3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !

• Advanced Member

image.thumb.png.1661ade8f6ec13deadfeeb5e189b0443.png

As shown here, painting on overlapped UVs still seems impossible (I don't expect AO/Curvature bakes to work then). On 4.8.44 it's ok but curvature/AO bakes fails. Note that to me that's the last stable version for texturing (I'm fine with that), these bug were reported a few years ago, I personnally expect the 2021 to come out with fixes on this point which is really important when texturing atlasses for environments

Issue can be reproduced using texturing tile plane template

Edited by Vexod14

None of the Clay/Draw brushes can be inverted using an assigned shortcut.
The 'UI identifier INVACTION not found. See log.txt' message pops up.

Brush inversion can still be executed while brushing with Ctrl key pressed.
Issue persists on both B39 and B40.

Untitled.png

scratch tool works a lot better in 3d 4.9 72! ...better blends steps, etc. How to mimic does settings in the new brush engine 3dC2k21?

image.png.ccdf473bf404b1d5e9294d51fab119ff.png

Edited by tcwik

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, Daniko said:

My 3dConnexion mouse inputs don't seem to work at all.  The button are working, but not the controller.  It works fine in 4.9.72.  

For me it is the opposite (only tried B39 though) :
The buttons don't work... I get the 3dConnexion pie menus instead.
The navigation works kind of. It has a different feel from 4.9, different in a good way, except that randomly it will go off track so to speak.

In 3D Coat 2021:

Importing quixel smart materials causes crash:

1. Download this texture: https://quixel.com/megascans/free?category=surface&category=grass&category=wild&assetId=sfknaeoa

2. Open 3d Coat 2021, tell it to import the texture and it crashes

(in 3D Coat 4.9.72 it doesn't crash but fails to fully import the texture complaining about not being able to find the roughness texture which is actually in the downloaded zip file). 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, kt2 said:

Navigation using 3D mouse seems to have lost a lot of it accuracy in B39 (haven't tested B40 yet).

In 4.9.72 (first half of the video) I can effortlessly zoom, pan and rotate into any detail of the sculpt that I choose.

In B39, there's a considerable amount of 'tilting' of the geometry across the screen while navigating with the 3D mouse. An attempt to zoom into a detail section will often result in zooming into an adjacent section of the object. The haptic feeling while navigating is that of having a pushback against the kind of fluidity that previous versions have.

The video might not do justice to the argument as 50% of the issue is the tactile 3D mouse response to the operator - although I do believe one can see more precision in on-screen navigation in the 4.9.72 screencast.

One can see that there have been programming changes to the 3D navigation as the 3D mouse pop-up settings window looks differently between 4.9 and B39.
3DCoat 3D mouse navigation has previously been only bettered by that of Rhino in my opinion. It would be great not to see regression in that aspect.

I also notice this very difficult to orbit around object and seem to jump to another invisible axis.

• Advanced Member

Andrew is only one.  but there are many issue.  probably it will take a lot of time to fix those.  I know.  I will wait. :lazy:

I found a issue. 3d-coat stop when I make a new material. it is 2021 betaV39~40. windows10.

• Advanced Member
27 minutes ago, jene said:

Andrew is only one.  but there are many issue.  probably it will take a lot of time to fix those.  I know.  I will wait. :lazy:

I found a issue. 3d-coat stop when I make a new material. it is 2021 betaV39~40. windows10.

I've had similar issues.  I was trying to use nodes though, so I thought it was related to that.

28 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Sorry, but you forgot to write about the error.

Dozens of posts above testify to this, unfortunately. Therefore, you will have to wait again six months or a year to switch to this version, until the developers again remember that they should test at least every three or four versions, and not make free testers out of users.

Hi,

New KitBash room looks very good to build a background.

A plane definition be easier while  I draw with "On Plane" option.

This is just an idea but I think that drawing with "Plane Defnined by RMB"  would come better if "Pick Point Only" and "& Forward Direction" are switchable by Alt-key-modifier .

Thanks in advance,

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Barrel said:

Dozens of posts above testify to this, unfortunately. Therefore, you will have to wait again six months or a year to switch to this version, until the developers again remember that they should test at least every three or four versions, and not make free testers out of users.

Time to calm down. 3DCoat development is and has always been one of the most efficient out there. Compared to stronger groups like autodesk, each Pilgway update is extremely generous, fresh and bring new tools to the table.

I personnally understand that they can't publish fully stable beta releases here and in fact that's the point of this thread : you're here to help testing out the app on your side of choice, mine goes for painting, someone else will roll over sculpt room or UVs...etc. This way devs will have a clearer "bugmap" and that's definitely a clever way to proceed. 

Now if you downloaded this version for production, then you were simply not looking at the right place (it's a "Beta" testing thread, tools here are expected to come in unstable state and that's absolutely normal)

• Thanks 4

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Barrel said:

What do you think a public Open Beta is?  No matter what software you use, if a software company gives you access to a Beta, is for the purposes of helping development spot bugs and to refine tools the way you expect them to work, if they are missing some importantly functionality. If you don't want to participate in this way, then wait until the release to download 2021.

• Thanks 2

Please community, focus on the purpose of this thread which is to share development versions and help finding bugs.

For any other reason you are free to create other threads.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

It's very hard for some of us to know what's a bug and what's intended behavior. For example, in virtual mirror, each edit operation switches the symmetry side. To me, it seems like a bug or an April 1st joke, but maybe it's intended behavior?

That said, the beta is quite good, in some cases even less buggy than "stable". And I understand the challenges of testing a complicated piece of software, specially one that includes so many user-interface elements.

When transferring a Modeling asset to Sculpt space using Mesh > Make Sculpt Mesh, the link between the low-poly asset and the sculpt is retained which causes changes in Sculpt space being deleted upon re-entering the Modeling space.

Duplicating the sculpt object allows to bypass this behaviour although it feels counterintuitive and adds clutter to the SculptTree.

4 minutes ago, kt2 said:

Duplicating the sculpt object allows to bypass this behaviour although it feels counterintuitive and adds clutter to the SculptTree.

What do you suggest to fix the problem?
You can break the connection between 2 meshes. Rename Sculpt Mesh.

Just now, Gorbatovsky said:

What do you suggest to fix the problem?
You can break the connection between 2 meshes. Rename Sculpt Mesh.

Thanks, wasn't aware that renaming will work as well.

Ideally, I'd use a separate command in the Mesh drop-down menu to instantly produce an unlinked mesh  - similarly to the different options available in the Geometry menu within the Sculpt space.

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin @Gorbatovsky How does the link work?  Is it a conform to sculpt mesh link?  Or are you sculpting a modified version of the retopo mesh?

I think for clarity, there should be some indication in the sculpt room, when you are working on a retopo mesh.  My suggestion would be to have a Quads/Ngon object type in the sculpt room...maybe you could call it polymesh mode or polygon mode...with the option of connecting it with a more traditional voxel or sculpt mesh object...this would be the equivalent of conform retopo object to sculpt, but control the linkage in the Voxtree instead of the checkbox in the top left.  With some kind of warning, if you're using a tool that will break the linkage, like boolean operations.

Additionally, there should be an option to work directly on quad based meshes not linked to any sculpt object in the sculpt room.  It seems like some of the functionality is there, because I can make a model object, then do a non-destructive catmull-clark subdivision, then sculpt on it, with the changes being updated on the low poly quad model.   It's unclear though, because the model 'lives' in the retopo or model space and it's not clear that there is a linkage in the sculpt room, because it appears as a regular surface object layer.  

To take it a step further, I think the tools on the left should be context sensitive depending on what kind of mesh layer you're working with...Voxel/Surface/Quad/UV'd/etc and the voxtree/layers/curves/retopo objects/etc should be combined into a proper outliner with checkbox filters to show/hide the things you want to see and work with.

Perhaps this becomes part of the roadmap for 3DCoat 2022/23 once all the bugs are addressed in 2021

Edited by gbball

• Advanced Member

To go another step further, it would be nice if there was a space in 3D coat where you could just work on everything without switching rooms.  You can keep the rooms for more specialized workflows, but having a space where you can just do everything would be nice.  The sculpt room is the closest to that currently.  Of course, having an outliner and context sensitive toolset would be key.

• Like 1

Firstly congratulations to the dev's, Version 2021 appears to be a huge improvement over 4.x.

However, is there some form of weird memory corruption going on? I don't think it can be hardware related. I have 4.9.72 and 2021 B39 and B40 installed on two separate computers (workstation i7 3930K cpu, 64Gb ram and an 11Gb Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, and laptop i7 6700HQ, 16Gb ram and GTX 1070).

Each version of B39 and B40 are behaving differently on each computer.

Neither B39 nor B40 will bake a retopo mesh (Bake w/ Normal map per pixel) on the workstation but both versions will bake on the laptop.

Three days ago the 3D connexion spacemouse was causing instant shutdown on the workstation, this I managed to resolve by reprogramming the buttons, and it worked perfectly yesterday. Today all the 3d mouse buttons are altered - the macro name and keyboard shortcut have become swapped - ie: shortcut macro "Num 6" has become the name and the name "Right" has become the keyboard shortcut.

image.thumb.png.d60ba80c311264e36ad0eb701f2cfc82.png

Brush symmetry appears to work fine for all brushes, however none of the stroke based brushes are working correctly (weird offset results)

image.png.946cb716a81195aaee93e5fee4d66d61.png

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 Open Beta test !
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic