first half of the video) I can effortlessly zoom, pan and rotate into any detail of the sculpt that I choose.

In B39, there's a considerable amount of 'tilting' of the geometry across the screen while navigating with the 3D mouse. An attempt to zoom into a detail section will often result in zooming into an adjacent section of the object. The haptic feeling while navigating is that of having a pushback against the kind of fluidity that previous versions have.

The video might not do justice to the argument as 50% of the issue is the tactile 3D mouse response to the operator - although I do believe one can see more precision in on-screen navigation in the 4.9.72 screencast.

One can see that there have been programming changes to the 3D navigation as the 3D mouse pop-up settings window looks differently between 4.9 and B39.
3DCoat 3D mouse navigation has previously been only bettered by that of Rhino in my opinion. It would be great not to see regression in that aspect.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic